has anyone reamed out the glow plug hole?

I wouldn't ream out with a drill bit but maybe a fine wire pipe cleaner

https://www.moleroda.com/product/tube-brushes-6mm-shank/?attribute_size-grit=GTS%2B24mm%2Bdiameter%2B240grit&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI4snorP6k1gIVaLvtCh3b0QIPEAQYAiABEgLVvPD_BwE

Any carbon build up there shouldn't affect the glow plugs though so can I ask why you're doing it?

I've never cleaned out the slot for the glow plug when changing them and not had a problem. 

It's a good video with sensible tips for safely removing and avoiding snapping them. I had even known of such a tool but they're on eBay cheap enough

https://www.ebay.co.uk/i/202029131356  

If you are going to clean any carbon out I'd use the proper tool and not on the cheap using a drill bit though as dropping one down the slot is going to end in misery. 

OK, thanks for the reply. Yes, using a drill bit had not even crossed my mind to do. Sounds very dangerous.

The brush tool you sent the link for looks good, although as the NGK vid shows, they use a grease to collect the carbon and bring it back out.

Your eBay link didn't seem to work?

Edited by Skoda_newby

Probably an arse covering exercise.

I'm not sure what the clearance is around the glow plug but if it is on the small side as the video suggests then it could bind when removing or installing new ones if it is packed with carbon so maybe using that tool every time isn't a bad idea, then again they usually last a long time so whether its worth purchasing the tool is debatable.

Hence my post. I hadn't seen any posts on here about reaming the hole and now that I am about to change my plugs I did some research and came across the vid. It is interesting and makes sense. I guess if you're powering up and down the motorway each day, there would be very little buildup (have a mate who's done 200k and still on his first set, and also has no delay on starting), but if you putt-putt around, there may be more? Don't know. Anyway, I was just putting it out there to see who carries out the exercise.

Edited by Skoda_newby

11 hours ago, nige8021 said:

Yes, saw this yesterday. Have you used this tool then?

Also, edit, just checked, the nose of the glow plug seems to be 5mm dia. This would be no good then.

Edited by Skoda_newby

52 minutes ago, langers2k said:

I recently changed my glow plugs and didn't use a reamer.

It wasn't mentioned in the workshop manual for my Octavia, still, the tips shown in the video for removal are useful :)

Where they difficult to remove? Do you think in hindsight some penetrating oil would have been beneficial?

58 minutes ago, Skoda_newby said:

Where they difficult to remove? Do you think in hindsight some penetrating oil would have been beneficial?

I applied plus gas for 3-4 days prior to removal. I also did my normal commute to get the engine up to temperature which may have helped it penetrate.

When I did remove them, they came straight out without issue so I would definitely suggest using penetrating oil.

• Like 1

Yes, saw that too. I really like the idea of the deburring tool and packing it with grease before putting it down the shaft (like NGK suggest on the reaming tool). My thoughts are that the grease will hold the deposits between the bristles. I guess it's similar in approach. What I don't know is what damage a bit of carbon can do if dropped into a cylinder?

Will it score the walls badly and cause oil leakage/usage or will it be simply blown out the exhaust?

Edited by Skoda_newby
CLARIFICATION