2014 vrs overheated

hi I bought a 2014 Octavia vrs yesterday and got about 15/20 mins from the garage and it started to overheat. I was stuck in traffic for about 10mins with stop starting traffic and all ok.i only noticed the temp when all the warning lights come on so I stopped and heard the fan running fully and then them tamp gauge started to go down so I started to move and it went back up to the rad.i checked the water and was ok so can any one advice what this could be.

This happened when I bought one of mine. Trip home overheated. It was the water pump.

Nasty garage trick selling a car like that

Edited by S00perb

This is getting more and more common.

My 2014 vRS TDI did the same thing on Friday driving home (80k km on the clock). going into the dealer this week... :(

There are quite a few people who have had this problem out of warrenty & managed to get some of the costs covered by Skoda as its seems they are accepting it is an inherent design problem.

Edited by Gabbo

21 hours ago, chris1973 said:

hi I bought a 2014 Octavia vrs yesterday and got about 15/20 mins from the garage and it started to overheat. I was stuck in traffic for about 10mins with stop starting traffic and all ok.i only noticed the temp when all the warning lights come on so I stopped and heard the fan running fully and then them tamp gauge started to go down so I started to move and it went back up to the rad.i checked the water and was ok so can any one advice what this could be.

Is it a TDI? Secondly if you bought it from a Skoda dealer and has been serviced by the dealer network you may have a some luck with a discount or out of warranty repair. Good luck. I once bought a 4 yr old 5 series that killed its catalytic converter about 3 months into ownership and got zero assistance. Not a nice experience. 

Edited by Redboy

5 hours ago, donny1972 said:

You'll be needing a full timing belt kit as well so I'd expect 300 to 350 of using an independent or prob near 500 of you go to stealers.

The cynic in me wonders if this is why the timing belt replacement mileage has jumped up so much; they know the water pump will always go way earlier - and they get changed together

Interesting.

I've noticed a couple of times driving to work, my car has been sat in traffic, and my temp guage has gone to just below the red line, stayed there for a minute or two, then sorted itself.

Did any of you guys see similar, or did yours go straight to overheated? Also had to refill the coolant recently, so certainly feels like a similar issue.

2 hours ago, SnailUK said:

I've noticed a couple of times driving to work, my car has been sat in traffic, and my temp guage has gone to just below the red line, stayed there for a minute or two, then sorted itself.

Did any of you guys see similar, or did yours go straight to overheated? Also had to refill the coolant recently, so certainly feels like a similar issue.

I would say you have the symptoms of the same issue.

The fact you are in traffic & at idle probably prevented the temperature from rising so high (as the car is not Under load).

It just dépends when the water pump collar releases & allows cold coolant to flow.

Basically, unless you are doing something quite extreme like towing in hot conditions, the coolant should stay at 90° on the gauge as the water pump & coolant fan take care of the regulation.

Edited by Gabbo

On 25/09/2017 at 07:33, donny1972 said:

Let me know how you get on with price. Iam on 37k miles and expect the worst to happen soon. 

So main dealer wants £480 for pump and timing belt plus £90 for diagnostic check. Car going into independent garage tomorrow £30 diagnostic has been fine since last Sunday.

It really sounds like 2013/14 models have a faulty pump design.

Mine went the same way at 32k miles a few months ago. If you have a dealer service history id suggest you push them to see what contribution they might get for you.

Skoda CS suggested that any contribution cost was for the dealer to pay, which seems quite unfair as they didnt manufacture the item!

Anyone know what the timing belt interval is ? Mines lasted to 3 yrs and 50k odd now, would make sense to switch out the water pump same time for one with the improved spec so I'd like to see the recommend part no for sure

Doesn't need the belt, my water pump went in July at 47K and Skoda said it does not need changing.  By the time it is due I'll probably have changed the car anyway.  Having said that it might be worth considering if you're intending to keep it as a long termer.  Also speak to Skoda Customer Services, they will (usually) give something as a good will gesture.

13 hours ago, renton said:

Doesn't the petrol have a timing chain and not a belt?

I'd love to know mate ! Also interesting to know how many of the failures are TDI as I'm struggling to see any posts of TSI specifically ? Mines on 50+k and yet to have any of this.