Just noticed this ???

Hi all

while polishing car today (1st time I've done it) I noticed this ?? On further investigation it appears it's not painted.

i did ask on the forum before buying due to the fact it wasn't painted under the bonnet and replies said they were like that.

what do you's think ???

due a service shortly so will be asking 

cheers

IMG_2973.JPG

Thanks for the replies 

When I asked on the forum about it not being painted some people said it was normal and a link was put up showing a film of a Superb, clearly shows  it wasn't painted (a woman explains how've to open bonnet ) and you can see.

When I had another look at the car before buying nothing was painted in the engine compartment, bulkhead the lot . Dealer also said again it hadn't been in a accident 

cat see how it's been rubbing as it's the hinge end and as no movement and doesn't catch when you open the bonnet

the more I look at it (cos I've now noticed it) it just looks like it hasn't been painted

21 hours ago, Snapper1725 said:

Hi all

while polishing car today (1st time I've done it) I noticed this ?? On further investigation it appears it's not painted.

i did ask on the forum before buying due to the fact it wasn't painted under the bonnet and replies said they were like that.

what do you's think ???

due a service shortly so will be asking 

cheers

IMG_2973.JPG

Watch this video (skip to 14.45min) 

Edited by Lyminton

Is this definitely lack of paint? It looks a bit like car polish that has not been wiped off. I had a similar look on my old car after going overboard on using polish and not buffing it off in the tight areas.

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

So was that 'within spec' other than where there was no colour coat.

Some (edit)  of us that do paint refinishing do 'Within Spec' as that is what we can do, to Factory Finish or better, because the factory finish is not always good.

So 'within spec' still does not mean the panel has the Factory Paint and not a repair since, Transit damage / repair, 

but as i say, that can be better than Factory...

Edited by Headinawayoffski
  • Like 2

Could well have been repainted at the PDI centre before registration. All PDI centres have a bodyshop onsite to repair in transit damage. When I worked for Hertz, I saw some of our Fiats being unloaded at the PDI site at Portbury in Bristol. One Punto had the roof caved-in and another had terrible orange peel on the bonnet and hatchback. At least 5% had some form of body damage which needed to be rectified prior to registration. Many had interior parts missing and spare wheels had disappeared too. 

Anyway, as others have said, that looks like it could be rubbing/finishing compound. Have you tried getting a dampened microfibre in there and see it it'll come off? As it sounds like it might've been there some time, so it might be a little stubborn to remove. 

• Like 1