Driving mode default

I thought it should always start in the mode that was selected when ignition was turned off???

That's certainly the case according to the manual...

"Note
The set driving mode remains stored even after switching the ignition on and off."

I only use "Individual" as the other pre-defined modes change settings I don't want changed (such as steering). My car always starts in Individual mode with my previous settings enabled.

• Thanks 1

I’m new to this, but just got the app and found this for the Superb 3:

The driving mode selection is performed in one of the following ways.

• By repeatedly pressing the button .
  • By tapping the relevant function surface on the Infotainment screen Fig. 306,

After switching the ignition off and on, the drive is set to Normal in the current driving mode. To change the drive setting, select the relevant driving mode again.

So it does differ from yours. I will dig further into the manual.

Thanks

Mine's MY16. Too many updates since then that try to fix something that isn't broken. Another example was the simplicity of searching for specific POIs on the MY16 that became a veritable minefield with the MY17 update.

I hope you find an answer or that someone else comes up with a solution. It sounds like the kind of thing that might be changed with VCDS. Perhaps our resident VCDS guru @Gizmo might find a solution!

I just noticed this too. I thought it was a bug but then found it explained in the manual so it's designed this way. Just have to remember to shift the gear stick down to select sport mode every time you start which is a bit dumb.

My MY17 will remember the mode but not for the gearbox.  It always defaults to D. Not a major issue as I use this most of the time.  Just a shame that E is a hassle to get to.  Would be better as an actual button a la Honda, Nissan etc.

Sport is too aggressive in the 220 in my opinion.  It could do with a 4th option.  Sharper throttle, get out of 1st quickly then hang on to 2nd and 3rd a bit before using the remaining gears as per D.  

S just spins the wheels in 1st like some spanner 17 year old is working the gearbox for me.  Then when up to speed it holds onto too low a gear like a pensioner has taken over gearbox duties.

On 07/10/2017 at 18:39, dg360 said:

My MY17 will remember the mode but not for the gearbox.  It always defaults to D. Not a major issue as I use this most of the time.  Just a shame that E is a hassle to get to.  Would be better as an actual button a la Honda, Nissan etc.

Sport is too aggressive in the 220 in my opinion.  It could do with a 4th option.  Sharper throttle, get out of 1st quickly then hang on to 2nd and 3rd a bit before using the remaining gears as per D.  

S just spins the wheels in 1st like some spanner 17 year old is working the gearbox for me.  Then when up to speed it holds onto too low a gear like a pensioner has taken over gearbox duties.

I have a feeling the tyres are not up to the job but chopping approx £600 is not really an option at this stage.

I leave it in Ind and use the Eco g'box most of the time and use the stick to knock it back into sport when required, especially traffic lights or going down slip roads.  Maybe I should kickdown when overtaking but find this works ok. Don't tend to leave it in sport though as it pulls great anyway.

My 17 plate retains the mode used during previous journey. I always drive in Individual mode.

I drive as Bud above, just pull the stick back for that extra bit of ooommph when needed.

1 hour ago, Smudgers said:

My 17 plate retains the mode used during previous journey. I always drive in Individual mode.

Same - mine (MY17) will also retain the last driving mode used.

I'm mostly on Individual mode.

IMAG1273.thumb.jpg.caa523c6fcaf84caf73d78ac51b9be39.jpg

Edited by JR RS

32 minutes ago, Auswede said:

But can anyone start their car and see their gears in S1,S2 etc rather than D1, D2?

Thats the point I was trying to make.

You can't - I don't think.

1 hour ago, Coops said:

You can't - I don't think.

I've never found a way.  The same goes for E1, E2, etc unless you switch out of Eco mode and back in again.

Is there a driving mode that automatically smells my breath and goes into 'Drunk driver - full assist, no override'?

Just been and checked

In individual mode the following happens :

ECO mode - will start in ECO with E1 etc shown

SPORT mode - will start in standard Drive with D1 etc shown

The only way I can rationalise this is that it may be considerd a safety issue if car is alway in Sport mode at start up - what with quicker throttle responce etc - just a hunch ?

1 hour ago, simhub said:

That's interesting. I tried setting drive = eco in individual mode and it still started in D1. Did your change anything else? 

My dealer tried that for me. It didn’t work either (DSG, 17 plate)

Driving modes and Transmission modes are two different things!!

D-mode, S-mode, M-mode for DSG/Auto Transmission is not the same as Drive modes available.

Hence the default mode will always be in D-mode when you start up.

You can't make it default to S-mode or M-mode.

10 hours ago, JR RS said:

Driving modes and Transmission modes are two different things!!

D-mode, S-mode, M-mode for DSG/Auto Transmission is not the same as Drive modes available.

Hence the default mode will always be in D-mode when you start up.

You can't make it default to S-mode or M-mode.

^ This. DSG pre-sets are not available via mode settings - it always starts up in "D". Only items in the "individual" mode menu are affected...