Another free performance modification? Opinions on this

So... I came across this video and was a bit sceptical about the results or outcome, but...

I did it anyway, and although it might be placebo, the car does feel different.

Anyone else want to try or chip in with opinions/experiences?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

You know what? Just went to test this on a longer test drive and call me crazy, but I think it works!

Definitely I could feel more torque on the lower rev bands and in 3rd gear it was picking up like a rocket.

I currently don't have the time or patience, or otherwise I would run some logs (namely the turbo boost pressure) with the mod and without, but it feels there is more power there.

I reached briefly 180kph when merging to a motorway and I am pretty sure it got there way faster than before the mod.

Come on, others try it and let me know I am not just hallucinating :)

1 minute ago, ahenners said:

My German understanding is practically none existent, what exactly does it do? This guy's videos and knowledge have always seemed good.

I have 0 German skills also.

This seems to enable some "sport +" mode that is only on some exclusive models.

In a nutshell, sharper throttle and also has (if I understood right...) a 10 second "over boost" mode in which the car has much more power available.

I thought this was a bit... too out there, but since you can always toggle it back, I just gave it a shot, hoping not to notice any difference.

...but it turns out I do :)

• Like 2

Correct me if I'm wrong, as I've just looked at what he has done on vcds rather than listen to any german, but that just looks like the Audi throttle mod.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

So, the guy was looking for an overboost function, as was found on the Golf, giving a power/torque boost for a 10 second period, but didn't find it.

He did however find the ability to tell the ECU which manufacturer was using the ECU  (Seat/Skoda/Audi, etc ). When set to Audi it codes a quicker reaction to inputs from the accelerator.

The increased sensitivity works across all driving modes ( Eco, normal, sport ) Making, for example Eco react like normal, normal like sport.

Edited by Danbury_Collins
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Octy0GG said:

Does this apply to all engines?

When I tried it on my 2015 1.4TSI the coding change was accepted but all the other modules on the Powertrain CAN bus threw errors that wouldn't clear even when clearing them and cycling the ignition which meant that I had no ABS or ACC. So I had to revert back to the Skoda coding.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, SWBoy said:

When I tried it on my 2015 1.4TSI the coding change was accepted but all the other modules on the Powertrain CAN bus threw errors that wouldn't clear even when clearing them and cycling the ignition which meant that I had no ABS or ACC. So I had to revert back to the Skoda coding.

The same on my MY2014 2.0 TDI with DSG.

But the other trick works well. :)

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, SWBoy said:

I'll definitely give that a try - thnx :thumbup:

As a 'side effect' the steering wheel becomes heavier but I like it.

When I use 'normal' setting (with the MODE button) it is somewhere between 'normal' and 'sport'.

In 'sport' it's even heavier - this is my favourite setting. :)

• Like 1

16 hours ago, aki78 said:

As a 'side effect' the steering wheel becomes heavier but I like it.

When I use 'normal' setting (with the MODE button) it is somewhere between 'normal' and 'sport'.

In 'sport' it's even heavier - this is my favourite setting. :)

That sounds good to me...

I have my Golf in Sport all the time....

& another free performance mod is to stop the engine cutting out the ignition sparks to stop you wheel spinning....also know as "starting vibration reduction" in the adaptions of the ABS unit (03)...mine was set to strong...now at weakest on my list "normal"

Bloody PITA, even on my engine (140PS)....floor throttle to get across roundabout in fast heavy traffic & the engine always felt "hesitant" if dry road...on wet it would wheel hop & XDS would kick in....

Did the mod recently out of desperation.....floored it at a big 50mph limit roundabout I know well.................actually swore.....the car shot forward, no intervention, no wheel spin as dry road...& now I can use the 225 wide tyres

Edited by fabdavrav
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, fabdavrav said:

I have my Golf in Sport all the time....

& another free performance mod is to stop the engine cutting out the ignition sparks to stop you wheel spinning....also know as "starting vibration reduction" in the adaptions of the ABS unit (03)...mine was set to strong...now at weakest on my list "normal"

Bloody PITA, even on my engine (140PS)....floor throttle to get across roundabout in fast heavy traffic & the engine always felt "hesitant" if dry road...on wet it would wheel hop & XDS would kick in....

Did the mod recently out of desperation.....floored it at a big 50mph limit roundabout I know well.................actually swore.....the car shot forward, no intervention, no wheel spin as dry road...& now I can use the 225 wide tyres

What Golf do you have?