Chaning front tires

Hi guys

Just got my car in for its first service on Friday and the one thing that came up was that the front tires need replacing pretty soon.

Thankfully the dealer didn't try to upsell me on tires from them, told me I'd be better off getting them online (nice one Fish Brothers Skoda!).

Anyways, I just want to replace the front as money is a bit tight currently so should I be ok replacing with non-Pirellis? If so, what would be recommended?

I know the Goodyear F1 Asymetrics have a great reputation here, but it would be good to get something a bit cheaper at the moment.

EDIT: Just looking at Black Circles at the moment and the Yokohama Advan Fleva V701 seem comparable the the Goodyear F1s but are quieter and cheaper. I'm wandering what the catch is.

Edited by LemonLime

1 minute ago, LemonLime said:

Hi guys

Just got my car in for its first service on Friday and the one thing that came up was that the front tires need replacing pretty soon.

Thankfully the dealer didn't try to upsell me on tires from them, told me I'd be better off getting them online (nice one Fish Brothers Skoda!).

Anyways, I just want to replace the front as money is a bit tight currently so should I be ok replacing with non-Pirellis? If so, what would be recommended?

I know the Goodyear F1 Asymetrics have a great reputation here, but it would be good to get something a bit cheaper at the moment.

If you have the vRS230 as your tag says, I would not be wanting to put cheap tyres on it on the front.

3 minutes ago, LemonLime said:

Cheaper not necessarily budget tires.

Ok that's good news.

I have the Continental sport contact 5's on mine as they were what was already on the car. I prefer to have all the same tyres on the car, so can't really be of much help I'm afraid.

I swear by Goodyears, but also don't discount Vredestein Vortis if you want a good, reasonably priced performance tyre.

I've also got a vrs230 and found it to be very hard on front tyres, so I've already replaced a set of the awful Pirellis with some Goodyear Asym3s, which have been put on the rear so I can wear down the other Pirellis. Only done 18k in the car and the fronts are close to being replaced again already.

Could be my driving style, could be that the Pirellis don't last long, could be that having a DSG is a factor, could be I'm running 290bhp and 470nm ... Who knows??

I've also changed to 235/35/19s to give a little extra width to protect the alloys.

Do you guys wait until you’re due to change - meaning at or around the 1.6mm legal depth, or do you change well before? 

My front tyres are at around 2.3 just not possibly, I know their close to the bar indicator on the tyres and I’m wondering should I change within the next few weeks with the bad weather starting? 

Rears were done with AS3 around 3 months ago, fronts will be getting the same! 

24 minutes ago, StuFan said:

Do you guys wait until you’re due to change - meaning at or around the 1.6mm legal depth, or do you change well before?

I have always started looking for new tyres when they are down to 3mm as in my experience they seem to wear more rapidly below that, and in tyre tests done by independent magazines the wet grip drops very sharply below 3mm.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, StuFan said:

My front tyres are at around 2.3 just not possibly, I know their close to the bar indicator on the tyres and I’m wondering should I change within the next few weeks with the bad weather starting? 

Rears were done with AS3 around 3 months ago, fronts will be getting the same! 

Partly depends on how you drive and mileage.

If you drive sensibly and reasonably cautiously all the time, taking the elements into consideration then not majorly important to swap early.

However, if you can afford it, or especially if you drive spiritedly, even occasionally then new tyres earlier would be recommended.

I looked into this a while ago and IIRC it was shown that tyres close to their minimum were substantially less able to cope with differing conditions and grip and braking ability was considerably reduced. More tread less likely to aquaplane too, All quite logical really.

Unless you have a real preference for supplier, I would just go online, put in the tyre détails & choose "premium" from the selection.

You wont go wrong with any tyre from Conti, Goodyear, Vredstein, Pirelli or other reputable brand.

You can choose whichever is on offer & I'm sure they will have almost the same dry, wet & noise ratings.

Everyone has their own preference, but I've had Conti, Goodyear & Pirelli on our cars in the last couple of years & I dont feel or hear any difference between any of them.

If you want some real test results several site like AutoCar, WhatCar or RAC/AA or Swiss TCS have yearly tyre reviews with ratings/rankings.

However, I'm never sure these days how many of these reviews are genuine & how many are "sponsored" by manufacturers.

Dunlop, Continental, Pirelli, Goodyear,  Michelin, etc, VW Group and others seem to go wrong with these Premium Brands, fitting the ECO models, 

the supposed Fuel Economy giving ones.

So maybe do not fit like for like OEM from these 'Premium Brands',   think about it, location location location and if the Tyres are your All Season, All Weather, All year round tyre choose wisely, because in lots of Continental European countries those Factory Fitted Premium Brand tyres are not on the vehicles in winter.