Octavia RS 230 - Make Soundaktor Louder

Hey everyone

I have a 2017 RS 230, not the most recent face lift one, didn't like the new front on it. I have a question regarding the soundaktor, firstly I don't understand why people would not like a sporty sound, personal choice of course, but I think it is great.

Now my question is, can it be made to be louder, its on max now but can it be louder using OBD tricks for example ?

Secondly, for external sound, has anyone done a straight pipe (mid muffler delete) in an RS 230 ? And if so how much and does it break any noise rules for UK MOT as im sure Irish NCT is similar limits ?

The car already has a nice enough fruity noise when revving, even some nice splutters but would love to have it a bit louder, not Nissan Micra louder with some stupid exhaust though.

Any ideas ?

Thanks

Colm

IMG_20170205_135457.jpg

Edited by colmsmyth

I can’t remeber what the volume is by default but assuming it’s not already at 100%, then yes you can make it louder using VCDS, OBDELEVEN etc. 

WRT your first observation. If you’ve ever driven a car with 5+ cylinders you’ll understand why people don’t like it. Engines like that have a nice burble and noise when under load.  The sound generator just makes a load of noise that doesn’t fit the scenario. 

29 minutes ago, SC03OTT said:

I can’t remeber what the volume is by default but assuming it’s not already at 100%, then yes you can make it louder using VCDS, OBDELEVEN etc. 

WRT your first observation. If you’ve ever driven a car with 5+ cylinders you’ll understand why people don’t like it. Engines like that have a nice burble and noise when under load.  The sound generator just makes a load of noise that doesn’t fit the scenario. 

Thanks for the reply...I think when Sport mode is enabled the system is 100% volume but I wonder can it actually go louder, guess I would need to get OBDEleven and see to be sure....

Unsure re: the OBD fettling, but on your mid-muffler delete: I believe, whilst technically it can be done, the 230 exhaust (2016) is fairly specific to that spec of VRS, and the pipe itself will be "a complete ballache" to chop / change / weld (as per references from the mechanics I used to fit a full turbo-back Scorpion system). 

It's basically one big solid piece, with the design in place so that it sounded fruitier than the 2014 (220) VRSs.

It's my personal belief - especially with this newer marque of the VRS230 - that 'buying nice, rather than buying twice' is the best way to go, and better investments in time and money can be made in a decent cat-back system - as they're made specifically for the cars, and have the purpose of 'adding to the sound / performance', over 'taking away from what's there already'.

The muffler 'delete' has the potential to mess with your internal pressures too, so might get the lambda sensor error.

#JustSayin', from someone who's personally seen (and done) muffler-deletes poorly on previous cars :) 

1 hour ago, colmsmyth said:

Hey everyone

I have a 2017 RS 230, not the most recent face lift one, didn't like the new front on it. I have a question regarding the soundaktor, firstly I don't understand why people would not like a sporty sound, personal choice of course, but I think it is great.

Now my question is, can it be made to be louder, its on max now but can it be louder using OBD tricks for example ?

Secondly, for external sound, has anyone done a straight pipe (mid muffler delete) in an RS 230 ? And if so how much and does it break any noise rules for UK MOT as im sure Irish NCT is similar limits ?

The car already has a nice enough fruity noise when revving, even some nice splutters but would love to have it a bit louder, not Nissan Micra louder with some stupid exhaust though.

Any ideas ?

Thanks

Colm

IMG_20170205_135457.jpg

Looking at my adaptation history, the original value was 100%. You could just leave it in sport mode all the time, but you can't have it louder than that. Surprised you want to, I dropped mine to about 35% and sometimes it's still a bit unnecessary on a slight incline and steady throttle on the motorway.

Straight through was done by someone with a 220 some time ago and wasn't recommended. Apparently droned and it didn't sound great.

Thanks everyone for the replies....good to know on the volume max level...if it can't go more than 100% then that's cool.

Regarding the muffler delete, I would rather avoid doing this and get a proper Remus or Scorpion system but sadly the price is too much to convince 'herself' lol...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, colmsmyth said:

sadly the price is too much to convince 'herself' lol...

Harsh times, my friend. I'd make an 'Exhaust Piggy bank' and make a real show of popping EUR 10.00 in it each week ;)

• Like 1

On 27/10/2017 at 13:05, colmsmyth said:

Thanks everyone for the replies....good to know on the volume max level...if it can't go more than 100% then that's cool.

Regarding the muffler delete, I would rather avoid doing this and get a proper Remus or Scorpion system but sadly the price is too much to convince 'herself' lol...

Dont go against the grain on this forum. People slate you for it. 

If if you like the sound actuator good on you. Not everyone is the same. 

Enjoy your motor :)

16 minutes ago, Tim1631 said:

Dont go against the grain on this forum. People slate you for it. 

If if you like the sound actuator good on you. Not everyone is the same. 

Enjoy your motor :)

LOL... Life's too short not to push against the grain, if people get upset by that sure the door is over there haha... 

Yeah I love the actuator, no problem saying that. 

Edited by colmsmyth
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, colmsmyth said:

LOL... Life's too short not to push against the grain, if people get upset by that sure the door is over there haha... 

Yeah I love the actuator, no problem saying that. 

I like the sound on my 245 too, mostly have the sound on sport and dcc on comfort with the Drive on normal! 

• Like 1

On 27/10/2017 at 11:06, colmsmyth said:

I don't understand why people would not like a sporty sound.

A fake noise with added vibration?  No thanks. I even object to having had to pay for the facility being fitted to the car. 

What's next? Synthetic aroma of Castrol 'R' for that authentic old racing car experience? 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

28 minutes ago, juan27 said:

A fake noise with added vibration?  No thanks. I even object to having had to pay for the facility being fitted to the car. 

What's next? Synthetic aroma of Castrol 'R' for that authentic old racing car experience? 

Its getting quite embarrassing now

On 10/29/2017 at 09:44, Tim1631 said:

Its getting quite embarrassing now

I assume you're referring to your earlier post?

OK each to their own.  I'm obviously more than happy for anyone to have whatever noises they like in their car.  Its when they say they can't understand why anyone wouldn't want the same that I felt the need to comment

Sticking to the OPs original point their are lots of posts around the internet about turning the noise generator off, and I think that is done by a %age master volume control that you can access through VCDS.  I may be mistaken but I'm sure I saw a post where the setting before turning down to 0% was 67%, so there may be some leeway for turning it up.  

Colm are you in the north of ireland/Northern ireland :biggrin:

I have a new VCDS cable and have it working on my laptop if you need to tweak any settings. Im on the North Coast.

car looks great btw :thumbup:

Edited by JohnnyType2

On 30/10/2017 at 13:59, juan27 said:

I assume you're referring to your earlier post?

OK each to their own.  I'm obviously more than happy for anyone to have whatever noises they like in their car.  Its when they say they can't understand why anyone wouldn't want the same that I felt the need to comment

Sticking to the OPs original point their are lots of posts around the internet about turning the noise generator off, and I think that is done by a %age master volume control that you can access through VCDS.  I may be mistaken but I'm sure I saw a post where the setting before turning down to 0% was 67%, so there may be some leeway for turning it up.  

No not at all. Your post is embarrassing 

For the OP's original question....I've just plugged in VCDS and it appears you can make it louder...if like mine the default setting is 69.8%

vcdss.png

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, juan27 said:

For the OP's original question....I've just plugged in VCDS and it appears you can make it louder...if like mine the default setting is 69.8%

vcdss.png

Can you use Carista to get to that setting??  

• 10 months later...

I'm enquiring with my local Skoda garage if they can turn up the sound actuator on my manual VRS245 as it seems very quiet over any gear other than 2nd, even in "sport mode".

Will report back, not hopeful as main dealers seem reluctant to change any settings.

Edited by JimmyUK

1 hour ago, JimmyUK said:

I'm enquiring with my local Skoda garage if they can turn up the sound actuator on my manual VRS245 as it seems very quiet over any gear other than 2nd, even in "sport mode".

Will report back, not hopeful as main dealers seem reluctant to change any settings.

Fit a Milltek Sport Cat back exhaust that should sort the noise issue out!:notme:

• Haha 1