Locked out!?!

Hi

currently sat in Leeds (stranded) having been out for dinner with my family.

My wife was designated driver and opened the rear door, put her bag down (with key inside) and shut the door. We then spent around 3 mins saying our farewells to the family and the car locked itself. 

So I am now locked out whilst I wait for my wife to get a lift home to collect the spare key and get a lift back to Leeds!!

Having owned 6 VAG cars I’ve never previously had this issue. 

I thought the way it worked was that if the car was unlocked and any door opened that the auto re-lock function was shut off!?

can anyone offer advice?

thanks

I always thought that it was any door including boot that disabled the re lock function. I am fairly sure that when I have only opened the boot the car has not locked a few mins later. 

Edited by POWYSWALES
Edit

When I collected my Octy the salesman specifically warned me against using the boot open button then shutting the key in the boot. Apparently if you open the boot only it relocks immediately you shut it?

5 hours ago, juan27 said:

Apparently if you open the boot only it relocks immediately you shut it?

Yes, that's right. The boot open button, just opens the boot and switches off the alarm. No doors get unlocked. As soon as the boot is closed the alarm switches back on.

Unlocking the doors and manually opening the boot or any other door should prevent the car relocking though. This is with a mk2, but a mk3 should be the same and I always keep the key on me rather than leave it in the car, just in case.

Edited by roo

2 hours ago, roo said:

Unlocking the doors and manually opening the boot or any other door should prevent the car relocking though. This is with a mk2, but a mk3 should be the same and I always keep the key on me rather than leave it in the car, just in case.

My 230 does as Roo discribes.  :nod:

Can this be altered in the Car settings, there is a section for locking/unlocking doors  " Single/Drivers/All "  

Edited by Auric Goldfinger

Every recent car does more-less the same with the boot button. Best practice with unlocking the boot is to return the key immediately in pocket, bag or where usually it belongs, upon unlocking. 

I was practicing this positive habit while owning Alfa without a spare key. :) Fun could it have been if I'd lost or locked the key inside. 

On 10/30/2017 at 12:24, nidza said:

Best practice with unlocking the boot is to return the key immediately in pocket, bag or where usually it belongs, upon unlocking. 

This doesn't help when getting outta of waterproofs having just played 18 holes of golf.

I had to get the company whos company car I did this in to taxi a spare key 85 miles to me !!!

Edited by themanwithnoaim
  • Haha 1

On 10/28/2017 at 21:53, brettikivi said:

driver's door only for auto re-lock disable.

- Bret

That is either a terrible design flaw or terribly thought out if that is the case.

Does it depend how you open the doors, ie one fob press or double fob press?

I understand why it does this with boot button, but not rear doors.

My MkII doesn't re-lock after just opening / closing rear door, but I have to press twice to open all doors.

Edited by Tilt

3 hours ago, Gabbo said:

To be fair I would have assumed the same, once you open any door the auto-relock would be disabled.

It works like this in any auto-lock car setup, not only in Škodas. If you unlock your car accidentally, it will lock itself up if no doors were open --> if no doors open, there is no way key can be in the car - simple as that.

Boot is the only exception, as there is no logical way to implement it differently then it is. Keyless entry is the only workaround. :)

On 10/28/2017 at 21:06, thomas5265 said:

Hi

currently sat in Leeds (stranded) having been out for dinner with my family.

My wife was designated driver and opened the rear door, put her bag down (with key inside) and shut the door. We then spent around 3 mins saying our farewells to the family and the car locked itself. 

So I am now locked out whilst I wait for my wife to get a lift home to collect the spare key and get a lift back to Leeds!!

Having owned 6 VAG cars I’ve never previously had this issue. 

I thought the way it worked was that if the car was unlocked and any door opened that the auto re-lock function was shut off!?

can anyone offer advice?

thanks

Have you tried this again, (assuming you have the car back now that is) to see if you can replicate this problem and to see if it re-locks?

It would seem our finnish friend is either incorrect, or their cars are set up differently in their country, although i cannot see why they would be.

I had this happen with the boot relocking after opening with the button, I used obdeleven to add the relocking delay, gives you 30 seconds to realise you've just shut the boot with your keys still in it

When you unlock the car and key is inside it wont lock until you move away from the car.

If you use key for unlocking the trunk only, after closing it shut, it locks automatically with key inside or out side, it doesn't matter.

Edited by Croat

5 hours ago, Croat said:

If you use key for unlocking the trunk only, after closing it shut, it locks automatically with key inside or out side, it doesn't matter.

There is a VCDS tweak to delay the boot re-locking for several seconds.

8 hours ago, Croat said:

When you unlock the car and key is inside it wont lock until you move away from the car.

How does this work? How does the car know wether you have moved away from it, or not.

I wonder if after unlocking the car and opening the back door the lock button was accidentally pressed. I have noticed that if I get out of the car and press the lock button before my wife has shut the passenger door the other doors all lock anyway and when she shuts her door it is locked when she shuts it.

As as I understand it passenger doors should not normally lock automatically once a door has been opened. Normally if you unlock and don't open a door the car will relock after a delay. Opening a door should stop this. 

Worth checking the door open switch on that door, if it is not working properly that could cause a problem. Does the maxidot display "door open" for that door? Does the interior lighting com on when door opens?

Edited by CCTaylor