Infomation required please, Sky Tv and Router.

Auric Goldfinger

Right, this is what we've got..........

Mrs G and myself have just purchaced a new build house and we are going to have Sky Tv and broadband. Yesterday we went see the showhouse and we had a good look around.

In every room apart from the bathroom and en-suite there are plug sockets, Tv sockets and sockets to run broadband / Tv around the house all positioned together in each room so the TV's can be wall mounted. We were told they were Cat 6 (what ever that means ) and the Sky dish can be fitted and the cable will/should be fitted via the Loft as thats where all the cables run to from all the TV/broadband sockets. The Sky cable from the loft is connected to a master box and then sent all over the house.  Thing that puzzles me is where do you put the Sky box and and any other sky boxes ( multi room setup ) and where do you put the router for broadband. I think it's done this way to prevent cables been run throught the house by the Sky Installers.  I'm thinking the sky boxes will have to be connected directly to the TV's, so whats the point of having all the fancy socket around the house.

Hope you understand what I've posted and as you can see I'm not technically minded.  Any Ideas Folks 

I'd double check that with someone else as that does not seem right. 

I'm in a new build house and the entire estate has a communal sky dish and terrestrial arial which is wired into the house to a master unit that also powers full fibre to the home broadband that the estate is wired with.  This then sends the tv signal to the sockets that are pre wired for a sky box. So id double check all of that

With the broadband, if you are wired for fibre to the home you may have to look at who you can use as an internet supplier as it is not well supported commercially, but you can get the same deals as normal broadband customers with bt. 

Our new build estate has individual sky dishes and FTTP. As Roo mentioned, if it's FTTP rather than FTTC you'll have a very short list of ISP's. I expect Sky should have refused your order if this were the case as they aren't offering FTTP yet.

Assuming it is FTTC, the broadband router should be connected wherever the telephone master socket is. Probably in a cupboard/storage space?

Main Sky box should be connected to the satellite dish, you'll probably have two connections in the lounge/living space at a guess? The other end should be somewhere obvious for a sky installer to connect to, ours was just stuck out of a south facing wall ready to connect the Sky dish to. If it is a communal Sky dish, the two connectors should still be there but already connected at the other end.

Other rooms are more likely to have TV antenna sockets rather than satellite sockets. Assuming you get Sky Q, the mini-boxes for other rooms don't need satellite dish connections, they just need a network connection either using WiFi or a network cable. Network cable should offer a more reliable service and will use the cat6 wiring you mentioned.

18 minutes ago, langers2k said:

Our new build estate has individual sky dishes and FTTP. As Roo mentioned, if it's FTTP rather than FTTC you'll have a very short list of ISP's. I expect Sky should have refused your order if this were the case as they aren't offering FTTP yet.

Assuming it is FTTC, the broadband router should be connected wherever the telephone master socket is. Probably in a cupboard/storage space?

Main Sky box should be connected to the satellite dish, you'll probably have two connections in the lounge/living space at a guess? The other end should be somewhere obvious for a sky installer to connect to, ours was just stuck out of a south facing wall ready to connect the Sky dish to. If it is a communal Sky dish, the two connectors should still be there but already connected at the other end.

Other rooms are more likely to have TV antenna sockets rather than satellite sockets. Assuming you get Sky Q, the mini-boxes for other rooms don't need satellite dish connections, they just need a network connection either using WiFi or a network cable. Network cable should offer a more reliable service and will use the cat6 wiring you mentioned.

But the Sky Q Mini boxes have to be pluged into the TV's. I can't see the point of hiding all the plugs/sockets behind the wall mounted TV's and then have a seperate cable from the mini box dangling from the TV 

It's all rather confusing 

Edited by Auric Goldfinger

I think it's common for people to velcro the Sky Q minibox directly to the rear of the TV when they are wall mounted.

All it needs is power so you should be able to hide everything assume there is a suitable power socket behind the TV too.

These is whats fitted in every room, sorry not a good picture as it's cropped from a larger picture but it gives you an idea 

You can't Velcro the Sky Master box behing the TV though, at our old house we had Virgin but theres no Virgin in the area we are moving to, hence Sky

IMG_1442.jpg

So that's behind where you'd wall mount a TV? If so, it looks like it's designed for smart TV's with either freesat or freeview builtin as that's about every connection they could need. If that's all you wanted then there would be no cables on show.

However, it doesn't appear the developers haven't put much thought into people using gaming consoles, blueray players or any other STB like Sky. You could have asked them run a HDMI connection from that set of sockets to somewhere to put any other AV equipment. What sort of height are the sockets at? Seems odd to assume everyone would want wall mounted TV's in the same places...

Given what you've shown, you could leave the main Sky Q box somewhere out of the way with a sat connection (two left most connections) and only use Sky Q mini boxes in each room?

Noone ever said the actions of developers and house designers were required to make sense...

"People like wall mounted tvs, lets put them in every room!"

1 hour ago, langers2k said:

So that's behind where you'd wall mount a TV? If so, it looks like it's designed for smart TV's with either freesat or freeview builtin as that's about every connection they could need. If that's all you wanted then there would be no cables on show.

However, it doesn't appear the developers haven't put much thought into people using gaming consoles, blueray players or any other STB like Sky. You could have asked them run a HDMI connection from that set of sockets to somewhere to put any other AV equipment. What sort of height are the sockets at? Seems odd to assume everyone would want wall mounted TV's in the same places...

Given what you've shown, you could leave the main Sky Q box somewhere out of the way with a sat connection (two left most connections) and only use Sky Q mini boxes in each room?

Thanks for that, makes a bit more sense now, we are not into consoles or blue rays to be honest, I'm/we are just after Sky in 2 rooms down stairs and the master bed room so it looks like it  can be done.  Need the Internet as well so hopefully we can get all that without to too much of a  problem. The low down plug sockets are about 6 inches above the skirting boards. If the 2 left connections are for sky what are the other 2 for ?. Also we have a EE WiFi bosater box at our present address as the phone signal in not very good, can that be added into the system in our new property if needed ?

Thanks

From that photo it looks like the non power sockets are: 2 sattelite plugs (so sky may be built into the estate), a general tv aerial plug and a connector for broadband, with the master plug elsewhere that would need a lead to plug between that line and the router.

But a better photo may prove me wrong.

19 minutes ago, roo said:

From that photo it looks like the non power sockets are: 2 sattelite plugs (so sky may be built into the estate), a general tv aerial plug and a connector for broadband, with the master plug elsewhere that would need a lead to plug between that line and the router.

But a better photo may prove me wrong.

I don't think the whole estate has Sky but each property has the same connections. The chap we spoke to yesterday says there's a master box in the boarded out loft and the sky cable needs to be connected to this box from the dish. 

Can you tell me please " Why does there need to be 2 Sky plugs fitted at one location. "

1 hour ago, langers2k said:

Basically, there are 2 plugs to allow Sky to show one channel while recording another.

Or record two channels while watching a previous recording.

• 1 month later...

As ROO says -

The single aerial plug is for the likes of Freeview /rectangular one is for data. Cat5/6 are both data. It's to the layman ( and me) just a protocol as in some rail lines are speed rated at 70, others are 125, so are data cables. 2 LNB are needed to record AND WATCH SEPARATE SKY channels. It's like on track- you need a UP FAST AND AN UP SLOW to run both fast passenger and slow freight in the same direction at the same time. LNB receive signals at satellite frequencies and convert it to a frequency the satellite box ( and the down lead cable ) can handle. Hope that sheds a bit of light.

Have you looked at Plusnet. 

Hopefully your builders have a TV technician who knows what he's doing.

Unlike, our developers who claimed to have fitted a media hub so the Sky could be shared around the house.

Unfortunately they:

1. didn't wire it in correctly

2. put it in the loft (like yours), and Sky's own installers aren't insured to go up on the roof, so the SAT cables came through the living room wall instead. (nowhere near the hub)(3 floors away in fact)

Modern TV's have freesat and netflix, why bother with SKY at all?

The BT or TalkTalk TV packages can come in through a standard UHF Freeview aerial / internet connection too.

Edited by camelspyyder