please advise on purchase

vadimo

Hello,

My first post here so brief introduction: I drive BMW 320D M Sport and my wife Ford Fiesta and we are planning to upgrade Fiesta to a new crossover SUV. I never had Skoda before - but my perception always been that its solid build car with comfort, reliability and good ride quality and this is what we expect from modern Skoda like Karoq.

I just learned about this model, we like panoramic electrical sunroof, the detachable seats and interested in top trim: EDITION, the 9" infotainment system looks like very good intuitive and i like the spec of the 1.5 TSI DSG Auto with decent on paper MPG.  I found good price on PCP and Cash methods of purchase. With that said it seems to sit nicely in between over 30k SUVs and anything in £20k range with it not been french or Japanese.

We are thinking to exploit deal further, i still think 6.1% APR and £1,500 deposit contribution is a bit stingy and want to negotiate either of these values. 

We want to buy car ideally end of November so we can get it asap, this means there will none of these to test drive and dealer offered to experience Kodiaq with similar 1.4 engine.

With any other car i would not even consider ordering like this (i compare it to buying a new property off plan) but with Skoda i have level of trust.

Can you advise if perhaps i trust too much and should wait to test drive it?

Also how are Skoda dealerships to deal with?

Thank you

Edited by vadimo
test

First thing is buying end of November. I would imagine you would be very lucky if you got one and it would be a "best fit" of what was available. The Yeti when it came out had a 40 week order time for some models I believe. In the later years of production built to order cars were still taking 16/20 weeks at times.

For a good price best to try the top thread in this sectionNew Skoda Karoq Deals and Offers

Quality of dealers is like with all marks very hit and miss. Some are excellent, others are not.

Colin

Just now, eribaMotters said:

First thing is buying end of November. I would imagine you would be very lucky if you got one and it would be a "best fit" of what was available. The Yeti when it came out had a 40 week order time for some models I believe. In the later years of production built to order cars were still taking 16/20 weeks at times.

For a good price best to try the top thread in this sectionNew Skoda Karoq Deals and Offers

Quality of dealers is like with all marks very hit and miss. Some are excellent, others are not.

Colin

i been told its 3-4 months lead times

21 minutes ago, vadimo said:

dealer offered to experience Kodiaq with similar 1.4 engine

A better comparison might be to try a Seat Ateca 1.4 Tsi (it's built for Seat by Skoda at the same plant that builds the Karoq). People with the 1.4 Tsi in the Kodiak do seem quite happy with it so I would think the same horsepower etc in the smaller Karoq will be good.

I think you'd be lucky to get much better than the deal on offer from skoda at the moment.

Yes the £1500 contribution is a bit low compared to others and the apr is slightly high, but this is a brand new model that is not even in uk showrooms yet so they could just as easily offered nothing. Also supply is going to be short for a while as the factory builds up to full production so it can supply the whole of europe with launch demand.

Edited by roo

A quick search of the carbrokers sites that are showing the Karoq give cash discounts of £1,000 to £1,400.

If you are a cash buyer,  taking out the PCP with the £1,500 deposit contribution then paying off the amount owed asap [a month?] would give you the best deal, along with 2 x services thrown in as part of the PCP contract.

You would also be able to choose your own dealer and might get an odd extra sweetener.

Colin

Edited by eribaMotters
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, roo said:

I think you'd be lucky to get much better than the deal on offer from skoda at the moment.

Yes the £1500 contribution is a bit low compared to others and the apr is slightly high, but this is a brand new model that is not even in uk showrooms yet so they could just as easily offered nothing. Also supply is going to be short for a while as the factory builds up to full production so it can supply the whole of europe with launch demand.

Appreciate that but its really manufacture's headache how they fulfill customer orders (i don't mind waiting, 6 months is a lot but 4 is ok) - i just want to haggle and like @eribaMotters maybe get something else extra in.

I notice no one is telling me that my assumptions about Skoda are wrong.

Maybe an idea to go to a Skoda Dealership and get a drive of a Kodiak, inspect a few and then think of the Karoq as similar but smaller and maybe having a few similar snagging fault.

That will let you know how Skoda Dealerships near you are to deal with.

Check out a SEAT Ateca and VW Model as well as they give an idea of how the Karoq will drive and what you will get for your money to the different specs.

PS

Hyundai do SUV's that are not French or Japanese, are designed in Germany and that are built in the Czech Republic and come with good build quality & warranties.

Edited by Headinawayoffski

I am still surprised people want to part with their hard earned cash for a car that you can't see or test drive till December according to my dealer. 

32 minutes ago, glenn_btn said:

I am still surprised people want to part with their hard earned cash for a car that you can't see or test drive till December according to my dealer. 

Is that so surprising? Some people will find themselves in a position (eg expiry of an existing PCP deal) where they have a deadline to have a new car delivered, so they need to buy something new within a finite timeframe. And maybe Karoq comes closest - at least on paper - to their ideal. The specs and options are already all available and cars have become so generic that it's difficult to believe that Karoq will drive very differently to an equivalent Ateca or that the finishes and general demeanour of the car will be very different to Kodiaq, both of which vehicles can be sampled today.

Edited by prodata

3 minutes ago, prodata said:

Is that so surprising? Some people will find themselves in a position (eg expiry of an existing PCP deal) where they have a deadline to have a new car delivered, so they need to buy something new within a finite timeframe. And maybe Karoq comes closest - at least on paper - to their ideal. The specs and options are already all available and cars have become so generic that it's difficult to believe that Karoq will drive very differently to an equivalent Ateca or that the finishes and general demeanour of the car will be very different to Kodiaq, both of which vehicles can be sampled today.

thats well said

we are in situation where the Karoq ticks all boxes and priced reasonably, the longer we wait, the later delivery date is, so we could loose month if wait till December just to get into one for 15 minutes and then order it anyway.

I've just taken the plunge and ordered a 4x4 Edition to replace a Fabia. Got a 10% discount for cash (think they were offering  about the same for PCP).

Little bit worried that I haven't even sat in one yet, but having owned or driven (as loan cars etc) a variety of Skodas I hope it will feel familiar!

On 08/11/2017 at 19:53, London_Jock said:

I've just taken the plunge and ordered a 4x4 Edition to replace a Fabia. Got a 10% discount for cash (think they were offering  about the same for PCP).

Little bit worried that I haven't even sat in one yet, but having owned or driven (as loan cars etc) a variety of Skodas I hope it will feel familiar!

Hi, I decided to test the water for swapping out my beloved Yet because I want to get a new car delivered around March/April time.

I went to my local dealer and he offered me (admittedly not for the 4X4) just 300 quid discount. I don't suppose you'd tell me where you got your deal?

I'm now thinking of casting my net further out. The 1.4 Ateca is looking prettier and prettier, and I'm even considering a Prius. The dealers in both those franchises were happy to talk about end of year targets and commensurate discounts - hence their more profound beauty in my beholder's eye.

TIA.

1 hour ago, Meh-Te-Now said:

Hi, I decided to test the water for swapping out my beloved Yet because I want to get a new car delivered around March/April time.

I went to my local dealer and he offered me (admittedly not for the 4X4) just 300 quid discount. I don't suppose you'd tell me where you got your deal?

I'm now thinking of casting my net further out. The 1.4 Ateca is looking prettier and prettier, and I'm even considering a Prius. The dealers in both those franchises were happy to talk about end of year targets and commensurate discounts - hence their more profound beauty in my beholder's eye.

TIA.

carwow had 10% at that time of me posting question and it is now been reduced to 6.6%.

The only thing i found was that Skoda was still better package when comparing Seat top spec VS Skoda top sec and i believe Seat will be configured more firm suspension

Seat Ateca lead times 6 months

Skoda Karoq 3-4 months

I ma deciding whether to bite or wait till Jan 2018

2 hours ago, Meh-Te-Now said:

TIA.

As Vadimo mentioned it was Carwow, although the best offer was from my local(ish) dealer and they said I could probably have got similar through them without carwow (repeat customer etc etc) - but they also said they were pulling back on the discounts as sales had been better than they expected. Some of the dealers were offering nothing, or a token few pounds off.

Still, they probably got their own back with a low trade in value on my Fabia....the dealer always wins.

Thanks Vadimo, Headinawayoffski and London Jock for replying to my enquiry.

Sounds like my timing was a little off - not for the first time. Maybe at 10% they were testing the market to see where they could afford to pitch discounts. That phase could well have already ended.

I agree the dealers always win, but on this occasion one of the guys gave me a trade in price before he told me what he could offer on a cash sale. After that the conversation became energetic but remained good humoured. I kind of like the dealership.

I suspect the Karoq would be a better fit for me, but I think my next step is an Ateca test drive. Maybe I'll have to hold on to the Yeti (not Yet, as in my first post on this thread)* for another year or so.

Best regards to all.

*Is there a way of editing posts? My howlers are always invisible to me until I go back to them later. Then I want to correct them of course. :blush:

On 12/11/2017 at 21:13, Meh-Te-Now said:

*Is there a way of editing posts? My howlers are always invisible to me until I go back to them later. Then I want to correct them of course. :blush:

Become a Freedom member - I need it due to bad typing

Edited by bigjohn

I'm looking to place an order for a Karoq, simple model really,  - 1.0 TSi SE Tech DSG, in Energy Blue, no options, basic spec. Few quotes I've had advised 12 weeks wait but latest quote advised that no lead times for Karoq yet so could be less or more than the 12 weeks. 

I tend to believe that more as he reckons the 12 weeks is a guess to secure a deal.

On 15/11/2017 at 20:49, del-gti said:

I'm looking to place an order for a Karoq, simple model really,  - 1.0 TSi SE Tech DSG, in Energy Blue, no options, basic spec. Few quotes I've had advised 12 weeks wait but latest quote advised that no lead times for Karoq yet so could be less or more than the 12 weeks. 

I tend to believe that more as he reckons the 12 weeks is a guess to secure a deal.

once you purchase car

1. what is the cut off period for cancelling order without penalty charges?

2.  do you get visibility of the car's progress on website?

• 2 weeks later...

To update on my original post:

I ended up ordering Karoq 1.5 TSI DSG Edition in Magnetic Brown and Beige Interior with below options:

-3 spoke multifunction leather heated steering wheel with paddle shift
-Isofix attachment on front seat 
-Steel space saver spare wheel
-Adaptive cruise control
-Heated front and rear seats
-Family pack
-Personalisation of drive mode selection

Lead times 3-4 months with updates comming every Friday

• Like 1

Good.

Hopefully soonest.

Those ordering Diesels are going to have to have them in the UK in time for First Registering before 6th April (edit) or they are going to be costing more on what ever finance agreements made or just in cash money with VED since the Chancellor is going to penalise them up a VED class from 1st April.

Edited by AwaoffSki