Haldex 5 service interval

Thanks for the enlightenment J.R.! You wrote that " The wear on the plates is insignificant, the results of the particles in suspension on the pump system are very significant."

What do you mean? Is that something that affects service intervall ? So I can understand you correctly. 

• 1 year later...

Car had first service yesterday at 18,500 miles (only oil change was due but I did a major service as that was showing as due in another 1,500 miles). Looked at the service manual that I downloaded a while ago and was surprised to see that they recommend the 4x4 oil change at 3 years with no mileage limitation - see below:

image.png.b7250d4fcf36716eb39253092df69e0a.png

I'm thinking to get it done at 30k miles anyway and see what the state of it is at that point. 

On a separate note - would I be wise to get the DSG serviced earlier than the 80k miles recommendation (which seems quite high)? 

I do 20-25k miles per year and probably looking to keep it for quite a while.

Skoda UK years ago eventually followed VW when the Guidelines / Recommendations were reduced from 40,000 / 4 years to 30,000 miles / 3 years.

Skoda just went first with 30,000 miles but not the 3 years, then they caught up.

Still many Dealerships only did have a job and changed just the oil no clean out or Screen clean or replacing. 

3 years / 30,000 miles for the first time has been far too long for some cars.

Be sure the DQ381 is getting the Filter replaced and do not listen to 'We do not change the filter, it is not required'.

922218293_Screenshot2022-09-2115_58_57.jpg.3711dc86397a804fc83f268add4ae736.jpg.ece7ad63bf3be1dd444132de450cade0.jpg.936687ec374d1d3977085ff663c699f3.jpg

396170444_1405220667_Screenshot2020-10-16at17_25_09(1).jpg.329efe0695a8a0f4fa8725c4326b07a0.jpg.261327afafc0a4d91b2a6516585b45f1.jpg.7523967dafc236006f607ede73e30253.jpg

682705526_Screenshot2022-12-2814_19_08.jpg.78ff58aa98148fef13de43ebddc9f954.jpg

Edited by Rooted

Ps.  There has never been anything MAJOR about a variable / flexible service at 2 years old.  Other than it used to be a fixed price the same as  2nd service at 4 years.    It was a con.  The extra was a Pollen filter.   It was at 4 years / 40,000 miles that the price was to include the Fuel filter or spark plugs and Air filter.     All odd as it would be in the UK that Brake and Haldex would be due at 3 years, but might be done at extra cost when you paid for  Fixed / annual service.  In the UK before the Manufacturers warranty expired or the first MOT.      Germany never gave the UK being a different set up from the rest of the EU or Europe any thought.  

Edited by Rooted

2 hours ago, Dieselgate said:

Car had first service yesterday at 18,500 miles (only oil change was due but I did a major service as that was showing as due in another 1,500 miles). Looked at the service manual that I downloaded a while ago and was surprised to see that they recommend the 4x4 oil change at 3 years with no mileage limitation - see below:

image.png.b7250d4fcf36716eb39253092df69e0a.png

I'm thinking to get it done at 30k miles anyway and see what the state of it is at that point. 

On a separate note - would I be wise to get the DSG serviced earlier than the 80k miles recommendation (which seems quite high)? 

I do 20-25k miles per year and probably looking to keep it for quite a while.

My previous Kodiaq had the Haldex oil changed and the pump mesh cleaned at the 3rd service 16k and the mesh filter looked similar to this. Hate to think what it will be like at 30k.

IMG_2700.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

21 minutes ago, Kenny R said:

My previous Kodiaq had the Haldex oil changed and the pump mesh cleaned at the 3rd service 16k and the mesh filter looked similar to this. Hate to think what it will be like at 30k.

IMG_2700.jpeg

I guess a lot of it depends on driving style? Quite a few pictures on this thread show some very dirty filters with little mileage and some that look not nearly so bad with considerably higher mileage...

Probably 90%+ of my driving is on motorways.

@Dieselgate

This may help you to understand this filter story on Haldex pump:

I agree, no mileage is strange Haldex oil replacement. Every 30000 miles seems wise, I do it every 45000 which is similar.

Depending on what kind of roads you drive (e.g.: mountains, twisty and/or slippy roads) you may like to reduce the interval. If you drive most of the time on motorways, I think it's a bit luxuous.

Regarding DSG oil change, if you have a DQ381, the interval is twice the interval for DSG6 DQ250 and most DSG gearbox. It can be wise to replace oil earlier. Replacing filter is also wise. I agree with @Rooted 

2 hours ago, Bap33 said:

@Dieselgate

This may help you to understand this filter story on Haldex pump:

I agree, no mileage is strange Haldex oil replacement. Every 30000 miles seems wise, I do it every 45000 which is similar.

Depending on what kind of roads you drive (e.g.: mountains, twisty and/or slippy roads) you may like to reduce the interval. If you drive most of the time on motorways, I think it's a bit luxuous.

Regarding DSG oil change, if you have a DQ381, the interval is twice the interval for DSG6 DQ250 and most DSG gearbox. It can be wise to replace oil earlier. Replacing filter is also wise. I agree with @Rooted 

Thanks - my intention is to see how blocked up it is at 30k this time and then adjust how often I get it done in future by this. Lengthen it a bit if it's still pretty clean, or shorten it if it's full of gunk.

I'll probably get the gearbox done around the 50-60k mark I guess.

• 5 months later...

Looking to get the Haldex done imminently now the car has just clocked 29k miles. The independent I have always used and trust have quoted £178 including cleaning the filter gauze (or £115 for just the oil change) which seems pretty expensive to me - other independents online are quoting more like the £120-130 mark and the local Skoda dealer is quoting £110 (just oil change).

Does anyone else know of any good indies in Kent area who would do it for less?

When the Haldex pump is removed to clean its strain gauge, the workshop manual recommends to replace both pump seals as well as both retaining screws to fix the pump back in place.

As far as I can remember, the price of this kit (2 seals + 2 screws) is not that cheap and the time required to remove, clean and put the pump back in place is more or less 45mn. Thus the price difference, you're pointing (between simple oil change and complete overhaul with pump cleaning) seems to make sens (at least to me).  

Bap, do you know the part numbers for that kit? Approaching 40k km on an unknown car I will put it in the shortlist.

This is a job I'd rather do myself, I know how to turn a spanner (I guess is no harder than change an auto box ATF and filter ...).

Plus I can count on the marvelous support in here 🥰

Interestingly enough I've just had a price from another garage (slightly less than the last one) who have said that mine is a Gen 6 Haldex which I didn't even know existed!

Does anyone have much idea as to how this differs to the Gen 5?

13 hours ago, Dieselgate said:

Interestingly enough I've just had a price from another garage (slightly less than the last one) who have said that mine is a Gen 6 Haldex which I didn't even know existed!

Does anyone have much idea as to how this differs to the Gen 5?

I would be very surprised that Skoda upgrade the 4x4 with a new generation Haldex on a model which is close to its end of life. I would better understand if Gen 6 were implemented on Superb Mk4...

But who knows... 🫤

@leolito Here are the OEM references:

Both Haldex pump seals kit: 0CQ598305 (approx €27 in february 2023). 

But my memory fooled me. Both screws to mount the Haldex pump back in place are not part of the kit mentionned above. They're sold separately. Ref N10554005.

It seems they don't have to be replaced upon pump removal, since they don't figure on the invoice I've got.

Nevertheless the draining plug and the filling plug DO have to be changed for new ones upon Haldex oil replacement.

Draining plug: N91082701 (approx. €4.20)

Filling plug N90281802 (approx €4.80)

Oil : G0600175A2 (approx. €49)

Note: Haldex oil can only contains 850ml, while the quantity to fill in the Haldex is approximately 650 to 750 ml. Thus better check twice that the can is correctly filled when you buy it. Use the level indicator on the side of the can for that. It happened to me last time. Though bought by my local dealer, there were roughly 100ml missing in the brand new oil can. Also better avoid any spillage when operating. ;) 

Edited by Bap33
  • Love it! 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Bap33 said:

I would be very surprised that Skoda upgrade the 4x4 with a new generation Haldex on a model which is close to its end of life. I would better understand if Gen 6 were implemented on Superb Mk4...

But who knows... 🫤

@leolito Here are the OEM references:

Both Haldex pump seals kit: 0CQ598305 (approx €27 in february 2023). 

But my memory fooled me. Both screws to mount the Haldex pump back in place are not part of the kit mentionned above. They're sold separately. Ref N10554005.

It seems they don't have to be replaced upon pump removal, since they don't figure on the invoice I've got.

Nevertheless the draining plug and the filling plug DO have to be changed for new ones upon Haldex oil replacement.

Draining plug: N91082701 (approx. €4.20)

Filling plug N90281802 (approx €4.80)

Oil : G0600175A2 (approx. €49)

Note: Haldex oil can only contains 850ml, while the quantity to fill in the Haldex is approximately 650 to 750 ml. Thus better check twice that the can is correctly filled when you buy it. Use the level indicator on the side of the can for that. It happened to me last time. Though bought by my local dealer, there were roughly 100ml missing in the brand new oil can. Also better avoid any spillage when operating. ;) 

Thanks - the garage has since clarified that 'Gen 6' is not an official designation (just what he calls it) but apparently the unit has been changed quite significantly from the standard Gen 5 - new pump, different seals, different oil, even down to different drain plugs apparently. 

15 hours ago, Dieselgate said:

Thanks - the garage has since clarified that 'Gen 6' is not an official designation (just what he calls it) but apparently the unit has been changed quite significantly from the standard Gen 5 - new pump, different seals, different oil, even down to different drain plugs apparently. 

Interesting... Thanks.

the seal set was quoted at me as being around €100. That was including then the strainer and various other bits... the mechanic was not impressed at the parts prices, that was clear :D

I think I ended up paying around €200 for the complete job. Will need to do it on this car now, too...

I do mine almost at the same frequency (45000km). It has the same amount of dirt on the strainer. Not that bad, but needs to be done, as you say.

I did mine when I got the vehicle, it had 79K miles and being a fleet vehicle I doubt it had ever been done before, it was functioning, filter claggy like most.

Time has flown by and I have done a further 55K miles, its still functioning correctly but overdue for another oil change, this time I wont get the drain plugs mixed up and drive with a dry differential!!!!

I will also change the diff oil again, last time after the abuse I flushed it with oil and paraffin after running it on axle stands, filled with diff oil, drove 50km and drained and filled again, both times black oil, it will be changed again now and hopefully there will not be significant metallic particles and I will have dodged a bullet, for 55k miles I have listened to the noisy diff expecting it to let go but it hasnt.

I got the Haldex fluid quite cheap direct from Mannol around €6 something plus TVA for 850ml plus delivery, I bought 2 and I also bought 4 litres of diff oil and 10l of gearbox/hydraulic fluid for the tractor, the whole lot for under €100 inc delivery which is cheap for France.