Digital cluster display

vadimo

as some of you may of spotted in a lot promos you see nice functional digital cluster but in every review so far it's standard analogue unit and no mentioning of it even on Skoda website or it's brochure.

I enquired about this and was told that this option will be available from May. Long time that is and this is something you would expect to be standard on top trim edition anyway.

My thoughts are, I can't wait that long and need car, was wondering if you can buy it later as unit and get it retrofitted ? I know from bmw forums for my 320d people doing this already and then selling off their analogue cluster to get some cash back.

I would have thought you could as if there's an irreparable fault on the dashboard then they'd have to take it out and exchange it, however the flipside of that is , it would probably be hideously expensive to do and would you be able to sell it on?

I don't know if the dashboard component contains any electronics that "tie" it to the cars VIN or ECU to prevent any sort of tampering or clocking of the mileage by unscrupulous individuals later on. 

8 hours ago, TheWanderer said:

I would have thought you could as if there's an irreparable fault on the dashboard then they'd have to take it out and exchange it, however the flipside of that is , it would probably be hideously expensive to do and would you be able to sell it on?

I don't know if the dashboard component contains any electronics that "tie" it to the cars VIN or ECU to prevent any sort of tampering or clocking of the mileage by unscrupulous individuals later on. 

your assumptions are most likely correct, the cluster will cost probably between £600-1100 then you need someone that can do programming of it. Thas just comming from bmw experience i red.

Maybe Skoda can do all of that

Looking at the digital displays in other VAG vechicles, you might find it's not just replacing the cluster. I think digital clusters have an additional optical (MOST) connection which isn't used for analogue clusters, not sure if the Karoq uses MOST so you'll either need to use a splitter or possible connect directly to the headunit. It's impossible to know exactly what's involved until it's release and the wiring diagrams are available.

Based on the  MK7 Golf, it's not impossible but it both very expensive and will need a dealer or independent who can sort the component protection and fully understands which other modules need recoding or replacing after fitting the cluster.

I also doubt there will be much demand for the original cluster either, it'll only fit a Karoq and it's a new enough vehice any failures should be warranty repairs.

In short, it *should* be possible if you have the right people involved and plenty of money to spend.

• Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...

Looks like Skoda are doing a familiar trick to when the Fabia was released, the first batch were MY16 with no apple car play and the next to useless mirrorlink and dealers were not briefed correctly and sold the world (as they do) and then MY17 models got apple car play at no extra charge with a lot of unhappy MY16 owners (well documented on hear). Looks like the first lot of Karoq's will be MY18 with just the colour maxidot but the MY19 cars will get the digital instrument panel as standard on SEL and above at no extra charge probably. I would be very weary on this one, its a big selling point and I for one would be waiting. Skoda are being very naughty when they release cars just before a MY change and giving first adopters a raw deal! Seams the only lesson Skoda learned was not to make as much as a big deal of it and brochures etc are quite clear its defo not in there!

13 minutes ago, carl0076 said:

Looks like Skoda are doing a familiar trick to when the Fabia was released, the first batch were MY16 with no apple car play and the next to useless mirrorlink and dealers were not briefed correctly and sold the world (as they do) and then MY17 models got apple car play at no extra charge with a lot of unhappy MY16 owners (well documented on hear). Looks like the first lot of Karoq's will be MY18 with just the colour maxidot but the MY19 cars will get the digital instrument panel as standard on SEL and above at no extra charge probably. I would be very weary on this one, its a big selling point and I for one would be waiting. Skoda are being very naughty when they release cars just before a MY change and giving first adopters a raw deal! Seams the only lesson Skoda learned was not to make as much as a big deal of it and brochures etc are quite clear its defo not in there!

had a chat to dealer, this feature is long time away, available from May 18 that may mean I won't get new car till September or longer. They also speculated, it might be standard feature but price will go up on respective trim as no one going to give it to us for same costs of the current trims or it will be an expensive option. 

I wanted the digital cluster and went ahead to order now, the way I see it is I get nice 9 inch large Columbus system right next to the steering wheel so it's not too bad.

I was quoted €650 for the digital display in conjunction with the heated steering wheel.  It would have pushed the build week out by 4-5 weeks (currently bw 1).

In the end we stuck with the standard dash, car will be my wife’s and she wasn’t pushed about it.

1 hour ago, McOctavia said:

Most likely won’t be possible to retrofit the digital dash as it uses a different loom and also needs to have the heated steering wheel option also. 

I am getting heated steering, I am sure loom is same, got to be cheaper for manufacturing just to install single loom for both cluster versions 

Based on other VAG cars, the digital cluster also needs an optical connection (MOST).

People have retrofitted them into Passats so I'd be surprised if it wasn't possible, as for the heated steering wheel, it's more likely to be a 'pack' created by Skoda than needed for the cluster to work.

• Thanks 1

The Active Info Display costs an extra £495 on the UK market VW Golf (where it is not offered as standard equipment).  It will be interesting to see how it is priced by Skoda.

In practice I wouldn't be surpriseed if it is actually cheaper to manufacture a digital screen rather than a dash with four analogue electromechanical instruments plus a number of individual warning lamps, and an integrated multifunction display.  Admittedly there is also the software development cost for the digital dash, but the cost per unit, now it is being used across a number of VW Group vehicles must be small.

It seems like a prime example of exploiting the constomers' demand for a new product, so lets charge for it.  And those of us who really want that screen will be prepared to pay for it.

Interestingly the Golf price brochure says "Please note: When the navigation map is displayed in the Active Info Display in conjunction with the Discover Navigation infotainment system, the navigation map cannot be displayed on the Discover Navigation’s 8.0" touch-screen".  Sometimes it is useful for a passenger to also read the navigation screen as well as the driver, but a passenger is unlikley to be able to see the Active Info Display, so that arrangement seems a negative to me.

1 hour ago, Portman said:

The Active Info Display costs an extra £495 on the UK market VW Golf (where it is not offered as standard equipment).  It will be interesting to see how it is priced by Skoda.

In practice I wouldn't be surpriseed if it is actually cheaper to manufacture a digital screen rather than a dash with four analogue electromechanical instruments plus a number of individual warning lamps, and an integrated multifunction display.  Admittedly there is also the software development cost for the digital dash, but the cost per unit, now it is being used across a number of VW Group vehicles must be small.

It seems like a prime example of exploiting the constomers' demand for a new product, so lets charge for it.  And those of us who really want that screen will be prepared to pay for it.

Interestingly the Golf price brochure says "Please note: When the navigation map is displayed in the Active Info Display in conjunction with the Discover Navigation infotainment system, the navigation map cannot be displayed on the Discover Navigation’s 8.0" touch-screen".  Sometimes it is useful for a passenger to also read the navigation screen as well as the driver, but a passenger is unlikley to be able to see the Active Info Display, so that arrangement seems a negative to me.

you think you will try retrofit? i will certainly explore this option but has to be done via Skoda to maintain my 5 year warranty

bu then i just might forget this later as my wife will be driving it 90% of the time

11 hours ago, Portman said:

Interestingly the Golf price brochure says "Please note: When the navigation map is displayed in the Active Info Display in conjunction with the Discover Navigation infotainment system, the navigation map cannot be displayed on the Discover Navigation’s 8.0" touch-screen".  

Think you'll find that's a temporary glitch that is planned to be addressed in an update before too long. IIRC the same issue is not seen with the equivalent Ateca system, so it's not a fundamental characteristic of the Active Display.

12 hours ago, vadimo said:

you think you will try retrofit? i will certainly explore this option but has to be done via Skoda to maintain my 5 year warranty

bu then i just might forget this later as my wife will be driving it 90% of the time

No, I have no intention of exploring a retrofit.  I need to see if I like the way the car drives first, then I'll contemplate if I wait to see the cost of the digital display.  The idea of it does appeal at the moment - providing they overcome the apparent glitch with the lack of dual display of the navigation map.

3 hours ago, prodata said:

Think you'll find that's a temporary glitch that is planned to be addressed in an update before too long. IIRC the same issue is not seen with the equivalent Ateca system, so it's not a fundamental characteristic of the Active Display.

I didn't think you can get the Active Info Display on the Ateca.  I'll have to check.............

I stand corrected, £400 extra on the FR and Xcellence trim.

I wouldn't be surprised if Skoda don't add it as standard to the top Edition spec and bump up the price by, say, £300 to compensate.  And £400 extra I guess on SEL trim.  We shall see.

Edited by Portman

• 4 weeks later...

I too would be interested in the Digital Instrument panel but like everyone else has seen, its not even mentioned in the UK brochures yet.

Apparently its a 8900 Kc (£310) option on the top range Karoq in its home country of the Czech republic.

But, I've just found online a German Karoq brochure, and it says in very small print on one of the pictures of the Digital Instruments -  Voraussichtlich bestellbar ab Frühjahr 2018.    (Expected to be available from spring 2018).

I guess we'll be offered it some time after them.

Tony

german karoq brochure.pdf

Also found a Dutch brochure which states the Digital Instrument Panel - Leverbaar vanaf juli 2018  (Available from July 2018)

Looks like I'm gonna have to wait a bit longer time before I buy a Karoq ! !

Tony

You can download the Karla user manual.from.the Skoda website and it has both the manual.and digital display detailed in the manual, how to use it, etc.

But the manual will be for all sale territories, such as Czech and UK so it's inclusion in the manual doesn't mean it's coming to the UK yet, alas.

Official info from my dealer is that during initial product training it was stated by Skoda officials: due to massive shortage from the chinese producer, there will be only 1000 units available from June, 700 of them going to czech/slovakia and the rest to germany.

they don’t expect full availability this year for rest of europe

3 hours ago, zice said:

Official info from my dealer is that during initial product training it was stated by Skoda officials: due to massive shortage from the chinese producer, there will be only 1000 units available from June, 700 of them going to czech/slovakia and the rest to germany.

they don’t expect full availability this year for rest of europe

looks like way behind Audi and VW, these two must of reserved stock 

but then this year things can change quickly in favour of the demand 

Edited by vadimo

The website of my local dealer http://www.dmkeith.com/skoda/new-cars/karoq/?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIw7Ch-qvV2AIVghXTCh3Z5A7QEAAYAiAAEgJzWvD_BwE

clearly states "The freely programmable digital instrument panel is offered for the first time in a ŠKODA. In the Karoq, the cockpit displays can be pre-set to the driver’s chosen configuration." Given that this is clearly untrue at the moment I'm wondering how they can make the claim.

17 hours ago, RedSkoda2 said:

The website of my local dealer http://www.dmkeith.com/skoda/new-cars/karoq/?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIw7Ch-qvV2AIVghXTCh3Z5A7QEAAYAiAAEgJzWvD_BwE

clearly states "The freely programmable digital instrument panel is offered for the first time in a ŠKODA. In the Karoq, the cockpit displays can be pre-set to the driver’s chosen configuration." Given that this is clearly untrue at the moment I'm wondering how they can make the claim.

It is offered all right, but not as standard and not at launch and not everywhere :)

The official configurator does not have it as option and that is for a reason.

Nevertheless, it is borderline false advertisement, i'm sure they analysed to the letter the statements from a legal perspective in order not to be liable for anything.

It's just setting wrong expectations towards customers. My dealer(s) told me 9 out of 10 people asking about the Karoq wanted to see the digital cluster and that's the reason this was one of the top3 questions they took with them to the official product training. The answer, well...i stated above.