Fly Tipping.................

Auric Goldfinger

Another irony is that if I drop a piece of litter in the street the council says I can be fined £100,but I can tell what day it is after the recycling truck has been down our road by all the rubbish left in the road and the recycling bin thrown in one direction and the cover in  another.

Rubbish left by BIN Wagon- I simply phone up refuse and report it. We did have a problem with the tin+glass/ paper& card bin insert( ours has an insert ,like a larger version of that found in a toolbox ). We have marked ours, so we know it. One day ,we found we'd had our clean one replaced by a filthy one ,without our markings. Quick e mail to refuse to point this out, and next time, we had ours back.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

F****n barstewards are doing it all over the place, on the craziest of corners and in the most difficult spots to get the crap out of.

On a 30 miles cycle in my local area the places i am seeing they have been dumping is growing daily so they must be out dumping nightly.

4 places used in just a few hundred yards here.

DSCN4201.JPG

DSCN4202.JPG

DSCN4206.JPG

DSCN4208.JPG

Edited by Offski

I've just 'bin' to our tip to get rid of some garden waste and checked their prices. 
Now £10 to get rid of a sheet of plasterboard OR £6/ bag.
B&Q sell a 2.4M X 1.4M sheet of standard Gyproc plasterboard for £6.40

New charges for ‘DIY’ waste at Household Waste Recycling Centres from 1 October Hampshire’s Household Waste Recycling Centres (HWRCs) will be introducing a charge for soil and rubble, plasterboard and asbestos from 1 October 2016. Soil and rubble, which is usually created from construction, alteration or repair of homes and gardens, will be charged at £2.50 per part or whole 30 litre bag, or per item. Hampshire County Council will also be implementing a charge for plasterboard and cement-bonded asbestos. Plasterboard, which is accepted at all sites, will be charged at £10 per sheet, or £6 per 30 litre bag. Cement-bonded asbestos, which will continue to only be accepted at Andover, Basingstoke, Efford, Netley and Portsmouth HWRCs will be charged at £12 per sheet. No other type of asbestos is permitted. Cash and card payment options will be available at each centre.

https://www.veolia.co.uk/hampshire/sites/g/files/dvc486/f/assets/documents/2016/08/DIY_Waste_Charges_Oct_2016.pdf

https://www.diy.com/departments/gyproc-square-edge-plasterboard-l-2400mm-w-1200mm-t-12-5mm/35759_BQ.prd

1 hour ago, Lee01 said:

I've just 'bin' to our tip to get rid of some garden waste and checked their prices. 
Now £10 to get rid of a sheet of plasterboard OR £6/ bag.
B&Q sell a 2.4M X 1.4M sheet of standard Gyproc plasterboard for £6.40

https://www.veolia.co.uk/hampshire/sites/g/files/dvc486/f/assets/documents/2016/08/DIY_Waste_Charges_Oct_2016.pdf

https://www.diy.com/departments/gyproc-square-edge-plasterboard-l-2400mm-w-1200mm-t-12-5mm/35759_BQ.prd

Those prices encourage Fly Tipping.  The cost to tip should be free at an approved tip or lets pay £5K to pick up the fly tip rubbish. 

1 minute ago, Auric Goldfinger said:

Those prices encourage Fly Tipping.  The cost to tip should be free at an approved tip or lets pay £5K to pick up the fly tip rubbish. 

Exactly! But, Hampshire's waste and recycling facilities aren't run by the council......... They're run and operated by Veolia, a private company who have to make a profit for their shareholders. Sod the community as long as shareholders get their dividend.

• Like 1

It's free to drop that sort of thing off at our LA recycling centre. Garden waste is collected fortnightly free of charge, hence running around like an eejit today mowing the lawn and trimming back the hedges, ready for the pick up tomorrow (today!). 

You're entitled to one free bulk uplift a year (it used to be two) thereafter it's £35.

civic amenity/recycling centre is a modern facility on Blantyre Industrial Estate. It is readily accessible from both Hamilton and Blantyre. It is operated by Viridor. It has banks to dispose of car batteries and used engine oil as well as facilities for recycling glass bottles and jars, food and drinks cans, paper, and textiles. Bays are provided to dispose of general waste, construction waste, cardboard, green waste and scrap metal. The site now also accepts waste electrical and electronic equipment (WEEE) including fridges, freezers, fluorescent light bulbs, televisions and monitors for recycling purposes. Assistance is normally available as the site is attended. 

• 2 years later...

I can not post a link just now as sitting charging my car at a charging hub where someone has done some flytipping right next to.   By coincidence a news story popped up on my phone about LitterCam being piloted in parts of England.   Maybe try a Google of LitterCam.

Edited by e-Roottoot

On 05/08/2018 at 15:45, Auric Goldfinger said:

I can't under stand why councils charge so much the tip rubbish, It'll cost 20 times  that amount to clean this mess up

Really gets my goat

Two things really annoy me:

1) our council won't take all recyclable items e.g. a large plastic bottle that has all the right recycle markings - they reject it because "it's too big for their crusher", but the next week send out a flyer encouraging us to recycle more! I would if they would accept everything that IS recyclable :wall:

2) is that some councils charge for rubbish that you generate when doing DIY work, but some councils don't(Southampton and North Devon do but Wiltshire don't)! For environmental reasons "the powers that be" want us to better insulate and draught proof our homes but when you do they charge you for the "pleasure" of visiting the tip to get rid of the generated rubbish.

4 hours ago, PetrolDave said:

Two things really annoy me:

1) our council won't take all recyclable items e.g. a large plastic bottle that has all the right recycle markings - they reject it because "it's too big for their crusher", but the next week send out a flyer encouraging us to recycle more! I would if they would accept everything that IS recyclable :wall:

2) is that some councils charge for rubbish that you generate when doing DIY work, but some councils don't(Southampton and North Devon do but Wiltshire don't)! For environmental reasons "the powers that be" want us to better insulate and draught proof our homes but when you do they charge you for the "pleasure" of visiting the tip to get rid of the generated rubbish.

Things do seem a bit more generous up here.

I've never been stopped for dropping anything at the tip and the recycling bin takes most things.

It's shame though where I used to live (where @e-Roottoot still lives) the guys at the tip used to be very helpful. They'd come over and give you a hand. Now the H&S mob have got to them they aren't allowed. they were forced to get rid of the decorative gnome display as well and the toys that used to be strapped to the front of the wagons. Bloody killjoys.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

• 4 weeks later...

Worcester tip doesn't require booking, but Birmingham and Solihull tips do.

I can't for the life of me understand why anyone should need to book a time to go to the tip on the grounds of COVID.

It would be simple to regulate entry to tips at the entrance to each tip, to ensure social distancing is maintained.

North Devon tips don't need booking (just patience while you wait in the long queue) but charge for anything that they think is DIY...

Trowbridge tip is operating a booking scheme, but don't charge for DIY waste...