Bonnet Release Mechanism / Lever

Hi all,

I seem to have a problem when trying to open the bonnet but not what appears to be the common problem of the release cable snapping.....

When I pull the lever in the car the bonnet pops up fine but then when I put my hand under the front of the bonnet and lift the lever under there it isn't moving the catch enough to clear the bar fixed to the car. I noticed the last few times I lifted the bonnet that it was getting difficult to get it to clear it but today I had to use a long screwdriver to push the catch right the way over and clear enough to then lift the bonnet up. 

I had already sprayed some WD40 silicon spray on the mechanism but it doesn't seem to have worked too well. 

Anyone any advice or is it a case of replacing the mechanism that you use to actually release and then raise the bonnet. 

As I say the bonnet pops up fine so the cable etc.... Is all fine and not what is at fault. 

Cheers. 

Edited by WaveyDavey

Have perhaps a similar issue with my 2011 combi. When you use the lever to try and lift the bonnet it catches and you can't. Takes more than a standard effort to get it to clear the catch. I tried usual WD40. Interested to know what people used/tried too. Not sure if previous grease clogged things up over time. 

Thanks guys. Glad I'm not the only one with the issue. The handle does move the 'hook' but only about 80% of what it should hence me using a long screwdriver to just move the 'hook' it's full travel and open the bonnet. (Basically the lever would still only move it around 80% of its travel allowing me to move it the further 20% myself and that was when I had the bonnet lifted). 

I'll have a look at giving the mechanism a clean up and then drown it in lubricant to try and loosen it up before applying white grease. 

Edited by WaveyDavey

Funnily enough I have the same issue. I don't think it is the cable, as the initial release works OK - it's just freeing the hook. Long handled screwdriver and a torch allowed me to move the hook (it goes to the left) and open the bonnet.

Seems to be that the plastic flap that swings the hook is flexing rather than moving the hook - probably because the pivot points are partly siezed and causing the flap to flex rather than pivot. WD40 has helped, but it's still not great. Am intending to revisit with more WD40 until it works smoothly, then grease properly with something gloopy.

I have tried finding a part number for this item, but no joy - similar parts for different models are available for around £20, so if I could find an original part I would be tempted to replace it with a shiny new one.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, tifertwo said:

Funnily enough I have the same issue. I don't think it is the cable, as the initial release works OK - it's just freeing the hook. Long handled screwdriver and a torch allowed me to move the hook (it goes to the left) and open the bonnet.

Seems to be that the plastic flap that swings the hook is flexing rather than moving the hook - probably because the pivot points are partly siezed and causing the flap to flex rather than pivot. WD40 has helped, but it's still not great. Am intending to revisit with more WD40 until it works smoothly, then grease properly with something gloopy.

I have tried finding a part number for this item, but no joy - similar parts for different models are available for around £20, so if I could find an original part I would be tempted to replace it with a shiny new one.

That's what I'm thinking myself.... It doesn't look to be anything too difficult to replace...... Famous last words. :)

18 minutes ago, WaveyDavey said:

That's what I'm thinking myself.... It doesn't look to be anything too difficult to replace...... Famous last words. :)

I started taking it off then decided I wouldn't for the time being. It's just three torx bolts with blue threadlocker on them. If you have any joy with a part number then let me know - I called the parts dept to see if they are available and am waiting for a call back :/

16 minutes ago, tifertwo said:

...just heard back from the dealer. Part is £35 inc VAT, so for the sake of a few quid I have one on order. Will update when I receive it!

Let us know the part number when you get it..... And let us know how the swap goes. :)

• 2 weeks later...

Had a look today while I was filling the washer bottle and I've given it the lubricating from hell!!!!! :D

Tried again and still the same in that the handle only moves the catch around 80% of its full movement so just not enough to clear the bar it hooks around. 

As tifertwo mentioned above it is indeed only held in place by three torque screws as can be seen in the pic. 

208F7C92-1E2A-44C1-9B93-51307EF204C4.jpeg

Edited by WaveyDavey

Its the actual handle (lever not the hook) that seizes the bit in the picture that is pivoting on the horizontal axis if you know what I mean:wondering:

Edited by DEL80Y

I know.... I've lubricated the handle/lever pivot points as well as the hook pivot points to no avail. with the lever pulled to its maximum it's only moving the hook by around 80% at most which isn't enough for it to clear the loop it catches around.

I took mine of a used a small bit of heat and kept working it back and forward it eventually became free with full movement back to the way it should be then white greased it and never looked back:biggrin:

• Like 1

Well, I have the new part in place. As people have said, it is the lever pivot point that seems to sieze - either that or starts to flex as it ages - or a bit of both. The part number is 3T0-823-480-B, and the part description they  use is just "hook". Part number is in fact marked on the part, but you have to do handstands to read it.

I greased it up with some copper grease before fitting it (on the lever pivot as well as the hook spring) - slightly miffed that I couldn't find my tube of threadlock for the torx bolts, but they seemed to go in nice and tight.

Anyway, job's a good 'un!

skoda-hook.jpg

Edited by tifertwo
spelling and updated info
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Make sure you grease the  mechanism on the receiver by the grill  where that latch fits, that's where the cable is attached and it's exposed to the elements and gets dry , I daubed mine with grease and a bit of oil 

Edited by terrytowelling
  • Like 1

• 4 months later...

Well it finally got to the point where the mechanism was pretty much not moving at all so I ordered a replacement and picked it up today. Got home and fitted it this afternoon and now I've got a lovely easy to open bonnet again. :)

FEFC3BCA-70A7-41A1-9DE2-EB67610F2937.jpeg

• Like 1

Mine is a little difficult to open, it moves ok but has been noted above I think it is the metal itself that has over 6 plus years flexed that is the cause.

• 2 months later...

Got caught by this. Could not fully open nor close so the alarm was going off too!

As ever, the advice on these forums is invaluable. I squirted a load of WD40 and got my biggest persuading screwdriver out and moved the "hook". A 10 min soak and all is well but it really gunky and rusty so a new part may be the order of the day.

I took mine off (it was getting very difficult to open) to clean as obviously access is easier. Cleaned all the parts to fully de-gunge all moving areas. Put it back on (looking like new) and all is well.

28 minutes ago, Danny 57 said:

I took mine off (it was getting very difficult to open) to clean as obviously access is easier. Cleaned all the parts to fully de-gunge all moving areas. Put it back on (looking like new) and all is well.

I can do that - thanks for the obvious tip :thumbup: