Installing rear door warning lights in Sportline

Hi guys,

I've been searching over the Internet a solution how to install the warning lights in the rear door. The problem is that in Sportline only the front doors have this light, while in the back ones there is only a plastic dummy plug.

I do not have a separate driver for rear doors but only a side glass engine which is recognized as an option within the front doors driver. These parts are 5Q0 959 811A and 5Q0 959 812A.

But I thought there would be a 20-pin connector to this engine but there is only a 10-pin one over there.

I removed the side door cover and you can see below how it looks like. There is no way to do the coding of this engine or connect the bulb to it. The only thing I'm thinking of is to "steal" the +12V from this little engine and the steering [on/off] somewhere from the door lock. The onboard computer knows somehow that the door are open so there should be at least one wire which has got different states (either connected to ground or +12V) when the door are closed or open.

473378483b31e6cemed.jpg

335745f1c9b52988med.jpg

88bd685e80a1aab8med.jpg

a2a7ab607f639a67med.jpg

In comparison, this is the L&K door - there is a separate driver which can be programmed.

13528232_988752571240946_482349871863254

Right now I'm looking for some schematics or any documentation which describes this 6-pin cable on the top left of the above picture. It must be connected to the door lock. If I get the state of the door (open/closed) then I can build a small relay circuit that would enable the bulb in the warning light.

Best regards,

P.

Thank you, @MartiniB !!! Gonna grab my multimeter and check out and confirm these pins. Today it's already late enough to make any changes and solderings but within next couple of days I'm gonna finish this little project.

OK, I can't edit my previous post, so I'm going to write few things more about it.

I checked the pins 1,2 and 5 on my left door. Pins 1 and 5 were always connected to ground. Pin 2 was neither connected to ground nor to 12V. But using the multimeter I did not see any difference in state when the door were closed or open. Tomorrow evening few more tests.

Obviously, the pin 2 in the engine can give you the energy but the +12 V is provided even if the other lights are already shut down in the car. So at this moment I'm not sure whether it is a good place or I should look for another power cable.

2 hours ago, MartiniB said:

try state of lock-unlock doors

Well, tonight I'm going to do some more tests. Yesterday I did not have much time and my tests might have been not accurate. But checking whether the door is locked or not is also not the best way - the light would be on until the door are locked. In comparison, the front door bulb is on only when the door is open :)

Nevertheless, tonight few more tests and hopefully tomorrow gonna do the solderings and put the side door cover on :) 

Once again I can't edit my post so I have to write another one below.

I checked the door lock socket and all the pins. Apparently, when the door are open, all pins are connected to the ground. However, if I close the door, all the pins, except pin 2, are connected to the ground. The pin 2 i gives around 200 Ohm resistance from the ground. But when I connected the lamp bulb to engine, positive to pin 2 and the negative to pin 2 in the door lock socket, the bulb was on while the door were open. When I closed the door, the light went down :)

So tomorrow the soldering and the left back should be finished.

Below you can see the door lock socket. The yellow-brown cable is the one which gives the negative connection for the light bulb.

1654d86597479cccmed.jpg

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

On 16/12/2017 at 12:59, przemoka said:

As mentioned above, I connected positive to the engine (the thick white-red cable, pin 2) and the negative to door lock cable (yellow-brown, pin 2).

I finally got round to doing these today. Works perfectly although I might grab a couple of OEM units as the LED ones are possibly too bright and the white bleeds through the edges on the top half (see images below).

These are the ones I used:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2pcs-LED-Side-Door-Light-Courtesy-Lamp-Fit-For-VW-Golf-Jetta-Passat-GTI-MK5-MK6/292274022924

I spliced into the wires at the grommet and it looks OK with some Tesa cloth tape. Anyway, thanks for all the info guys… it would have been a much longer job without it.

I have also attached the relevant trim panel removal info from the workshop manual… thanks again EnigmaOMC :thumbup:

rear door trim panel.pdf

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

Edited by Alan_P
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, Alan_P said:

I might grab a couple of OEM units as the LED ones are possibly too bright and the white bleeds through the edges on the top half (see images below).

maybe model of LED body was wrong, check my pictures with installed 3AD 947 411

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/For-VW-Golf-5-Golf-6-MK5-MK6-Passat-CC-B6-B7-Tiguan-VW-LED-door/32358900702.html

https://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/393511-what-bulbs-are-fitted-to-the-s3-upgraded-bulb-recommendations/?do=findComment&comment=4851340

https://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/393511-what-bulbs-are-fitted-to-the-s3-upgraded-bulb-recommendations/?do=findComment&comment=4994279

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

The new ones are great… a perfect (sprung) fit unlike the first set. They seem to be a straight copy of the OEM units except the lens cap might actually be better. No bleeding and there is far less banding… the light is more diffused in general. I might change the front ones now.

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

• 1 year later...

i tried doing this today, as per the instructions above, but i did not succeed :(

essentially i connected to pin#2 on the motor connector, and pin#2 on the door lock/unlock connector, but the lamp was not on.

any ideas @Alan_P and @przemoka?

the lamp turn on when i connect to pin#6 on the door lock connector. all other pins - nothing happens!

i made sure closed and opened the front door, so the "door warning lights" r on - made no difference.

wat could i b doing wrong?

any feedback, assistance, would be appreciated.

i replaced the front door warning lights with the Superskoda Ghost lights - so i thought i'd fit the replaced lights to the rear door.

below is the pics from my car....

Power Source - Pin #2

2070297887_PowerSource.jpg.7f5d4352e2472e6769c971df6698e046.jpg

Ground Source - Pin#2 

(NOTE: with Pin #6, the light turns on)

1075806498_GroundSource.jpg.864e5ec0ab260b357e6cab4af28f5a26.jpg

896617392_DoorCardOff.thumb.jpg.efbe17a585e05fbf7fc7561d356199c2.jpg

hmm.....i'll give that one a go again, but i'm pretty sure i got no light from that.

i wonder if its because i had that rear door open for a long long time, that it went to "sleep", and hence no light?

or because i had the connector unplugged from the door lock?

also, that is Pin #5, according to the connector.  u can see the numbers inscribed on the connector itself, if u look closely in the image.

I would definitely plug the connector block back in then lock/unlock the car with the door closed. I don’t remember even checking the numbering... just followed the thick white/red and brown/yellow cables back to the entry point and spliced/soldered them there.

• Thanks 1

Genuinely interested to know what has motivated you folks to go through what seems like a large amount of hassle to execute this mod - Do you live in particularly dark busy roads and regularly load up passengers in the back from the door nearest to the road?

3 hours ago, DJ_EFK said:

Genuinely interested to know what has motivated you folks to go through what seems like a large amount of hassle to execute this mod - Do you live in particularly dark busy roads and regularly load up passengers in the back from the door nearest to the road?

Yes

• Like 1
  • Love it! 1

3 hours ago, DJ_EFK said:

yes, everyday - handling kids, who sometimes drop stuff on the way in or out of the car.

and for completeness.  

and i like doing mini-projects like this.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

i didn't like the fact that the rear door lights were halogen, so i replaced them with some LED ones.

much better now and they match the front door and puddle LED lights now :)

149930674_doorlightLED.thumb.jpg.4ac47190b3f6cc40501213f893f6b37d.jpg

718954552_doorlightLED_2.thumb.jpg.709e6e9f755696f83e660d28e1945e63.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 years later...
8 hours ago, Gabrielem said:

I need urgent help! I have everything disassembled, where do I connect in my car?  does not match yours ...

Not sure wat u mean - ur door connector looks the same.

Plus, if u read the posts above - it's clear which wires to tap into on the door connector (brown+yellow) and the motor connector (red+white).

Edited by JR RS