Questions about vRS Estate

Hi, 

Looking at getting the following as a new (used) car - 2014/2015 Octavia vRS Estate, 2.0D, DSG. Here go the questions!

• This would be my first automatic - My background means i've spent a lot of time with Jag 6 & 8 speed ZF boxes with torque converters. They are incredibly reliable boxes, and give a good drive. Any opinions as to how I would find the DSG? I have been advised that having the clutch adaptions on them makes a world of difference. My daily is a 1.6 petrol manual Focus, by the way.
  • Again regarding DSG - how is reliability with the boxes fitted in this model? I'll be doing approx 23K a year, with a 70 mile daily commute of 65% Motorway, 30% single carriageway A-roads. Intention is to run the car for at least 5 years, however mileage may drop drastically in the time as we may make the decision to move closer to my work.
  • What's the 2.0D like in terms of response, esp. mated to DSG? I've driven some low capacity diesels that have a very noticeable lag from stationary/low speed.
  • Engine reliability of the 2.0D that would be fitted to a 2014/2015 Octavia? Assuming servicing is all up to scratch, anything to watch out for?
  • Are there any particular options to be wary of? Likewise, any that you'd thoroughly recommend? Coming from a Ford, heated front screen is something I'd sorely miss!
  • Pano Roofs - any drain/leak issues? There's a particular vRS that's caught my eye with a panoramic roof - dry as a bone or leaks like a sieve?
  • Practicality wise, how do people find them? At present, it'll be used to lug around an 18month old and her associated bits and pieces, but intention is to have a second in a few years. Folded pram fits perfectly horizontal across Focus boot, are Octavia dimensions well thought out? How is it interior wise regarding stowage, and USB/Aux ports?
  • How well have you guys found both cloth and leather seats to wear? Specifically the drivers seat, and any that may have a car seat fitted, as these will be the two getting the most abuse.

Feel free to mention anything else you think is worth knowing, or if there's a particular aspect of the car you'd like to sing the praises of.

Massive thanks in advance to anyone taking the time to even offer an input on one question - hopefully it'll all be helpful eventually! 

Matt

Man, that's a lot of questions there...

I surely cannot answer most of them, since my VRS estate is manual and Petrol, but it is a mid 2015 model, so about the same age.

In terms of space, this is one of the biggest cars I ever owned - the luggage space is the biggest of the segment and it will more than surely fit your needs.

In case you wonder, the loading area is 100cm wide, so you can measure the pram and see if it fits tucked away.

There is some more extra width that can be used behind the wheel wells, but I never felt it was needed.

Rear sits leg room is really big also and there is loads of headroom - although, with a panoramic roof, there is less headroom, which means that if you are tall, you might be more comfortable without that panoramic roof you mentioned.

Seats are aging fine, but YMMV - there are reports of seats aging prematurely, but mine are OK, although, of course, the "leather" parts on driver's seat show a little bit of wear, but nothing noticeable unless looking for it.

In terms of extras, the VRS has quite a lot of standard kit, but if navigation is important to you, try to get a car with it, since retrofits are near impossible.

All cars have USB input, can play out of a memory card and also have an aux plug.

Also, they can play fine from bluetooth sources.

Cara from the era you mention have the older MIB1 system, which is a bit slower and cannot support smartlink (Android Auto or Apple...)

I have driven a few DSG boxes and they are quite OK - not laggy at all, although I personally feel they tend to hold on to revs a bit more than what I would like, but maybe that's me.

Looking around these forums, there haven't been any reports of major issues with the DSG boxes or the diesel VRS.

Dunno, will let the Diesel owners take over and answer your other questions :)

....one last thing I can say, the Octavia is a great car for the price and miles away from your Focus, specially the interior and build quality.

I had a brand new (2017) Focus as a courtesy car and there was no comparison... The Octavia feels much more premium.

• Like 1

BTW, that heated windscreen thing you talk about, if it is a must - that is part of what is called "winter pack" on the Skoda Octavia world - it also includes heated rear seats and not sure if a factory webasto unit.

Thanks for the replies - appreciate it's a lot of questions (and thanks for going through them!) but obviously want to be able to make the right choice with regards to running another car for 5+ years.
Might have to re-think Pano roof - being 6'5" means I might be getting a bit too up close and personal with it! Wasn't aware Nav was an option, that's something to keep an eye out for, thanks. I think i'll be taking a trip out this week to look at a vRS that's listed locally, even if it's just to start building a picture of what i'd want in it, and maybe to get a drive of it. Wouldn't go so far as to say it's a must, sounds like an expensive option if it includes heated rears, imagine it's also quite a rare option too if so.

Overall opinion of what i've read online so far is, as you've said, that the Octavia is a very well built & spec'd car for the money. Interesting to hear your experience against a 2017 Focus!

• Like 2

In the UK, winter pack comprised of heated front screen, heated front seats and heated washer nozzles. Rear heated seats were a separate option and no option for a webasto heater. It's a fantastic pack to have though for cold mornings!

The DSG box is pretty reliable as long as it's serviced every 40k - costs about £175 for this, so something to bear in mind and check on its history if you're looking at a 40k+ example. The box itself is decent, but I'd say not as smooth as a torque converter like the ZF 8 speed. As Jaco2k says it sometimes holds on to gears too long, so I end up using it in manual mode with paddles most of the time. That said, when you're "on it" it hammers the gears home sharply and is enjoyable. My advice would be to try one to see what you think.

It's a very practical car - I have a 2 year old and we have a 2nd on the way and not worried about it having enough space. The boot is massive for the class the Octavia is in and rear legroom is also good.

Other than water pump issues, I haven't seen many common issues with the diesel. Or with the petrol for that matter... I have a petrol and it's been very reliable in the last 20k/14 months of ownership.

Canton sound system is a highly recommended option if you can find one with it. Improves the stock system considerably and it sounds like you'll be spending a fair amount of time in the car with your mileage. Helps to drown out the noticeable road noise in the cabin from A roads/motorway too.

KESSY - keyless entry and start is also nice, and depending on the spec/age of your focus may be something you're used to?

Agree with the comment also regarding the Octavia feeling more premium. My brother had a 2012 Focus Titanium and now has a 2014 Focus ST3. His leather recaros are nicer but the rest of the cabin is better in the Octavia. Materials, infotainment, ergonomics all better than the Focus.

• Like 1

I have a diesel but manual. By the far the best car I've owned in terms of space, practicality and performance.

My daughter is now nearly 4 and it has covered all of the necessities we've had to carry for her. We currently run a dog cage in the boot which takes up half the space, but we can still get two suitcases in their with the cage. Loads of space in the rear seat area too, I'm just on 6ft and like my seat quite low and back, in my old 2011 Ibiza this only allowed for Ronnie Corbett to sit behind me whereas now you don't have to be vertically challenged to get comfy. 

Engine wise its frugal, I always tend to get 40-odd to the gallon and that's with only 1-2 motorway jaunts a week. So I imagine you're going to be much higher with your journeys.

The seats are holding up OK, I do always check them each time

the car is cleaned as I'm a little paranoid but they're doing OK. The drivers seat is creased a fair bit but nothing major - even the area under the offspring's car seat is fine (minus the rice cake stains)

On in a separate note what colour is the one you're looking at? 

• Like 1

I’ve got a DSG petrol VRS estate and love it. 

It’s a very practical car size-wise. For relatively compact exterior dimensions, the space inside is great. I’m 6’6” and have plenty of room though I don’t have the pano roof. There is a USB port under the centre console along with an aux input. Don’t think there are any in the back from memory. The boot on the estate is enormous and quite square. The hatch is big too though not as much vertical space. 

The DSG box is a very good unit. It’s great for a long commute as you can just leave it in D mode and let it change for you. I’ve found it very rarely hunts for gears or chooses the wrong one but it’s easy to override with the paddles when necessary. If you’re fancying a b-road blast, pop it in VRS mode, select manual shifts and have fun! As long as the maintenance has been kept up to date, it should be reliable too. 

I came to the Octavia from a Mondeo with a heated screen and got the winter pack. Glad I did! Seat heaters are very effective as is the heated screen. I also got the Canton upgrade for the audio which was vital. My commute isn’t as long as yours but I value the improved sound quality. The seats seems to be wearing well too. 

I test drove a diesel which I was impressed with performance wise and in terms of refinement. Cannot comment on reliability though as I got a petrol in the end. 

Overall, I think the VRS estate is a great car and highly recommend one. There are plenty about so make sure you get one with the right spec for you. 

• Like 1

Diesel vRS DSG Estate owner here, I’ll try and answer the questions in order.

1) it’s not an automatic and it doesn’t drive like one. It’s very different. In 95% of situations it’s like a CVT in that the shifts are so smooth and imperceptible. My Mercedes with the 722.6 slush box slurs it’s shifts well enough but it’s nothing like the smoothness of the DSG; only by glancing at the MFD do you know what gear it’s even in at times! Occasional it’ll cut the clutch when you’re reversing slowly uphill if you try and avoid using the handbrake like you may in a torque converter auto because it doesn’t ‘creep’ like a proper auto but you get used to it.

2) my car is 3 years and 4 months old with 76k on the clock and I will increase the mileage at the same rate as the previous owner (25kpa) and the warranty work print out from Skoda for my car shows there’s never been a concern about the gearbox. If I remember correctly they should be serviced every 40 or so k (I think), so mine will be done at 80k when the engine oil is next done.

3) depends on your perception. It’s certainly quick enough when it’s on the move but I don’t like the Sport setting in the gearbox; it holds onto the gears far too long. Easy way around this is to set it in Sport and pull the lever back to engage normal mode on the box (MFD will switch from S(gear) to D(gear) to show the difference, or you can switch to manual (which I prefer). It doesn’t have the brawn of a six cylinder diesel but compared to a 184 bhp 320d I would say it’s a better engine all round.

4) pretty good, though if you come across one that hasn’t had the emissions recall done, I would avoid getting it done, it does the car no favours.

5) all vRS cars come with lane assist as standard so you can code in auto high beam assist and traffic sign recognition with VCDS. They also all come with D3S adaptive xenon lights which are very good. Early vRS’ don’t have cruise control as standard so watch for that. The heated screen came with the winter pack along with heated washer jets and heated front seats. My car has this and it was on the must have list for me. If your budget can stretch to a 16MY (May 15 production date onward) car I would find one of them for the MIB2 Infotainment with Mirror Link option for Android Auto and Apple CarPlay.

6) I don’t have a pano roof but given the choice I would like one as the roof lining is black so it can get a little dark inside.

7) I have a 2 year old and looking to go for the second soon, and it’s definitely a big car with a good sized boot and lots of room in the back. ISOFIX points are easy to get at and there are bag hooks and lashing points in the boot. Most vRS’ don’t have the Variable Boot Floor so there is a lip at each end of the boot but I don’t think the VBF in the O3 is particularly well designed, although it’ll give you a thicker floor than the regular boot floor, it won’t take much weight, a good sized buggy and a large Dog won’t do it any favours so it’s swings and roundabouts. Interior storage is very good IMO coming from a Volvo, an Audi and a Mercedes latterly the cabin is well thought out with large door bins and a decent glovebox and centre cubby. My only gripe is the USB/Aux is exposed and really, unless you’re prepared to have your media source on show and risk it moving round the cabin you’ll want to use the SD card slot in the glovebox. My iPhone 7 Plus just about fits in the Phonebox cubby though I can’t charge it as I wouldn’t be able to get a lead in. When it goes back to Apple in a few months and I upgrade, the 8 Plus a X both have wireless charging so I could fit a charge pad in. If you are an Android user and already have wireless charging capabilities it could be something to look into. I would recommend trying to get a car with Canton sound, the standard stereo is a little poor IMO.

8) I refused to consider a car with cloth seats because they look and feel cheap, stain easily, the bolsters sag and many owners report that the stitching comes apart. For those reasons I only considered leather. My seats are as new now; the drivers one had a bit of a dent as the base had gone baggy, but 10 mins with the hairdryer and it’s now as taught as the passenger seat.

That’s about it really, mine doesn’t have sat nav which is annoying, so I’d recommend that and I think all vRS’ should have the black pack and avoid the silver wheels, even though they are a better finish than the diamond cut Gemini wheels. Otherwise, just standard car buying stuff. Here’s mine...

1A8CE1DB-3CA6-4683-9528-2F28D4FE270E.thumb.jpeg.c3ca4cb39b34da707ffa9c96ce209349.jpeg

... and breathe! :D

Edited by SashaGrace
Spelling
  • Like 2

Hi Matt,

I'll pitch in on a couple of the questions.....

I have a Dec 14 VRS estate diesel in Meteor. It's now got 60k on although I've only had it for a year.

I also have a 2 year old and the size is amazing, a second child wouldn't be an issue.

Black pack plus with the 19"s was the only 'must' when I first started looking, feel it really makes it stand out.

I have the winter pack which is a godsend (heated front seats, washer jets and screen in UK)

Also have nav (can't believe they did it without), I know some of the early ones didn't.

Canton is a big improvement on standard (to my ears anyway) but maybe a bit of a rare option. CD player (in glove box) isn't included on very new ones which maybe something to look out for?

DSG service as stated before is a must every 40k. Didn't know what I'd think at first but wouldn't choose one without now.

I've also got very used to the kessy when carrying child etc makes things a lot easier.

Colour maxidot screen was also an option but haven't viewed one without so don't know what benefit it gives?

One of the only things I don't have and really do miss is leather seats with the toddler and dog but not sure what other option I would change for them!? 

Front seat is a little bobbly but not overly (and I'm very fussy). Had the drivers seat belt trim panel replaced at the last service due to wear which is apparently a common issue of 'owners not using the belt correctly'!

Good luck!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, SashaGrace said:

Diesel vRS DSG Estate owner here, I’ll try and answer the questions in order.

1) it’s not an automatic and it doesn’t drive like one. It’s very different. In 95% of situations it’s like a CVT in that the shifts are so smooth and imperceptible. My Mercedes with the 722.6 slush box slurs it’s shifts well enough but it’s nothing like the smoothness of the DSG; only by glancing at the MFD do you know what gear it’s even in at times! Occasional it’ll cut the clutch when you’re reversing slowly uphill if you try and avoid using the handbrake like you may in a torque converter auto because it doesn’t ‘creep’ like a proper auto but you get used to it.

2) my car is 3 years and 4 months old with 76k on the clock and I will increase the mileage at the same rate as the previous owner (25kpa) and the warranty work print out from Skoda for my car shows there’s never been a concern about the gearbox. If I remember correctly they should be serviced every 40 or so k (I think), so mine will be done at 80k when the engine oil is next done.

3) depends on your perception. It’s certainly quick enough when it’s on the move but I don’t like the Sport setting in the gearbox; it holds onto the gears far too long. Easy way around this is to set it in Sport and pull the lever back to engage normal mode on the box (MFD will switch from S(gear) to D(gear) to show the difference, or you can switch to manual (which I prefer). It doesn’t have the brawn of a six cylinder diesel but compared to a 184 bhp 320d I would say it’s a better engine all round.

4) pretty good, though if you come across one that hasn’t had the emissions recall done, I would avoid getting it done, it does the car no favours.

5) all vRS cars come with lane assist as standard so you can code in auto high beam assist and traffic sign recognition with VCDS. They also all come with D3S adaptive xenon lights which are very good. Early vRS’ don’t have cruise control as standard so watch for that. The heated screen came with the winter pack along with heated washer jets and heated front seats. My car has this and it was on the must have list for me. If your budget can stretch to a 16MY (May 15 production date onward) car I would find one of them for the MIB2 Infotainment with Mirror Link option for Android Auto and Apple CarPlay.

6) I don’t have a pano roof but given the choice I would like one as the roof lining is black so it can get a little dark inside.

7) I have a 2 year old and looking to go for the second soon, and it’s definitely a big car with a good sized boot and lots of room in the back. ISOFIX points are easy to get at and there are bag hooks and lashing points in the boot. Most vRS’ don’t have the Variable Boot Floor so there is a lip at each end of the boot but I don’t think the VBF in the O3 is particularly well designed, although it’ll give you a thicker floor than the regular boot floor, it won’t take much weight, a good sized buggy and a large Dog won’t do it any favours so it’s swings and roundabouts. Interior storage is very good IMO coming from a Volvo, an Audi and a Mercedes latterly the cabin is well thought out with large door bins and a decent glovebox and centre cubby. My only gripe is the USB/Aux is exposed and really, unless you’re prepared to have your media source on show and risk it moving round the cabin you’ll want to use the SD card slot in the glovebox. My iPhone 7 Plus just about fits in the Phonebox cubby though I can’t charge it as I wouldn’t be able to get a lead in. When it goes back to Apple in a few months and I upgrade, the 8 Plus a X both have wireless charging so I could fit a charge pad in. If you are an Android user and already have wireless charging capabilities it could be something to look into. I would recommend trying to get a car with Canton sound, the standard stereo is a little poor IMO.

8) I refused to consider a car with cloth seats because they look and feel cheap, stain easily, the bolsters sag and many owners report that the stitching comes apart. For those reasons I only considered leather. My seats are as new now; the drivers one had a bit of a dent as the base had gone baggy, but 10 mins with the hairdryer and it’s now as taught as the passenger seat.

That’s about it really, mine doesn’t have sat nav which is annoying, so I’d recommend that and I think all vRS’ should have the black pack and avoid the silver wheels, even though they are a better finish than the diamond cut Gemini wheels. Otherwise, just standard car buying stuff. Here’s mine...

1A8CE1DB-3CA6-4683-9528-2F28D4FE270E.thumb.jpeg.c3ca4cb39b34da707ffa9c96ce209349.jpeg

... and breathe! :D

+ 1

Boot massive - big enough for 2 big dogs.

i do many many miles mainly motorway and find the cruising ridiculously relaxed over long distances. MPG can nudge 60 just ... but mid to high 50's are common

take mine shooting and mixes it surprisingly well with the 4x4's but have to be sensible!

now at 90k and just over a couple of years old

got a spider box on it too now which transforms the power output delivery

John

just love the car!

• Like 2

On ‎26‎/‎12‎/‎2017 at 23:59, Jaco2k said:

BTW, that heated windscreen thing you talk about, if it is a must - that is part of what is called "winter pack" on the Skoda Octavia world - it also includes heated rear seats and not sure if a factory webasto unit.

I agree heated windscreen is a fabulous option to have although in the UK a winter pack is, heated screen, heated front seats and heated washer jets, heated rear seats are a different option and I don't believe UK spec cars have the option of the webasto unit.

• Like 1

I don’t have the heated screen. I got back to my car at the airport at 0100hrs this morning after 5 days away. 

Snow & ice covered the roof, windscreen & rear window. It was -1. 

Within 6 or 7 minutes the windscreen was clear - full blower, re-circ on. Admittedly the rear demisted in 2 mins, but for the sake of 5 mins four or five times a year at most, the heated screen (and irritating filaments) seems an expensive option to me......

14 minutes ago, dunc69 said:

I don’t have the heated screen. I got back to my car at the airport at 0100hrs this morning after 5 days away. 

Within 6 or 7 minutes the windscreen was clear - full blower, re-circ on. Admittedly the rear demisted in 2 mins, but for the sake of 5 mins four or five times a year at most, the heated screen (and irritating filaments) seems an expensive option to me......

Is that a petrol or diesel....a petrol warms up way way faster!

37 minutes ago, dunc69 said:

I don"t think it's an expensive option in the scheme of things. I think mine cost £200.  We haven't hit the Jan-Feb cold spells yet and it's been used a lot more more than 5-6 times. Besides ice it's also a good demisting aid. You simply start up, hit the heated mirrors, seats and screens and in a 2-3 minutes rather thsn 6 -7, spent using fuel outside your house, you are safe to go, not peering out of a small gap trying to drive through a housing estate endangering cyclists etc. 

5 hours ago, MeteorOcty said:

Is that a petrol or diesel....a petrol warms up way way faster!

Petrol. 

It clears the screen quickly enough for me. Appreciate it may take longer in a diesel. 

Massive thanks to all that have taken the time to reply :biggrin: Illness means i haven't been able to get out and look at one local this week, but have clocked a couple more online.

From what everyone's said, I think the winter pack/heated front screen is a must, especially with the warm up times of diesels. Leather is looking like the way to go, too. Especially with how the cloth seats in the focus have already ended up!
Whilst the KESSY system isn't something my car benefits from, working on Jags means i'm very familiar with keyless entry & start systems. It's not something i consider essential, but it would be a very nice bonus to have i think.
Colour wise the Candy white, Grey & Black (Unsure of the Skoda naming for the last 2!) are the ones that appeal most, I've been told i'm not allowed the lairy green one!

What do people on here running the 19" wheels find the ride is like? 35 profile tyre suggests it may be a tad on the harsh side.
Do all available audio systems support bluetooth streaming? Whilst mirrorlink sounds like it would be cool to have, it looks like budget wouldn't quite stretch that far.

This one's the main contender at the moment, though i'm not 100% on the colour in combination with the wheels - for whatever reason it just doesn't quite look right in the photos!

Yes, the ride is far harsher than the 16s on my old car but the looks made up for it!

Wow, that's very well spec'd. Not many boxes not ticked. I see it has the front and rear sensors which is good too (most have rear). Maybe self park?

Mine is Meteor which is a solid grey.

IMG_5687.jpg

Edited by MeteorOcty
Spelling
  • Like 2

9 hours ago, MattJames said:

Do all available audio systems support bluetooth streaming? Whilst mirrorlink sounds like it would be cool to have, it looks like budget wouldn't quite stretch that far.

This one's the main contender at the moment, though i'm not 100% on the colour in combination with the wheels - for whatever reason it just doesn't quite look right in the photos!

Yeah they all have Bluetooth hands free and audio streaming right from the earliest versions with Bolero (no Nav).

That example you posted looks good from a spec point of view. Has plenty of extras; KESSY, front sensors, leather, DSG, canton sound, winter pack (assumed based on front heated seats + heated front screen), colour Maxidot, Amundsen, Sunset Glass, 19" Xtreme alloys. Best colour too (not biased!) :tongueout:

The colour combination looks much better in person. That's the factory anthracite finish on the wheels and they look great. Really tempted to swap my 18" Geminis for a set of 19" Xtremes.

@MeteorOcty doesn't look like it has park assist. It's missing the sensors on the sides. Not that it's an issue, I've only ever used it once on mine.

Edited by ahenners
  • Like 1

@ahenners I assume Sunset glass is different to Privacy/tinted glass? Probably answering my own question, but is its primary function to reduce sun glare? Park assist isn't something i'm fussed about. In my experience of it, it's much more of a gimmick rather than a genuinely time saving bit of tech - although it's a cool party trick, and surprised me once with the size of space a LWB Jag XJ managed to  parallel park itself into!  

@MeteorOcty I'll be coming from 18" 40 profile tyres on the focus, so hopefully it won't be too much of an issue compared to coming from 16". I do love that Meteor colour! Appears very hard to come by on the age cars I've been looking at.

@MattJames It's just Skoda's term for privacy glass/tinted windows. I don't have them but they don't look as dark as I've  seen on some Fords. Agreed, the park assist is a gimmick, unless you really can't park. I tried it once and was like "cool" but never felt the need to use it again.

Edited by ahenners

Damn! If I could have just stretched that extra £3k I could have had that one! The wheels and colour combo will look great in reality. I really wanted the green too but I couldn’t find one with the spec within budget. The ride on the 18 inch wheels is better than I expected so I can’t imagine you’ll be disappointed on 19’s. One of the benefits of the vRS over the regular Octy’s is the independent rear suspension instead of the torsion bar set up on lower powered cars, so the ride is decent IMO, though from my standpoint as a former Audi, R-Design Volvo and current AMG Mercedes owner that’s probably why I find my vRS quite comfy.

The BT Audio is quite good, it’s a decent sound and the connection is quick enough and you’ve always got the SD slot on hand if you don’t use BT.

@SashaGrace it's easily the highest spec I've seen yet for the money without looking at nearly new or over15/16K. Would prefer lower mileage on it, but need to tell myself that i'm not going to find one that's got every option and 10 miles on the clock within budget :crying:

I remember reading somewhere about the rear suspension, one of the big reasons i wouldn't consider any other spec.

I always use Spotify in the car, so SD card isn't really much benefit unfortunately. 

Edited by MattJames
  • Like 1

I use Amazon Unlimited a lot so I also don’t use the SD all that often. It does look a high spec, but just for reference mine has mostly the same spec but no KESSY, no 19’s, no canton and no nav, which I admit are all nice to have, but otherwise the same (winter pack, black pack, full leather, colour maxi dot, diesel DSG and it’s an Estate) and had 75k on the clock and I paid £10,995 for it 3 weeks ago. 

I wouldn't worry about the mileage, I was quite impressed by the miles on mine for the money when I found it. It’s nothing for them really, they’ll take a lot of miles these days :)

Edited by SashaGrace