Coil springs length

Today one of the rear coil springs broke on my Skoda Superb Mk II hatchback from 2010. Looking for new ones and what I can understand the OEM part number is: 3C0511115AF VW (?)

But the length of this new coil spring is appr. 365 mm and when I measure the one that's broken the length is appr. 300 mm. Do I have the wrong OEM part no. or is this usual that the coil spring shrinks 65 mm?

The car's mileage is: 260000 kilometers (equal to 161556 miles).

Edited by wertok

Has it not lost 65mm due to being broken?

Are you finding the colours of the spring to check what is fitted?

and I think at that mileage you would defo get some sagging but I don't think they will be original as I am on my third pair of rears at 100,000:crying:

I take it you are replacing the pair of them to balance car up..:blink:

Renault.jpg

Edited by DEL80Y

Yes I am changing both of them. The color marking is:

brown orange orange orange white

What does the colors tell me?

I believe that there is no piece missing so the length now on the old one is 300 mm. And I think the car has been sagging for a while so it might be correct that it should up 60 mm. 

The colour marking is to help identify the spring as the similar vehicles will come with different versions depending on engine and equipment fitted.

The 3C0511115AF part you've mentioned should have 1 white, 1 lilac and 1 orange colour marks.

Assuming the 1 brown, 3 orange and 1 white colour marks are on your existing spring, I believe you need 1K0511115DE.

• Like 1

Yeah, sorry, those codes on the sticker are only a subset of the full data, I was hoping the 0Y one would be there.

If you're reasonably sure that the springs you are replacing were the originals then the colour splash markings should suffice to identify as per langers's post.

• Like 1

Technically there are five PR codes associated with the suspension specification, 3 front and 2 rear. For each axle there's a separate PR code for spring and shock absorber plus an additional code for the front anti-roll bar.

The PR code for your front suspension shock absorber is G07 and the spring is L03, indicating that it is the basic chassis as per the tables I posted earlier in this thread. So your rear ride height should be 394 mm from the wheel centre to the lip of the wheelarch, with +/- 10 mm allowed on that. Going on the build list for my car which is G07/L03 front, 1JA/0YE is the matching rear setup and 0AE is the anti-roll bar.

In any case, go by the colour code of the existing springs and replace like for like which is the 1K0511115DE part number langers2k mentioned (this corresponds to 0YE).

Edited by chimaera
More info.
  • Like 1

• 2 years later...

Trying to wake this interesting thread, with this question:

My Superb combi awd 170 tdi, is VERY prone to understeer. I have driven seiersløpet VW Passats, and they act similar.

Is there any thoughts on how to better front end grip?

Have anyone tried the original sport-springs/dampers (-15mm), but only in the front? 

Regards

olit - Norway

I will measure ride-height, but it is not sagging. I had a 4-wheel-adjustment by the dealership, and it was said to be fine. Dont have the report thou.

Is there any thoughts on how to better front end grip? Lowering comes to mind. But I dont want to do anything before getting advice from you guyes!

Have anyone tried the original sport-springs/dampers (-15mm), but only in the front? 

Regards

olit - Norway

Going outside the manufacturer's spec is not trivial.

Lowering one end of the vehicle and keeping the other at the standard setting will change the kingpin inclination. This will change castor behaviour, and camber change during steering, both of which will affect grip levels. It will also mess a bit with static camber at both ends which could lead to odd/premature tyre wear because the angle of the wheel's movement plane will change relative to the road. I don't know enough about the car's suspension geometry to be able to offer an opinion on what lowering the front might do, and given that other people's safety and money are on the line, I'm not going to speculate further on it.

I don't know of anyone who has done it, but that's not to say someone hasn't tried it. If you have the cash to spare you could try doing it yourself and see whether you like it. You could also contact aftermarket suspension tuning companies and see if they have developed a solution.

I do not disagree! Suspension geometry is serious matters!  And I only ask this, as to get advice to make my car handle better. I ask for experience - "Best practice".

And the "common" advice is sport suspension-kits, even coilovers. Generally 30-50 mm lowering.

But that is not my cup of tea.

I really like my original basic setup, except the understeer. And I don't think a original sport setup with -15mm front and rear will change anything in that regard.

I wonder how the "police-car-setup" handles?

Regards Olit :-)