2nd Hand Superb 2012 multiple ESP Faults

Hi Everyone... I am new to BRISKODA as we recentley bought our first Skoda Superb II last week so please go gentle with me.
Our reasons for buying the car was our old car was scrapped after being involved in an accident because of the recent black ice and snow. I have been reviewing lots of cars for a couple of months prior to the accident because we needed a bigger car anyway so a blessing came from a tragedy. Looked at all sorts and all good reviews kept pointing back to the Superb elegance estate. We bought the 1.6tdsi Greenlne estate after a dealer friend found one in Scotland with full spec and reasonable mileage so he bought it for us as sold as seen. (So no Warranty)
The car was delivered to us last week and we have only done about 120 miles in it but we now seem to have a problem with the car.... as from yesterday morning it keeps putting up loads of error messages on the dot matrix display and warning symbols on the console display.
We haven't done many miles in it and have only been driving it from last Friday really. 

"Start / Stop error"
" ESC Stabilisation control"
"ABS Error"
"TMS error"

I  will post some pics of the errors. The errors keep coming on and then clearing on some occasions or some errors will stay on the console display for the entire drive.
Also another thing we noted after driving it for awhile is the power steering seems to very noisy when we turn to either left or right. 
I have been trawling through these forums and noticed that there is a lot of good advice, hints tips and tricks but I was kinda hoping that someone had the exact same errors so I can narrow it down somewhat as I understand there are multiple sensors everywhere which could be at fault.
After reading the forums...I am going to multimeter the battery first. Check the fluid to the power steering. Our dealer friend is going to take it to his garage on Saturday morning to see if any Faults are on the EMS. Sorry don't know what this tech facilty is called.

But if anyone can offer up any advice???... it would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you in Advance.
PS: Love the car but just not as much at the moment. Sigh.

20180110_082553.jpg

20180110_082942.jpg

20180110_082931.jpg

Welcome :)

You haven't mentioned what age the car is or milage, failing batteries can cause plenty of strange faults on these cars so getting that checked is definitely worthwhile.

There is no power steering fluid as it's an electromechanical system ;)

You should get it scanned using VCDS or similar, that'll give you a much better idea why these faults are popping up.

Edited by langers2k
typo
  • Like 1

Thank you for the reply Langers2k.

Sorry it's a 12 plate with 77500 on the clock.

:blush: I think you just saved me half an hour of embarrassment hunting for the fluid resevoir.

One other thing I meant to post but forgot.... I keep reading about the emissions fix. How would I know if mine has been done? And could this be a cause of my problems and  why the previous owner sold it??? Damn them if so. :crying:

The software version on the ECU will confirm if it's had the fix, anything above about 9970 has been 'fixed'. There might also be a sticker around the spare wheel well with 23r6 on it.

It's unlikely to be related to the issues you've reported, that'll be DPF/glow plug lights and frequent regens :)

• Like 1

As said above find someone who has VCDS in your area from the VCDS map. A scan is all important as to why those lights are competing with Christmas just gone. All most people ask to help out is usually a cup of tea,

• Like 1

Once you get the fault codes reference them here...

http://wiki.ross-tech.com/wiki/index.php/Category:Fault_Codes

Another vote for the VCDS software and cable, it will provide you the most detail on any stored fault codes.

You can check if your car has had the emission fix here...

http://www.skoda.co.uk/owners/dieselinfo/check-your-vehicle

If it hasn't then I'm sure you don't need to be told, don't do it!

A failing battery is a possible cause, as others have mentioned. Assuming the car has been sat 'For Sale' for a few weeks over Christmas in the Scottish cold then this would be the first point to check.

• Like 1

Just checked the emissions check and the car is all clear..... phew. 

Maybe we should get a sweepstakes on for battery or no battery fault. :D

I will put a multimeter on it first thing in the morning as The wife didn't get back till pitch darkness tonight.

Thanks for all the replies.

Fingers are crossed for just a battery fault. The noisey ps still worries me though.

A battery can appear under certain circumstances to have a normal charge voltage BUT will not hold over a short period. This is where the old fashion discharge tester or drop test as it was known would show that there is a problem.

I too would back the poor battery.

• Like 1

Did you get anywhere with you problems?

the ABS, ESC, tyre pressure fault could be an abs sensor, but be careful I found this code in the fault log, so bought a sensor, turned out that the magnet in the wheel bearing assembly had fallen out, so had to replace all that !

1 hour ago, Nedge68 said:

Did you get anywhere with you problems?

the ABS, ESC, tyre pressure fault could be an abs sensor, but be careful I found this code in the fault log, so bought a sensor, turned out that the magnet in the wheel bearing assembly had fallen out, so had to replace all that !

It's the power steering light that potentially gives it away - The electric assistance needs a lot of current

Battery or alternator (if car had been stored for a while before being sold - then it's battery!)

PS if bought from a trader then there is no such thing as sold as seen (rights are stronger within 30 days but also pretty good withing 6 months)  https://theusedcarguy.co.uk/car-scams/sold-as-seen-we-think-not/

Edited by bigjohn

Local garage put the diagnostic on it today and it's showing as the near side front abs sensor faulty. It's going back  in next Tuesday to get a new genuine Skoda part replaced. 

I didn't want to post a reply until we get the car back repaired and no Xmas Tree lights on the console.

I will update next weds.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Greenline101 said:

Local garage put the diagnostic on it today and it's showing as the near side front abs sensor faulty. It's going back  in next Tuesday to get a new genuine Skoda part replaced. 

I didn't want to post a reply until we get the car back repaired and no Xmas Tree lights on the console.

I will update next weds.

But why the power steering light?

• Like 1

7 hours ago, snowathlete said:

Presumably the power steering is speed sensitive so it uses the same ABS speed sensor. 

Let's hope so Snowathlete. The garage said they were going to do a full diagnostic to include power steering etc...

• Like 1

I cant remember if the steering warning light came on as well,

remember the magnet or ring on the wheel bearing, the ABS sensor wont work without it.

I would imagine the start stop system gives the battery a hard time, cold weather will affect

the battery,  Other Greenline owners should be able to give you a better idea of expected

battery life.

Got the car back today minus the Christmas tree dashboard at last.

Initially the diagnostic said the front abs sensor which they replaced but didn't resolve the issue. Then they did some wiring checks and found they didn't have continuity. Fault found on the wiring loom. Wiring repaired and all put back together. 336.30 worse off but car fixed...I hope.

• Like 1