Sound Deadening - anyone added some?

1 hour ago, maul said:

Then again if we load our cars up with bagfulls of soundproofing and  insulation and pretty bits we are going to lose the briskness we all love?

Ask yourself is every extra ounce of weight worth it?

All the race boys are busy spending  cash to make everything lighter.

I'm split between luxury and performance myself. Do I need it i ask when looking at all the add ons.

Morning maul, 

good point. And to be fair. Considering i don’t have a sporty version. I’ve got the 1.6 Diesel se business and I find it quick and nippy and handling is great.  But I do find the Octavia to be on the poor side, when it comes to refinement. 

My last car was a alfa mito 1.2 Diesel ( which isn’t renowned for refinement) and that seemed a lot more comfortable and quieter at motorway speeds. Which I think is my disappointment. Because of growing family, alfa had to go and I thought I’d go sensible. But some types of motorway (and not just the concrete pot hole city roads) can cause a very loud tyre roar in the car. I hope, fitting silent coat will reduce this to a more except able level. At the minute, this is my first skoda but sorry to say might be my last. So fingers crossed 

• Like 1

How much sound proofing are you people thinking of adding to make the car feel sluggish - wouldn't it have to be more than the mass of 4 people plus luggage and a full tank of fuel to make a difference (650kg?).

Edited by KevC_Derby

I read somewhere that Rolls Royce employ just under 300kg worth of sound deadening :o for the latest Phantom. They also use a new method of sound deadening, apparently putting 2kg worth of foam inside each tyres reduce the road noises so much they thought there was a malfunction on their recording equipment.

I've heard about the foam inside the tyres recently from a tyre manufacturer, wasn't expecting to be commercialized that quick.

Found the tyre manufacturer https://www.continental-tyres.co.uk/car/technology/contisilent

Edited by 99Reza
add link

5 hours ago, 99Reza said:

I read somewhere that Rolls Royce employ just under 300kg worth of sound deadening :o for the latest Phantom. They also use a new method of sound deadening, apparently putting 2kg worth of foam inside each tyres reduce the road noises so much they thought there was a malfunction on their recording equipment.

I've heard about the foam inside the tyres recently from a tyre manufacturer, wasn't expecting to be commercialized that quick.

Found the tyre manufacturer https://www.continental-tyres.co.uk/car/technology/contisilent

Just another 8kg of unsprung load then, not that it'll affect the rolls but, a 230bhp vRS hmmmm maybe

Don't misunderstand  me you can bolt on whatever goodies you like to your car.

I'm personally with Colin Chapman of lotus fame. Who always asked his designers, does it weigh less than nothing?  Do we need it? Can you make it lighter?

Likewise Mazda when redesigning the mx5 they went through every nut and bolt looking for any item they could make smaller or  lighter and lost 100kg off the car.

Performance is always about power to weight so if you can't make it more powerful then making it lighter will produce a similar result and make the cornering and stopping easier as well.

Well that's my excuse for not buying all the bolt on prettyness from superskoda ect.

Maybe a tiny bit of soundproofing will slip into the build at some stage though. What's the lightest one? Lol.

2 hours ago, maul said:

Don't misunderstand  me you can bolt on whatever goodies you like to your car.

I'm personally with Colin Chapman of lotus fame. Who always asked his designers, does it weigh less than nothing?  Do we need it? Can you make it lighter?

Likewise Mazda when redesigning the mx5 they went through every nut and bolt looking for any item they could make smaller or  lighter and lost 100kg off the car.

Performance is always about power to weight so if you can't make it more powerful then making it lighter will produce a similar result and make the cornering and stopping easier as well.

Well that's my excuse for not buying all the bolt on prettyness from superskoda ect.

Maybe a tiny bit of soundproofing will slip into the build at some stage though. What's the lightest one? Lol.

Hi maul 

i think it’s just my age. Time for the quiet life. However I do understand. I keep thinking about building me a kit car for Sunday morning blasts on country roads. I’m sure that will have some wind and road noise. Especially if I’ve built it lol. 

On the sound proof for weight ratio. Guess ear plugs win hands down lol

• Haha 1

18 hours ago, 99Reza said:

I looked into this, it turns out continental make these for the R8 and the big Q7, the fast one. Thay dont sell any tyres for normal cars with foam that is quite disappointing.

• 10 months later...

So to resurrect an old topic, I finally got round to buying some sound deadening and actually applying it yesterday.

I bought some 1.8mm Dodo Dead Mat from the Sound Deadening Shop on eBay with a discount code a few weeks ago. Paid about £32 for 30 sheets which covers about 2.8 sq metres. I had planned to get 2mm Silent Coat as this is the stuff everybody says to buy and is well reviewed, but this was cheaper and I can't see 0.2mm making a huge difference.

Took about 2 hours to carefully (read: OCD) apply to the boot area and spare wheel well. Note full coverage is not required, however I bought plenty and I'm planning to add some 6mm closed cell foam over the top which does need full coverage so I just went and did the lot. Used about 14 sheets to cover this area.

dzkeqY.jpg

Too early to say how much of a difference this has made, however on some local roads up to 50mph today the back end seemed a bit quieter for tyre/road noise. Aware there could be a placebo affect however.

The Subwoofer of the Canton sound system definitely sounds noticeably better. Far less of a hollow boomy sound and more punchy now is the only way I can describe it. Very impressed with the difference made for very little outlay and effort.

Next plan is to strip the carpet and sub from the boot sides and deaden the side panels + wheel arches from the inside with the Butyl sheets + foam. Then, going to do underneath the rear seat bench as that is also bare metal. When the weather gets a bit warmer, will probably do the doors too.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, ahenners said:

So far around 4kg at the most - fairly insignificant. It's 2.5kg per 10 square feet.

That's hardly noticeable in the grand scheme of things. Some of the dampening I've looked at weighs a ton. Where did you source yours from?

I understand what you say about you possibly being a placebo effect initially, but I'm sure it is making a difference. 

1 hour ago, tunedude said:

That's hardly noticeable in the grand scheme of things. Some of the dampening I've looked at weighs a ton. Where did you source yours from?

I understand what you say about you possibly being a placebo effect initially, but I'm sure it is making a difference. 

Basically this stuff https://www.dodomat.com/products/dodo-dead-mat-hex-30-sheets from an eBay shop called The Sound Deadening Shop with a discount code on eBay which made it very favourably priced.

In absence of any healthy discounts, I'd probably just go for this stuff which is what I originally planned to buy - it's a bit thicker and slightly heavier per sq m. Same company as the eBay shop above but their direct website. They do varying pack sizes, the £80 bulk pack is probably the one to get I'd you plan on doing most of the car. Otherwise a 20pack should be enough for the boot: https://www.deadening.co.uk/products/silent-coat-2mm-mat-volume-pack

• Like 1

The deadening you've used in the boot, was it malleable enough to get around the shape of the spare wheel bay?

The stuff I used in the past was a deadening tile type affair. It was meant to be pliable from cold, but a heat gun was needed to get it to be bendy enough to shape.

A lot of people reckon things like missing sound deadening is where Skoda save money and is why they're cheaper, but my mate's 12 plate Golf isn't by any means quieter than my Octavia.

10 minutes ago, tunedude said:

The deadening you've used in the boot, was it malleable enough to get around the shape of the spare wheel bay?

The stuff I used in the past was a deadening tile type affair. It was meant to be pliable from cold, but a heat gun was needed to get it to be bendy enough to shape.

A lot of people reckon things like missing sound deadening is where Skoda save money and is why they're cheaper, but my mate's 12 plate Golf isn't by any means quieter than my Octavia.

Yep I did it on a mild (10c) day with nothing but some scissors and my hands. No heat gun required and no issues shaping to the contours.

I agree, there's definitely an issue whether it's less deadening or compromises elsewhere (i.e. thinner glass, thinner steel etc.) that results in slightly worse refinement, but it's not day and night compared to other cars. I had a lift from a colleague with a BMW X1 the other week and that also seemed fairly noisy from the rear, though the engine was well hushed (25d).

• 2 years later...

Nothing like a slow burner... Nearly 3 years later I finally got around to tackling the rear seat bench. Only started at 6pm so was a bit of a rush job before it went dark, but hopefully this should improve things slightly. Had the materials from last time, so this was purely an hour or two of time. What I will say is it's much nicer doing this in summer than when I did the boot in winter last time!

As per previous 1.8mm dodo deadening mats, doubled up in the area that slopes downwards from the centre seat on both sides as this bit sounded especially hollow when tapping it.

Just got the seat bench to put back, need to figure out how to remove the 2 grommets as the front hooks don't stay in them. I have some new replacements, but didn't figure out how to remove the old ones before it went dark. If anyone has any tips here then I'm all ears :)

PXL_20210822_184050815.jpg

• Like 2

Great job finally doing under the seat bench!

I found the same as you regarding the hollow sound from the vertical section and applied sound deadening material to that area too - it made a very worthwhile reduction in road noise, and very easy to do.

Sorry I can't help regarding the hook/grommets, but have you tried really whacking the seat bench back directly over the hooks? You might find it just needs some persuasion, as I can't remember having any problems with the seat bench locking back in to place when I refitted mine.

Cheers,

Nick

• Like 1

On 22/08/2021 at 21:03, ahenners said:

Nothing like a slow burner... Nearly 3 years later I finally got around to tackling the rear seat bench. Only started at 6pm so was a bit of a rush job before it went dark, but hopefully this should improve things slightly. Had the materials from last time, so this was purely an hour or two of time. What I will say is it's much nicer doing this in summer than when I did the boot in winter last time!

As per previous 1.8mm dodo deadening mats, doubled up in the area that slopes downwards from the centre seat on both sides as this bit sounded especially hollow when tapping it.

Just got the seat bench to put back, need to figure out how to remove the 2 grommets as the front hooks don't stay in them. I have some new replacements, but didn't figure out how to remove the old ones before it went dark. If anyone has any tips here then I'm all ears :)

PXL_20210822_184050815.jpg

Hello 👋🏻,

I followed your previous posts with interest as I too have Canton and wanted to improve the sound of the subwoofer as much as possible. 

I found that sound deadening the front doors had an excellent effect to both the rattle from the speakers and the road noise. 

I now have a little leftover sound deadening material and wondered if you could share your thoughts on which area most improved the quality of sound from the Canton subwoofer please?

From reading your posts, I thought this may be the boot area?

Your views would be greatly appreciated, thank you 👍🏻

• Like 1

11 hours ago, srh007 said:

Hello 👋🏻,

I followed your previous posts with interest as I too have Canton and wanted to improve the sound of the subwoofer as much as possible. 

I found that sound deadening the front doors had an excellent effect to both the rattle from the speakers and the road noise. 

I now have a little leftover sound deadening material and wondered if you could share your thoughts on which area most improved the quality of sound from the Canton subwoofer please?

From reading your posts, I thought this may be the boot area?

Your views would be greatly appreciated, thank you 👍🏻

Boot floor definitely made a noticeable effect and I would recommend doing this if you haven't already done it. I've seen some people have deadened the sides of the boot too behind the carpets but this isn't something I've had a go at.

Had a couple of trips out since doing the rear seat bench and it seems to be quieter which is good. I think it now emphasises the noise coming from the front of the car. I may tackle doors at some point as I think that will make a huge difference, just as you have found.

• Thanks 1

On 24/08/2021 at 23:53, Cubbington said:

Great job finally doing under the seat bench!

I found the same as you regarding the hollow sound from the vertical section and applied sound deadening material to that area too - it made a very worthwhile reduction in road noise, and very easy to do.

Sorry I can't help regarding the hook/grommets, but have you tried really whacking the seat bench back directly over the hooks? You might find it just needs some persuasion, as I can't remember having any problems with the seat bench locking back in to place when I refitted mine.

Cheers,

Nick

Thanks for your comments, to be honest I tried it and no luck. I think the seat bench may have been out before prior to my ownership as it was definitely not as tight as it is now it has the new grommets in. Agree on the reduction of noise, makes the front seem noisier now so this may be my next plan of attack!

On the subject of removing the old ones though... Absolute nightmare is how I can best describe it. Tried prizing them out using some old credit cards (couldn't find my trim tools) and no luck. Resorted to breaking them a bit and trying to pull them out, since they were being replaced anyway.

On both sides I managed to drop the grommets into the hole, first one dropped directly below and was easy enough to pull back out with some long thin pliers. Second one fell into a section further across the car, out of reach of pliers and over a slight bump. Had to get creative and get a long screwdriver with some blue tack on the end to get the clip back underneath the hole. 

PXL_20210823_083115807.MP.jpg

• Like 1

Hi @ahenners

Glad you got the grommets sorted.

Totally agree that all that work makes the front sound noisier (even though it isn’t!).

I sound deadened the bonnet, which was very easy to do and also made a big improvement. I did all the flat sections and parts of the box frame that are hidden by the factory-fit sound deadening panel. If you do this, make sure you buy heat resistant deadening - I used Dynamat Extreme.

I never got round to it, but also bought some sheets to do the front wheel arches, as I did the rears when doing the rear of the car. If you’ve not seen it, check out my thread on the stereo upgrade I did last year - it might give you some ideas of other areas you can attack to reduce noise…and it’ll remind you to disconnect the battery when doing any electrical work 😉 🙂

Cheers,

Nick

• Like 1

8 hours ago, ahenners said:

Boot floor definitely made a noticeable effect and I would recommend doing this if you haven't already done it. I've seen some people have deadened the sides of the boot too behind the carpets but this isn't something I've had a go at.

Had a couple of trips out since doing the rear seat bench and it seems to be quieter which is good. I think it now emphasises the noise coming from the front of the car. I may tackle doors at some point as I think that will make a huge difference, just as you have found.

Thank you very much for your helpful reply. 

I really appreciate the advice and will absolutely add this to the list of jobs to do - and hopefully in this warmer weather!

I can highly recommend applying the deadening to the front doors. It really did surprise me when I took the door card off just how little spud deadening had been applied at the factory… I suppose this is definitely one area costs were cut over the more ‘premium’ brands of VAG. It was a shame though as it was causing the Canton speakers to massively underperform. 

I found it really helpful to remove the door cards and then play some tracks on the stereo that feature plenty of low end. This then allowed me to pin point exactly where was vibrating and causing rattles. I found the two removable black plastic inserts (that allow access to the door skin) to be particularly bad for rattling. 

Hope it goes well if you do decide to take this on, and many thanks again for the pointers.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, srh007 said:

Thank you very much for your helpful reply. 

I really appreciate the advice and will absolutely add this to the list of jobs to do - and hopefully in this warmer weather!

I can highly recommend applying the deadening to the front doors. It really did surprise me when I took the door card off just how little spud deadening had been applied at the factory… I suppose this is definitely one area costs were cut over the more ‘premium’ brands of VAG. It was a shame though as it was causing the Canton speakers to massively underperform. 

I found it really helpful to remove the door cards and then play some tracks on the stereo that feature plenty of low end. This then allowed me to pin point exactly where was vibrating and causing rattles. I found the two removable black plastic inserts (that allow access to the door skin) to be particularly bad for rattling. 

Hope it goes well if you do decide to take this on, and many thanks again for the pointers.

Definitely do it in warmer weather if you can. Not only is it more pleasant to be out in for a few hours, I think the deadening material is a bit easier to work with too.

Likewise thanks for your insight on the doors. Did you break any clips in the process or did you order any spares just in case? I've still got quite a few deadening sheets left, so unless I find a suitable Superb in the near future there's a good chance I may tackle the doors.

1 hour ago, Cubbington said:

Hi @ahenners

Glad you got the grommets sorted.

Totally agree that all that work makes the front sound noisier (even though it isn’t!).

I sound deadened the bonnet, which was very easy to do and also made a big improvement. I did all the flat sections and parts of the box frame that are hidden by the factory-fit sound deadening panel. If you do this, make sure you buy heat resistant deadening - I used Dynamat Extreme.

I never got round to it, but also bought some sheets to do the front wheel arches, as I did the rears when doing the rear of the car. If you’ve not seen it, check out my thread on the stereo upgrade I did last year - it might give you some ideas of other areas you can attack to reduce noise…and it’ll remind you to disconnect the battery when doing any electrical work 😉 🙂

Cheers,

Nick

Thanks for that, useful insight and i will definitely take a look at your thread :) Do you have a petrol or diesel? And did you have the factory deadening mat on the underside of the bonnet? I added that a few years ago and that seemed to make a nice difference from the engine area. My guess is that adding deadening sheets as well may not make that much difference, the TSI is fairly quiet anyway, at least when warmed up.