Android Radio

The trim is slightly different in that the gloss section stretches further down. The panel is different as well, instead of setup it says menu and the buttons are glossy black rather than the matt they are on the pre FL. There was one on eBay recently for £35 but it didn't have a screen heat button. I'll be keeping a look out :) 

• 2 months later...

Sorry to jump on this thread but i'm still a bit confused on what I'd need to upgrade what I've got.. 

It's the 2.0 TDI CR Elegance with a AMUNDSEN model. I'd guess the MIB1 as it's a late 2014 and doesn't come with MirrorLink/SmartLink. If I purchased a MIB2 AMUNDSEN unit + the new USB plugs and found a dealer to code it, would that give me Android Auto / smartlink? Would I need to replace the screen unit too?

Edited by Ianbirt

Almost, you would need a MIB2 screen to match the unit and after the Component Protection has been disabled by Skoda, the radio will need coding by a third party to activate the nav, voice controls, SmartLink etc. It’s a worthwhile upgrade, I love mine :)

• Like 1

Great thanks for confirming Sasha. I had a good read through your Octavia vRS thread too - good job!

I called a local breakers today and they seemed to think they'd have an MIB2 model in, i'm waiting back on a price. When I asked about the coding they said it would come with it all done.. but i'm dubious. Perhaps they just mean unlocking? Any third party decoders you'd recommend? 

6 minutes ago, Ian-b said:

I called a local breakers today and they seemed to think they'd have an MIB2 model in, i'm waiting back on a price. When I asked about the coding they said it would come with it all done.. but i'm dubious.

You're right to be dubious. Firstly, they're a breakers so would have little (or no) clue as to what you were asking about. Second, they're selling parts, and as such anything they can say to make you buy is fair game. Ask for it in writing with a money back guarantee, and I bet the answer is quickly revised. :thumbup:

Hmm that's a very good point, thanks. I notice you do Columbus sales and repair, I don't suppose that includes the decoding part too? I'd rather the cash/work go to a forum member if the option is available.

26 minutes ago, Rustynuts said:

You're right to be dubious. Firstly, they're a breakers so would have little (or no) clue as to what you were asking about. Second, they're selling parts, and as such anything they can say to make you buy is fair game. Ask for it in writing with a money back guarantee, and I bet the answer is quickly revised. :thumbup:

I'd second that, breakers wouldn't have a scooby!!!

12 minutes ago, Ian-b said:

Hmm that's a very good point, thanks. I notice you do Columbus sales and repair, I don't suppose that includes the decoding part too? I'd rather the cash/work go to a forum member if the option is available.

Unfortunately, I only work on the previous version of the Columbus. If you have a 2014 car then you'' (as you say) have an MIB unit, so I can't be any physical help I'm afraid.

However, always available for blatantly obvious statements, mildly sarcastic jibes, and irrelevant nonsense as required...

• Haha 1

Have chat with Pab567 on here. He did mine for me and I would recommend him to anyone :) I am very happy with the upgrade, ashamed at Apple’s terrible attitude to the iOS11.3 CarPlay phone issue that they have just denied. I was on the chat with them the other day and they tried to blame everything from the cable to the car. I tried my old iPhone 6 on iOS11.2.6 and it’s perfect. If they don’t fix it on iOS11.4 in June, they will lose me a customer and I will be placing an order for a shiny new Samsung Galaxy S9+.

• Thanks 1

What issue? I have a Android personal phone and a iPhone work phone that I don't much use in the car, but when I tried it seemed to work fine?

22 minutes ago, SashaGrace said:

ashamed at Apple’s terrible attitude to the iOS11.3 CarPlay phone issue that they have just denied.

You could try signing up to the Apple beta program and test iOS11.4 today (it's currently at beta 6) instead of waiting until June?

Edited by SWBoy

36 minutes ago, SashaGrace said:

Have chat with Pab567 on here. He did mine for me and I would recommend him to anyone :) I am very happy with the upgrade, ashamed at Apple’s terrible attitude to the iOS11.3 CarPlay phone issue that they have just denied. I was on the chat with them the other day and they tried to blame everything from the cable to the car. I tried my old iPhone 6 on iOS11.2.6 and it’s perfect. If they don’t fix it on iOS11.4 in June, they will lose me a customer and I will be placing an order for a shiny new Samsung Galaxy S9+.

What issue? 

Have seriously been considering to change to android after the issue with them controlling what maps  can use on CarPlay. 

28 minutes ago, SWBoy said:

You could try signing up to the Apple beta program and test iOS11.4 today (it's currently at beta 6) instead of waiting until June?

I have, I just haven’t downloaded it onto the phone yet. I will do tonight. Part of me doesn’t want to as then I’ll have to put my money where my mouth is and change the phone if it isn’t fixed! 

14 minutes ago, Madmax889 said:

What issue? 

Have seriously been considering to change to android after the issue with them controlling what maps  can use on CarPlay. 

The phone function is useless, I can hear what people on the other end are saying, but they can’t hear me at all. It is an issue that’s gaining traction all over the web, but Apple are doing their usually denial act. It’s a shame, there are 2 iPhones, an iPad and 2 MacBooks in my house so they’ve had plenty of cash from me over the years, but I’m not paying for it anymore. The ecosystem is good, but the price of the phones is getting silly, I hope the new 6.0 inch LCD display iPhone is as cheap as predicted, but it’d be a downgrade from my current iPhone 7 Plus in some ways. The X Plus would be the natural upgrade, but I cannot see that selling under £1100. I planned to keep my 7 Plus another 2 years but I will jump ship if they don’t get their act together!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, SashaGrace said:

What phone issue Sasha? 

i have reception issues, i can hear them clearly but they cant hear me or its very poor

1 hour ago, SashaGrace said:

I have, I just haven’t downloaded it onto the phone yet. I will do tonight. Part of me doesn’t want to as then I’ll have to put my money where my mouth is and change the phone if it isn’t fixed! 

The phone function is useless, I can hear what people on the other end are saying, but they can’t hear me at all. It is an issue that’s gaining traction all over the web, but Apple are doing their usually denial act. It’s a shame, there are 2 iPhones, an iPad and 2 MacBooks in my house so they’ve had plenty of cash from me over the years, but I’m not paying for it anymore. The ecosystem is good, but the price of the phones is getting silly, I hope the new 6.0 inch LCD display iPhone is as cheap as predicted, but it’d be a downgrade from my current iPhone 7 Plus in some ways. The X Plus would be the natural upgrade, but I cannot see that selling under £1100. I planned to keep my 7 Plus another 2 years but I will jump ship if they don’t get their act together!

didn't read the whole thread, i've the same problem

1 hour ago, seanbrady49 said:

What phone issue Sasha? 

i have reception issues, i can hear them clearly but they cant hear me or its very poor

That’s the issue, but I’ve finally gotten around to running iOS11.4 beta 6 on my phone and it has fixed the issue so far. I’ve made calls to various different people and everyone confirms they can hear me clearly now. Let’s hope it stays that way through the release of iOS 11.4 to the general public :)

5 hours ago, Rustynuts said:

Unfortunately, I only work on the previous version of the Columbus. If you have a 2014 car then you'' (as you say) have an MIB unit, so I can't be any physical help I'm afraid.

However, always available for blatantly obvious statements, mildly sarcastic jibes, and irrelevant nonsense as required...

Ah that's a shame, worth a try though ;-)
Always appreciate a bit of mildly sarcastic irrelevant nonsense from time to time...

4 hours ago, SashaGrace said:

Thanks for the tip Sasha, I'll PM him once i've sourced a working unit. Good to hear the upgrade is worth it. I used to be an Apple man way back with the first iPhone, changed over to Android a few years later and to be honest didn't miss a thing. Once you're tied up in the ecosystem it's hard to escape though. Sounds like the latest update has sorted things out for you, fingers crossed!

• Like 1

I have stayed with Apple because the quality of the product is excellent and the OS easy to use and logical, but their arrogance is grating somewhat these days. The Galaxy S9+ is superior to the iPhone X in many ways and the OnePlus and Huawei brands are really challenging the traditional premium brands. I still prefer the Apple OS, but I could learn to get on with Android. I may defect with my next phone down the line when the next Galaxy comes out in 12 months or so, just for a change as I’ve enjoyed 7 years of Apple phones, could do with something different :D

11 hours ago, SashaGrace said:

That’s the issue, but I’ve finally gotten around to running iOS11.4 beta 6 on my phone and it has fixed the issue so far. I’ve made calls to various different people and everyone confirms they can hear me clearly now. Let’s hope it stays that way through the release of iOS 11.4 to the general public :)

Fingers crossed... but it's not unknown for Apple to remove fixes/features between the final beta and the release candidate.

• Like 1