Can you set a Route on your Satnav?

I've posted this elsewhere but got no response. Maybe this section gets looked at more often?

I have a particularly poor sense of direction so I rely a lot on my satnav. To get to a key road in my area I can take a back roads route that avoids the jams. There are a few places where the satnav could take me back to a nearby road that I specifically want to avoid.

I have saved the end destination by using the map function and tapping the exact end point I want. I have done the same half way along the route so that the satnav takes me that way and not the alternative route I am trying to avoid. Can I assemble that journey under one heading so that it will work seamlessly? It will make life easier.

There is a Route section in my system which seems designed for this but I can't work out how do it despite downloading the brochure, surfing online etc.  If you do a route planner online via AA or RAC etc then they call them "via" points. That is what I am trying to do.

Am I deluding myself or is this a real option? If so how can I do it?

I have a 2017 Superb, Amundsen touch screen system.

Edited by LordTyrion

Yes you can...... I believe......?

I have just been out to my car, pressed settings on the navigation screen.

Waypoints, I didn't move but it looks like you can record multiple Waypoints and the replay that route, also it can be reversed.

I recorded 4 points and started it, all the same place, navigation said, reached waypoint 3 times then reached destination. 

Try it and report back.

Just been out, it automatically records the waypoints and creates a route.

I think the you need to start at the first waypoint for it to work or reverse to find your way back.

Just dropped my lad off, recorded the route then saved it. Reversed the route and followed it back.

There are no voice guidance only an arrow pointing to the next waypoint and it displays 'off road.

You can save and name the route.

Also there is an import, this then asks you to select one of the SD cards so I assume you can do a Google map type route?

I will leave it to you to play more.

Edited by vfrvrs

You can record a route? Blimey I'm feeling foolish. Apologies, but hey this is how a forum works, but how do you do that? 

Honestly, I have downloaded and read the manual but I really don't remember seeing that. Maybe i have misunderstood the terminology.

You can record a route? Blimey I'm feeling foolish. Apologies, but hey this is how a forum works, but how do you do that? 

Honestly, I have downloaded and read the manual but I really don't remember seeing that. Maybe i have misunderstood the terminology.

Okay, I've gone back to the manual and whilst it is not intuitive I think there is something there, doh.

I'll get on to this tomorrow. Thanks for the help.

Ah. Possible issue. Do you have the Colombus? I have Amundsen and do not have the Waypoint setting. I have gone navigation, settings but waypoint does not exist. I've pressed every button to see if it is within a file but it is not there.

I'll go back to the manual as there was a complicated but possible way to do it on there.

11 minutes ago, LordTyrion said:

Ah. Possible issue. Do you have the Colombus? I have Amundsen and do not have the Waypoint setting. I have gone navigation, settings but waypoint does not exist. I've pressed every button to see if it is within a file but it is not there.

I'll go back to the manual as there was a complicated but possible way to do it on there.

Yes, Columbus 

Bit of an update. First of all, Waypoints only exist on Columbus, not Amundsen. If only............

I thought I had found a way around this but needed to read the manual closer but I was wrong

The bodge way I have overcome this issue is to use the Route function. I then store points along the route, Waypoints in effect, and give them a simple heading, eg Route to A69 Step 1, Route to A69 Step 2 etc. Instead of it being a seamless method I need to stop navigation when I get close to the end of each step and then start the navigation of the next step. There are three steps for this trip and it is a bit of a faf but it works.  Obviously the Columbus system does this without the operator stopping and starting each individual step. It's the difference between a manual and automatic.

Skoda have updated Amundsen and my version is the older one. The newer one still does not do Waypoints but there are significant improvements regarding POI's that mine is poor on. It is a shame a software upgrade does not do the job. Maybe it does and I need to speak to my dealer as the improvement would be one worth having.

Anyway, thanks for the help on here.

There is waypoints on Amundsen  units.,

I use them, they are called destinations under the "MY Tours" option..

you can use you recent destinations as part of the tour or create new ones as part of favourites..

I use this when travelling to Holland via France and Belgium..

I create a stored route from home, put a waypoint / destination on the A1, (because i dont use M1 for this route) next one at the Le Shuttle entrance, next in France, then Belgium on the autoroute i want to go on and so forth...

Let me know if you want further info.

My Tours? Where is this option?

I think I have found a way to create waypoints, clumsily but it works, but your method sounds better. I can't remember seeing the phrase My Tour before and my wife is out in my car right now. Whereabouts is it? 

Sorry.. I thought I had posted the video last night..

So in short.. The video is a bit clunky as I had not done it for some time.

To start with in the video I create some new destinations for the "tour"

Once I have created the places in conjunction with the ones I have already created in the past I create a tour.. Save the tour and then choose the tour as a route.

The background noise is the crazy hail storm which started as soon as i got in the car.!!

Edited by RickTT
  • Thanks 3

Brilliant video, really clear. Unfortunately my system does not have the My Tour facility, the option along the bottom is not there. It is exactly what I am looking for though.

I will speak to my dealer and ask whether a software upgrade would do the job or whether it is more than that.

Thanks again though. At least I know it is possible, with the correct Amundsen version.

Pictures attached

I have emailed back and forth with my dealer. They passed my on to the "Tech Man" for their site. I forwarded your video so that he understood the issue. He had no idea, I think he just washes the cars after servicing. Even though your version is only 2016 he could not help. He has asked me to come in so he can press parts of the screen and see if he can magically find if Skoda have replaced My Tours with a different system that I have not been able to understand. (you would like to think that as the "Tech Man" he would know this instantly but unfortunately not)

I suspect Skoda either decided to "upgrade" Amundsen and remove this incredibly helpful feature because a muppet is in charge or they want to make a greater difference between Amundsen and Colombus to encourage upgrades / justify the extra cost of Colombus and so removed it for that reason. Either way, if Skoda offer to upgrade your system, turn them down. Your "old" system is better than the new one :sadsmile:

Amundsen 1.jpg

Amundsen 2.jpg

Amundsen 3.jpg

I think you might be right about the Tours feature being deleted in an update; the owner's manual shows a My tours key between My dests and POIs.  I'm wondering if the My tours key doesn't appear until you have a route or tour already stored.  Do you have Tour memory under Nav -> Settings -> Manage memory?