Huge price,but for what?

I have been a skoda man for 14 years now as they are quality cars for use as private hire taxi, at present I have a mk 2 15 plate upgrade 1.6 tdi S model. I am delighted with this car as it offers luxury,cruise control etc. I am thinking of getting a new mk 3 but council regulations restrictions state that I can't get Windows with tints over 25%,so that rules out higher spec models such as se,se L, etc. The base S model is £25k and to get bi xenon lights in skoda car builder configuration £27k and I looked at a colleagues mk 3  "S" mode and was far from impressed,interior lighting is a joke for starters,not even footwell lights and NO cruise control?. Skoda advertise superb as flagship model????, most other manufacturers are now offering bi xenon headlights,cruise control and a host of goodies as standard and nowhere near the price skoda are asking for a base model. Most colleagues who were always skoda superb fanatics have now deserted skoda and went with Kia Optima 3 and they are exactly what skoda's FLAGSHIP superb SHOULD BE. The equipment levels on these optima 's are jaw dropping and MUCH cheaper than even the base S superb, my only drawback with optima is the boot arrangement as shape of car could easily accommodate a hatchback but it's a stupid saloon type which is a pain as I find I never used it with superb twin door. At present I am considering all options, I love my superb for comfort and legroom but I don't intend to break the bank for a supposed FLAGSHIP superb mk 3 that offers basic levels of comfort that ALL CHEAP cars offer.

• Sad 1

I paid £18500 (£19200 with metallic and a couple of extras) for my Superb TSi SE150 PS last March via a broker.  That was an absolute bargain for a car of its size and equipment.

Why not do what some of the local Taxis are doing near us and buy a 4 year old Tesla. Its huge, great kit and probably a time bomb with regards to running costs.

Edited by skidpan

In what way does the base model Mk3 come with less features that the base model Mk2?

HID were not standard on the base model Mk2, neither was cruise control.

I’m with CheshireBumpkin on this one...

Errybee,

where are you running a Private Hire Taxi in Scotland?

Would you not be better going for a Petrol Hybrid rather than a diesel if you are going to be running it for a few years as the Scottish Government is going to be bringing in Low Emission Zones in many areas that will not be only cities?

I paid just under 26k for an ex demo (700 miles on it)  L&K.   Immaculate condition, as new; extras included metallic paint and 19" wheels.

Fantastic value imo but it does have the privacy glass at the rear.

Kriva,sorry I never meant xenons were standard on base mk 2 model,I said if I wanted to add them to new base model,but these are now basic standard fittings on most cars so why do skoda not fit these as standard on all models?, my present mk 2 base model (does'nt have xenons) but all other colleagues with mk 2 base models all had cruise control and mine was bought brand new. In reply to Awaoffski I operate in west Lothian and the regulations are way OTT,I love the superb hence my rant about less for more £. Lanarkshire and most other councils don't have stupid tint rules thus limiting what vehicle spec you can actually buy,Cheshirebumki was spot on with that quote as this tint ruling is frustrating the life out of me, Hybrids are ok but they don't offer the legroom,hatchback boot and comfort a superb does. The superb also falls well within c/o level as its 105,council max is 150 

Edited by Errybee
Add text
  • Thanks 1

Errybee, not sure where you got £25k for a base S model from; no one will be paying that. I’ve ordered an SE 1.4 TSi DSG hatch and the deal on mine (via a routine inquiry to the broker Carwow) came in at just over £19k. The SE doesn’t have £1300 worth of Xenons, and I get your frustration there, but it’s a decent spec - and doesn’t have tinted windows!

Why get upset about the specs that manufacturers decide on, nothing you can do.

We had a Seat Leon before the Superb, we loved it but needed a bigger car, ours was a SE 140 TSi which had sensible wheels, comfort seats and comfort suspension. Logic suggested a Leon Tourer would do the job but to get the 1.4 TSi now (its 150 PS) you have to buy the FR spec which includes lowered sports suspension, 1/2 plastic sports seats and 45 profile tyres which are all items we do not want.

Luckily the Superb SE spec was available with the 150 PS TSi engine and had sensible specs which included none of the item above. It was actually a bit cheaper than the FR Leon as well which was a bonus.

Just look elsewhere if you are unhappy, something will suit your needs.

9 hours ago, Errybee said:

The base S model is £25k

Just been looking on Carfile. The cheapest S model is £17910.40 for the 1.4 TSI. The 1.6 TDi is £19111.60. Where on earth do you get a £25K starting price from?

Edited by skidpan

Morrisox you are a star,seems i have been given so much duff information from dealership i have contacted recently,i was told price for base S was £25k and if i wanted bi xenons and metallic paint then £27k,i asked if SE had tinted windows and was told yes so that ruled that model out for me. If you are saying SE has same windows as S model then brilliant as i want cruise and adaptive cruise control but most pleasing of all i stay with a superb. Skidpan thanks for info and also Awaoffski for info. After checking skoda car configurator it seems the dealership salesman has been giving me a price for an SE instead of an S,i asked him for price for 2.0l tdi dsg with metallic paint and bi xenons,£27,445,i now know thanks to you guys that the price was bull,this was same guy who told me SE had sunset glass,crafty as he obviously knew glass was same as S model but more commission. 

Edited by Errybee
missed info
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, kriva said:

HID were not standard on the base model Mk2, neither was cruise control.

My Facelift MK2 "S" came with cruise control , bluetooth and steeringwheel controls

• Like 1

There are many things that could be said for the Mk3 Superb but poor VFM is surely not one...

My Sportline DSG Estate 190 (1.5k miles, 3 months old, new gearbox, new infotainments) cost me just shy of £26k from a skoda dealaer...

Kit includes lots of connectivity inc Bluetooth, keyless (3 keys), tints, 19', xennons (cornering), good audio, SD slots, gesture & voice control, heated folding mirrors, alcanra upholstery, electic drivers seat, dual zone climate, huge touchscreen, stop start, distance monitoring cruise control, colour changing ambient lighting, umbrellas in the door, 190 bhp & many torques, reversing sensors (disappointing its not a camera), fatigue detection, DAB, huge boot & rear, auto dimming mirrors, chilled glovebox & centre console, pedal parking brake...

What other cars can offer this for £33k new / £26 k used?

What would the equivalent 520 / E class / A6 / Ford cost?

11 hours ago, jonesinamillion said:

There are many things that could be said for the Mk3 Superb but poor VFM is surely not one...

My Sportline DSG Estate 190 (1.5k miles, 3 months old, new gearbox, new infotainments) cost me just shy of £26k from a skoda dealaer...

Kit includes lots of connectivity inc Bluetooth, keyless (3 keys), tints, 19', xennons (cornering), good audio, SD slots, gesture & voice control, heated folding mirrors, alcanra upholstery, electic drivers seat, dual zone climate, huge touchscreen, stop start, distance monitoring cruise control, colour changing ambient lighting, umbrellas in the door, 190 bhp & many torques, reversing sensors (disappointing its not a camera), fatigue detection, DAB, huge boot & rear, auto dimming mirrors, chilled glovebox & centre console, pedal parking brake...

What other cars can offer this for £33k new / £26 k used?

What would the equivalent 520 / E class / A6 / Ford cost?

Same price as I paid for a nearly-new albeit I've got an L&K.  Similar kit list to above.

Used BMW or Audi with similar miles and spec would be in the high 30k's I'd say.

On ‎29‎/‎01‎/‎2018 at 19:42, Errybee said:

Morrisox you are a star,seems i have been given so much duff information from dealership i have contacted recently,i was told price for base S was £25k and if i wanted bi xenons and metallic paint then £27k,i asked if SE had tinted windows and was told yes so that ruled that model out for me. If you are saying SE has same windows as S model then brilliant as i want cruise and adaptive cruise control but most pleasing of all i stay with a superb. Skidpan thanks for info and also Awaoffski for info. After checking skoda car configurator it seems the dealership salesman has been giving me a price for an SE instead of an S,i asked him for price for 2.0l tdi dsg with metallic paint and bi xenons,£27,445,i now know thanks to you guys that the price was bull,this was same guy who told me SE had sunset glass,crafty as he obviously knew glass was same as S model but more commission. 

From my experience of  salesman in main dealer it would be more than likely their complete lack of knowledge of the models than an actual attempt to deceive the buyer!!!

Funnily enough, my journey to purchasing a Superb started in the showrooms of the dealer who supplied my Octavia. I’d done my homework, of course, and was familiar with baseline numbers from Skoda’s own finance calculator. The dealer’s finance guy quoted me numbers WORSE than the finance calculator. He must have thought I’d got a mug tattooed to my forehead.

I walked. I went on Carwow. I bought from a dealer up north, for a lot less.

When will dealers wake up to the fact that buyers are better informed and pricing is much more visible?

That’s a shame. I have tinted rear windows on my Hackney Carriage. Councils can be funny and some of the rules can be like living in the 80s. Things move on. We have to have a 1kg fire extinguishers sucured in the boot. If ever my taxi was on fire I’m pretty sure the fire brigade don’t want me to try and put it out with a 1kg fire extinguisher and I wouldn’t be trying either. Our council are a bit funny that way too but at least I’m allowed at L&K.