Any diesel owners got rid because of new regs?

I have to admit as a result of doing less miles and the new diesel hype I am now considering swapping for a petrol, thing is I can't find anything that I'd like to swap for.  I don't really want to put any cash in and there is nothing really out their I'd swap mine for as it's a really decent spec vRS. 

Has anyone actually got rid of their diesel because of the government tightening up and what did you get instead?

Even as a low miles driver I always preferred diesel but this car is petrol because:

1: the government changed the VED rates so who cares about CO2 output or knocking holes in the ozone any more?

2: ever since deiselgate, the real-world economy figures, especially that from the VW group, aren't much better than the modern petrols

3: Many modern petrols have changed in character. Where once upon a time you had to rev them like crazy for performance, they now act like deisel with most of the torque coming lower in the rev range = more relaxed driving and better fuel economy.

4: the price differencial when new seems bigger than ever. Not sure if it's because of all the emissions technology derv requires, but a diesel is on average £1500 more. Where once I could justify the extra outlay by higher resale values, the reverse is now true.

If I were buying a car, then I'd chose petrol for what I think, not what any environmentalist, journalist or politician says. But if I already owned a diesel and was happy with it...  why on earth would I change it when I don't need to? It doesn't make any sense.

56 minutes ago, mk4gtiturbo said:

I have to admit as a result of doing less miles and the new diesel hype I am now considering swapping for a petrol, thing is I can't find anything that I'd like to swap for.  I don't really want to put any cash in and there is nothing really out their I'd swap mine for as it's a really decent spec vRS. 

Has anyone actually got rid of their diesel because of the government tightening up and what did you get instead?

I swap from diesel to petrol. The petrol VRS is so smooth compared to the diesel. The ride is better too! The diesel seem nose heavy compared to the petrol. 

I’d do it if I were you. 

• Like 1

I swapped mainly because my mileage dropped drastically when I retired and even Skoda's own website query why you are considering a diesel if you are low mileage (my annual mileage is under 8000 (why don't I buy a bike? :biggrin:))

Traded a 2.0TDi Octavia SE L DSG Estate May 16 plate for a 1.5TSi SE L DSG Hatch November 67 plate - both in race blue. I realised shortly after buying the estate that a diesel was the wrong car now plus the Estate wasn't as comfortable as my previous Mk 2 1.9TDi Ambiente. The Estate was intended as a keeper and bought on PCP. Traded in and stayed on PCP. The new Hatch is a keeper.

Smiled to myself when I saw on the dealers website that they sold my traded in Estate for about £300 less than they gave me for it.

<What the hell am I smiling about they flogged me over 50 grands worth of cars in 18 months>

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Tim1631 said:

I swap from diesel to petrol. The petrol VRS is so smooth compared to the diesel. The ride is better too! The diesel seem nose heavy compared to the petrol. 

I’d do it if I were you. 

+1

• Like 1

1 minute ago, YMe said:

I swapped mainly because my mileage dropped drastically when I retired and even Skoda's own website query why you are considering a diesel if you are low mileage (my annual mileage is under 8000 (why don't I buy a bike? :biggrin:))

Traded a 2.0TDi Octavia SE L DSG Estate May 16 plate for a 1.5TSi SE L DSG Hatch November 67 plate - both in race blue. I realised shortly after buying the estate that a diesel was the wrong car now plus the Estate wasn't as comfortable as my previous Mk 2 1.9TDi Ambiente. The Estate was intended as a keeper and bought on PCP. Traded in and stayed on PCP. The new Hatch is a keeper.

Smiled to myself when I saw on the dealers website that they sold my traded in Estate for about £300 less than they gave me for it.

<What the hell am I smiling about they flogged me over 50 grands worth of cars in 18 months>

50k wow!

Every new car I get I say I will keep. 18 months in I am swapping again haha

Edited by Tim1631
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

All very interesting if you need to change a car and need to move on from a diesel, 

?

But what regulation changes have taken place that affects the diesel that you have which the UK Government introduced?

There are local authorities that introduces changes in parking permits, but does that affect you where you are?

Just now, Tim1631 said:

50k wow!

Estate @£24,000 ish - Hatch @+£28.000

Not paid for yet; the government is  keeping watch over my balloon at 10% a year.

It's either new car or the kid's inheritance - sorry kids!!

• Like 1

I didn't know about the better ride and driveability of the petrol or may be it is better because it is a Hatch. I do know that my Mk3 TSi DSG Hatch  drives as well as the Mk2 TDi.  DSG Hatch So i suspect it is Estate vs Hatch rather than oil versus petrol but either way I've had three Octavias and loved them all and am as happy as a dog with two ***** with my current Octy.

I'm just in the process of ordering my next company car, and for the first time in 15 years it will be a petrol.

For the 150bhp diesel and petrol engines the petrol is now 1% lower BIK which isn't much in the real world, but as the petrol version is cheaper than the diesel I can spec a nicer car for my P11D budget.

Superb Sportline on order B)

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, CoolC said:

I'm just in the process of ordering my next company car, and for the first time in 15 years it will be a petrol.

For the 150bhp diesel and petrol engines the petrol is now 1% lower BIK which isn't much in the real world, but as the petrol version is cheaper than the diesel I can spec a nicer car for my P11D budget.

Superb Sportline on order B)

Nice car!

what engine are you going for?

I am currently looking for a second hand Octavia mk3 petrol, having got rid of a diesel for a whole multitude of reasons. What I can say is the petrols (1.2&1.4) are fetching a better price than diesels. The Skoda dealers are selling 3 year old petrols for a grand more than equivalent diesels and aren’t prepared to move much on the price.

I’ve avoided a diesel for as long as I possibly could but with 25-30kpa miles to do I decided to have a diesel this time. If buying new (or non vRS) I would have gone petrol and tbh it actually came down to the spec of the 4 cars on my list and the one I now own won as it is a DSG equipped car and that’s more important to me than petrol v diesel. Also, as the car was bought using finance I don’t really care about the residual value; if it drops like a stone in the next 2 years I can just VT and move on. As I’m likely to move house to fit my next career move once I’ve finished my Masters I may well go down that route and go back to having a petrol daily.

4 hours ago, mk4gtiturbo said:

I've got a gentle broken in 245 if you're interested, never raced or ragged well, sort of...

We have two TSI's and one TDi. The petrols are great but for 20k+ miles a year the diesel still works out cheaper unless you spend your days driving into LEZ areas.

If you do average mileage then it has to be petrol.

11 hours ago, themanwithnoaim said:

I've got a gentle broken in 245 if you're interested, never raced or ragged well, sort of...

Tony,  Two problems with this, firstly I said I not putting cash in and secondly, I think legally you can't sell something you don't own!!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Taken from the Autoexpress article:

Emissions testing will also get tougher, with changes that will, according to a Government blog on the subject: “lower the limits for diesel cars”. The draft MoT inspection manual for May’s changes explains that if the “exhaust on a vehicle fitted with a diesel particulate filter emits visible smoke of any colour” the car should be marked as having a Major defect, and fail its test. 

Looking forward to exactly what vehicles are having fails that has a Diesel Particulate Filter and emits 'visible smoke of any colour'. 

So Euro 4 & Euro 5 Diesels, Euro 6 as well that might be first registered from 2015 & Zero smoke, none, nothing, not a hint of smoke or off the road it goes.

Edited by AwaoffSki
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, AwaoffSki said:

Looking forward to exactly what vehicles are having fails that has a Diesel Particulate Filter and emits 'visible smoke of any colour'. 

So Euro 4 & Euro 5 Diesels, Euro 6 as well that might be first registered from 2015 & Zero smoke, none, nothing, not a hint of smoke or off the road it goes.

hope this will include busses that regularly cover my car in smoke when they pull off

Seemingly the DVSA are having problems getting enough Monkeys as their Union rates and too high,

and have ruled out using Pandas to observe the Smoke out of tail pipes 

so need more young people trained up that have good eye sight.

Edited by AwaoffSki

why would you change just for a 'potential' issue that might or might not occur - just daft and throwing money away IMHO...   I'll stick with my 07 Mk2 TDi