2016 vRS, noise/buzz from behind dash

Hi all, my car has a very annoying noise/buzz/rattle from behind the dash, its been there from new, spoke to the dealer at the time and it was basically "we'll need to remove the dash"! Yeah, remove the dash to get rid of one noise and gain two others - no thanks! However, 22 months & 54k miles later, the noise has now gone from being there at 1000rpm to being there around 2000rpm - so basically normal travelling speed. Its wrecking me! Anyone else had similar issues and if so did you get to the bottom of it?

TIA.

Mine has this buzz - its been in once took the binnacle off the steering wheel surround off etc but the technician couldn't trace it, it goes back in a couple of weeks - they are going to take the dash off, its so annoying I am willing to take the risk as I just don't think it will get better  - probably worse as in your case.

I will let you know if they fix it.

16 minutes ago, finnster01 said:

Mine has this buzz - its been in once took the binnacle off the steering wheel surround off etc but the technician couldn't trace it, it goes back in a couple of weeks - they are going to take the dash off, its so annoying I am willing to take the risk as I just don't think it will get better  - probably worse as in your case.

I will let you know if they fix it.

Cheers, yes please keep me posted. I was thinking about removing the stereo screen and/or the clock binnacle - pretty big hole there to put my hand in....

• 4 weeks later...
On 31/01/2018 at 22:51, cherry evo said:

Cheers, yes please keep me posted. I was thinking about removing the stereo screen and/or the clock binnacle - pretty big hole there to put my hand in....

Hi, went in today to take the car to pieces to locate the buzz - should get it back Wednesday so will let you know - in the meantime nipping around in a VW UP!!!

I've got this and tried everything - removed the Amundsen screen and poked around, even removed the central speaker grille on top of the dash, but found nothing obvious.

I've now found a TPI on Erwin about a rattle that has been reported, especially bad in DSG Sport mode. They suggest it's the sound actuator badly adjusted and vibrating against its bracket, and to try loosening the retaining bolt/nut and moving it away from the bracket, then retightening.

The unit is located in the plenum chamber under the front wiper scuttle panel. I haven't tried it yet, but I have disabled the sound generator via VCDS so not sure if it will make any difference. I also discovered that keeping both centre vents closed seems to help!

The rattle is definately from Inside the dash?

There were a few issues early on with the O3 of the Wind deflector vibrating against the window which causes a vibration & sounded like it was coming from Inside.

My vRS has a rattle somewhere around the drivers A pillar, windscreen & Dashboard.

Its worst when cold but in 4 years I've not be able to pin point it.

As you, I dont want the dealer to take out the dash as I know it will never go back the same as from the factory.

Mine started doing exactly the same a couple of weeks back, and it's driving me mad.
Comes on at exactly 2000rpm, I tried locating it yesterday but to no avail.

As previously mentioned I'm wondering if it's something to do with the stoopid sound generator thing, because it sounds like it's high on the dash and near the centre.

I've not really used the noise generator, as I unplugged it after 4 miles when I collected new from the dealer because I personally think it sounds awful.

Snow permitting I may have a rummage under the scuttle panel later.

On 17/02/2018 at 11:19, Rybu79 said:

Technical product information 2043785/3 

Rattle from dash when accelerating or in 'Sport' mode (UK TPI) 

My car is in for dash Rattle - checked however on road test it was not making the noise which is typical. 

I have gave Skoda the tpi number and print out. Will see. 

Edited by Rybu79

8 hours ago, butchvrs said:

Mine started doing exactly the same a couple of weeks back, and it's driving me mad.
Comes on at exactly 2000rpm, I tried locating it yesterday but to no avail.

As previously mentioned I'm wondering if it's something to do with the stoopid sound generator thing, because it sounds like it's high on the dash and near the centre.

I've not really used the noise generator, as I unplugged it after 4 miles when I collected new from the dealer because I personally think it sounds awful.

Snow permitting I may have a rummage under the scuttle panel later.

Do you hear much engine noise without the generator? I've just bought a mk3 and it sort of half annoys me, would rather real noise but would miss it if it was just silence without it

Edited by Saints92

12 minutes ago, Saints92 said:

Do you hear much engine noise without the generator? I've just bought a mk3 and it sort of half annoys me, would rather real noise but would miss it if it was just silence without it

No the TSI is very quiet, but it's not silent. I have mine set to about 35%. You get a small amount of noise without it being over the top.

• Like 1

So I have not got it back yet, but they have diagnosed it as the knee airbag rattling against the housing, another one is on order and should be fitted tomorrow.

The Skoda technician has been really good, talked me through exactly what he did, what he took apart, took it for lots of test drives etc.

It was fairly obvious that it was coming from the dashboard area - but not so obvious as to exactly where from and he made it quite clear he wouldn't give up until he found it!

I pick it up tomorrow PM so will hopefully have a rattle free drive home!!!

21 hours ago, Rybu79 said:

Does it happen on acceleration?

every time?

what driving mode is the car in?

mine has developed this. 

It was in all modes, when the cabin was warm and only under acceleration - but it was pretty constant and really annoying!

• Thanks 1

My sound actuator developed a very annoying buzzy rattle at about 2.5k revs a few months after I bought the car (May ‘17, 2014 car) after some very ‘spirited’ driving in sport mode on French back roads. 

Took it in to Blade WSM & the master technician ‘re-calibrated’ the actuator & the problem went away. 

HTH

Got it back from the Dealers and they have done it, perfect silence (apart from the tyre roar and wind noise) so it was the knee air bag, luckily they identified it before ripping the dash to pieces!

They even gave it a health check and topped up the fluids too, so very happy bunny now!!!

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...
On 2/28/2018 at 19:19, finnster01 said:

Got it back from the Dealers and they have done it, perfect silence (apart from the tyre roar and wind noise) so it was the knee air bag, luckily they identified it before ripping the dash to pieces!

They even gave it a health check and topped up the fluids too, so very happy bunny now!!!

wtf is knee air bag?

13 minutes ago, cherry evo said:

Excellent news Finnster! How much of the dash/panels were removed to locate it? - Didnt know they had knee bags!

Don't know, apparently they said it was the last thing they checked before they were going to dismantle the dashboard so lucky really.

I had no idea about the knee air bag either but apparently my car has one - the car is still rattle/buzz free so I guess it worked!

Dealer told me that [technicians] "they think its coming from the heater matrix"..... I'm going to ask the service manager to print me off all the dash diagrams off Ekta and take it apart myself! 1st thing I'll be checking is the knee bags area!!