Hrco's Fabia '02

BlindReaper

Since I've read some cool projects here, decided to make my own thread and put up some of my progress since purchasing this Fabia.

So, few weeks ago I came across this little beauty, Škoda Fabia 1.4 MPI with 60kW 2002. running on petrol (never been a fan of Diesels), and has 142k km/88k miles on the clock.

I'm a second owner of this car, previous owner has put some care into it, gave me a car to test drive for a whole week, so I drove it to work and about, checked it all around, no noises, no check engine light, no rust underneath it, everything seemed fine and okay, despite a little rough idle which I've figured will be okay when I do some basic cleanup of stuff and a low coolant lamp blinking from time to time. :)

Here she is (this pic is taken today, a month ago since buying her)

IMG_20180202_131219.thumb.jpg.075f103bb9b0c3e17ad4f32a3e49bdd8.jpg

Notice she's quite dirty since I haven't got a time to give her a proper full clean of the exterior.

Some thing I've done since owning her are:

• new oil, I've put some Total Quartz  5W-40 full syntetic, since I'm familiar with this oil and quite happy with its performance on another car
  • new oil filter
  • new air filter, also cleaned the plastic hose thingy and filter housing
  • new fuel filter, that was a real pain to do so I had to get her over to my mechanic to lift her up
  • new spark plugs, previously there were some Champion ones together with a Bosch one on cilinder 1 :speechless: so I've dropped some Bosch r6 I think, since they haven't had NGK's

Already she felt quite happy with these simple things, and I felt proud for making her feel better, you could hear the difference in idle, notice I'm not a mechanic, but last 5 years I've been fond of opening the hood and fiddling with cars, lots learned from youtube videos and my own trial and error :D

Also, the thing I noticed was that the brake pedal feel was a little bit spongy, so naturally I lifted her up, took of the wheels and bled the brakes, besides the spongy brake pedal I wanted to do it regardless of it, just for my own sake, and to fulfill my OCD thingy.

Since then, she got a fresh chemical deep clean of the interior, not quite sure how you call it, and I was happy and sure that my car is squeaky clean on the inside.

Few days ago, I wanted to take a look at the inlet manifold, and that throttle thingy, not to mention it was dirty, but not as terrible as I've expected, notice that she has 142k kilometres on the clock (about 88k miles), so I've cleaned that, took a look at the inlet manifold, that looks fine, cleaned what looked to me the like the MAF sensor, but the location was weird, it was bolted to inlet manifold just below the throttle, so I took the MAF cleaner and gave it some squirts of it, let it all dry out, put it all together with some threadlocker and bolted it all back together. After that the idle was even more nicer. Also, took out the random 45 Ah battery and put a freshly charged 2 year old Varta Black with 65 Ah which is in a great state (not that the old battery was bad, I had a better one around so I've dropped it in).

Here's some pictures:

Clean throttle body, sorry no pictures of the dirty version

IMG_20180131_132723.thumb.jpg.71362de61369a6c645354dabf870d570.jpg

So yesterday I've took upon another challenge, and that was getting out dropped bulb out of the rear headlight housing, took both apart, cleaned them with water since there were some dust inside of them, put it all back together and noticed my reverse lights aren't working. Checked bulbs with voltmeter, checked fuses, everything seemed just okay but they weren't working. Naturally opened Briskoda and found out that switch may be faulty which crossed my mind but wasn't sure of it. Came back and found out that the plastic housing broke off, mixed some glue and got it all working again. 

Again, I'm sorry but there is no picture of the finished product, you can imagine how a switch looks like all plugged in tho.

IMG_20180201_122103.thumb.jpg.9946cf6db242bd80935bb80da8d8ea7a.jpg

• Like 1

Inlet manifold which doesn't look so bad to me ( the thing that looked like MAF was sitting just above the hole on the housing which you see on the picture

IMG_20180131_132641.thumb.jpg.60e6b06eb535d7a7afc582db3d0f2636.jpg

After that I decided to change license plate lights, shoved some LED's in there, now it looks real nice, put some bright LED's for sidelights and fitted Osram Nightbreakers for low beams. Also I had some time to spare so I decided to solder some LED strip for a courtesy lights indoors

IMG_20180201_135653.thumb.jpg.c8c90bd599dfd706fe11748c6ca4465f.jpg

If you ever wonder, the positive is on the left handside, regarding the plug for a switch

IMG_20180201_135708.thumb.jpg.5d521a690965039ed50537a3b8df33c6.jpg

So yeah, I got a quite of bit of work done in past week or so, and that is because I currently on vacation, next week I'm back to work so naturally less time to give attention to projects.

Some future plans are:

• wetsand and polish headlights, maybe put some Lamin-x on them, also do the same with rear ones
  • sand and paint the chrome plastic on front and replace the emblem (the retro b&w one is ordered and arriving soon)
  • cambelts and camchain
  • cooling system flush
  • painting calipers and rear drums
  • some other bits

Look what I have ready :cool: 

IMG_20180201_143202.thumb.jpg.9c0199b0c80219c4abfaa9e1e7c55a4f.jpg

Anyways, this is just a start of some lets call it project on a daily driver car, feel free to give some advice, all of your comments are welcome. :) 

Have a great day! :D 

• 1 year later...

Hey folks! Long time no see, luckily I have some news and updates regarding my  Fabia!

Pictures below

Couple of things first, I've put some new disc pads and rotors in front, polished up head and switched the head gasket and some bits regarding small leak, also my father managed to brake left axle so I've got a new one and put some new gearbox in her, that was one major thing that I did to my car, it happened just before the winter. In preparation for winter I've got some new Vredestein Snowtrac 5s for her, I've never had premium tyres on my cars so this was a whole new world for me, there's no going back from this point I've said to myself that I won't cheap out on tyres ever again, so happy with them.

After that, some mods happened, I've deleted that small plastic breather tube and fitted a new flex tube which is about 75mm in diameter I think, car seemed to breathe better in higher speeds and sound got a bit better, so I was pretty happy with that little mod which costed me about 25€ and about an hour of total work.

I've bought some new headlights, fitted those and put some new nightbreakers for main beams, some smd leds from ebay for sidelights and currently I'm waiting to test out some leds for high beams, currently rocking some osram ones not quite sure which, they arent the best out there. Also, put some leds for backplates, currently waiting for some leds from Aliexpress to replace reverse bulbs, and also some led bulbs for signal lights.

Naturally I've painted the front chrome grill black, and put new style badge on it, love the modern look now.

I've wired up a volt meter and a phone charger just behind the ashtray and put a small on of switch for it.

And some recent mods were installing a brand new stereo system, wired up sony cdx-G1200U head unit, sony front speakers which are 50W RMS and some sony rears which are 60W RMS and I've fitted those on the back panel, ofcourse I've had to run the wires for rears. Thing sounds incredible even without amplifier, I was amazed. Rear speaker install was really easy, but the front ones were a bit trickier. hacking off old speakers, fitting new ones in that stupid plastic, glueing it, riveting and screwing it on back together, was quite proud of myself after all, but the frustration was real! :D

Antenna broke off so I've replaced that, ordered some golf one from ebay and it fitted bolt on, also looks way cooler than just a wire sticking out the back of the car.

Also did new oil, filters and plugs just about a week ago, so she's rolling 165k kilometres or 102k miles

Considering everything I've did to her, I'm impressed and quite happy, brings out the grin on my face while driving her :D

Next plan is to get some new summer tyres, timing chain replacement at summer since she rattles a bit when warm, I need to fix the rear door leaks and that's it I think. Been reading some stuff about RARB but it's too expensive to order it from ebay in UK since I'm from Croatia, with shipping it costs 210 pounds which is way too much for me after exchange rates.

Anyways, enough blabbering, here's some pics! Quite dirty from winter tho!

IMG_20190222_132501.jpg

IMG_20190222_132611.jpg

IMG_20190222_132638.jpg

IMG_20190222_132708.jpg

IMG_20190222_132741.jpg

IMG_20190222_132911.jpg

IMG_20190222_133044.jpg

IMG_20190222_133131.jpg

IMG_20190222_133149.jpg

IMG_20190222_133244.jpg

IMG_20190204_1212544.jpg