Start/ stop

yeti yeti

Hi all, 

Any body having trouble with their start, stop on a Karoq. Mine wants to stop a bit to quickly before the car has actually stopped moving. A bit annoying when approaching a. Roundabout or traffic lights. 

The engine cuts out when you are below 10mph with your foot on the brake but car still rolling, as you stop and let your foot off the brake the engine restarts and then decides it wants to stop again, 

it also likes to stop when engine is cold as well, pull out of junction first roundabout 100 yards away have to stop because of traffic and it’s stopped. I thought they let the engine warm up first,

The car is a 150 4x4 Diesel Edition 

car booked in for a visit 

I noticed it on mine this morning. I had the Auto Hold enabled so that it restarts when you touch the steering wheel or the accelerator pedal, rather than when you take your foot off the brake pedal. Mines DSG so might work differently though. I'll try it again with Auto Hold switched off.

My Leon only does that if you dip the clutch and coast to the lights or roundabout, but it never starts and stops again, it won’t start until I take my foot off the brake and then the engine keeps running.

But I did notice when I test drove the Karoq 4x4 dsg how often it stopped, which I think will be very annoying to me now I’ve ordered a 2.0 4x4. I thought it was just a trait of the dsg.

I take it the starter motor is beefed up to take all this strain of starting and stopping all the time.

Edited by Karman

• 2 weeks later...
On 17/02/2018 at 12:20, Karman said:

My Leon only does that if you dip the clutch and coast to the lights or roundabout, but it never starts and stops again, it won’t start until I take my foot off the brake and then the engine keeps running.

But I did notice when I test drove the Karoq 4x4 dsg how often it stopped, which I think will be very annoying to me now I’ve ordered a 2.0 4x4. I thought it was just a trait of the dsg.

I take it the starter motor is beefed up to take all this strain of starting and stopping all the time.

I wouldn’t bet on it.

The whole starter system must take a pounding, so I wouldn’t like to buy a 2nd hand car that’s lived it’s life Stop / Starting.

Gona be ££££££££

As I find it a very disconcerting feature simply installed to beat emmission rules, I simply turn it off every time I start up.

The car has been into the garage today to see what they think. The result was this is how the second generation start /stop works. They have tested it against another one and had contact with Skoda UK,

I told them that if the car had done this when I test drove it I wouldn’t have brought the car. 

I think a email to Skoda Uk is on its way,  how they think this is ok I don’t know. 

I don’t expect I will get much joy out of them. 

I did ask them to doctor the system but they wouldn’t, I will have to find someone with the right software near me. 

• 3 months later...

Yeah, I have noticed that on my karoq and it can be disconcerting.  Mine is a DSG so if I am "unlucky" with timing when pulling out from a junction I have to wait for the start-stop to start, the auto hold to release, the DSG to engage and the turbo to cut in, by which time the gap has closed to a millimeter!  I have now learnt to turn off the start-stop and the auto-hold and just holding it on the foot-brake.

Mine also cuts the engine slightly too soon but I've learnt that its down to how much pressure you apply to the brake pedal. I can usually time it now at junctions that the engine cuts when I want by applying a bit more pressure. I find that auto-hold isn't really needed with the DSG box so tend to have it switched off.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RichardPB said:

Mine also cuts the engine slightly too soon but I've learnt that its down to how much pressure you apply to the brake pedal. I can usually time it now at junctions that the engine cuts when I want by applying a bit more pressure. I find that auto-hold isn't really needed with the DSG box so tend to have it switched off.

I do exactly the same.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, MarcusKaroq said:

Can also be changed in the settings or not in eco mode. 

I like the feature and auto hold , if I’m at a junction and on auto hold feet of the pedals and I want to get ready to move I nudge the steering wheel which will start the engine ready to move of my wife even does this now 

1 hour ago, patrolman said:

I like the feature and auto hold , if I’m at a junction and on auto hold feet of the pedals and I want to get ready to move I nudge the steering wheel which will start the engine ready to move of my wife even does this now 

Funny how we all have our own way of doing things, I find it easier to just 'blip' the throttle to start the engine and auto hold remains engaged, never got the hang of nudging the steering wheel.

I have only noticed my engine cut out once the auto hold has engaged.

• Like 2

It's not mentioned in the OP, but I'm assuming these complaints relate to cars equipped with DSG?

With a manual gearbox, in the situation the OP describes, either the clutch pedal would be depressed or you'd be on a light throttle, thus preventing the stop/start from activating?

I guess if it's that much of an issue you just need to remember to manually turn stop/start off.

It is possible to permanently disable stop/start too with the help of VCDS, if it gets too much to bear.

• 1 year later...
  • 2 months later...

I think there might be other unwanted adverse effects though. This might be the wire than monitors the battery condition.

Whilst the broken wire may now be fooling the stop/start system into thinking the battery is charge is low, and thus disabling stop/start, the necessity to monitor the battery condition is a requisite for other vehicle functions too.

• Like 1

Yes, thank you for this comment , I don`t intend to leave it like this, when i found the broken wire today i went to Caffyns  Skoda Ashford, thinking the wire had melted and broken.  The man from the Service Dept took one look and said this was a mouse attack?,  I am due an oil change soon so will get cable repaired @ the same time.    By the way a few weeks after having the car I found a small square of sliced bread on top of the ABS pump, If it had been cheese !!

• Like 1

• 10 months later...

What is acceptable.

I am astonished at the number of problems that are being found and yet the reaction to them is pretty much a shrug of  the shoulder and "that's how it is". My most recent problem (probably my fault ! ) was that I managed to lock my key in  the boot which resulted in a friend bringing the spare'. Can I turn off the electronic "stuff" that controls all this. When I first got he car (Qaroq Scout 4x4 2ltr Diesel) I had all manner of problems with the stop/start, worst and most dangerous in my opinion being a violent stall when attempting to pull out into a stream of cars. I was persuaded to persevere as it was supposedly down to my driving style and I would get used to it. A bit of a cheek I thought but I stuck with it on the basis that if when I have occasion to get the engine/drive-train reset my thoughts are

"if it stays calm it's down to me getting used to it as the reset made no difference"

"If the violence comes back it is because of the engine/etc "

Guess what - back came the stalling !!

I tried to get the car changed over as fundamentally it is a nice car but it has taken forever to get any response to that.

A change of sales manager without letting me know and the COVID-19 nonsense has taken it's toll on time