Diesel fuel economy

Muff

Asking other people about fuel consumption is pointless. We do not know how you drove over those 35 miles, we don't know what the roads were like, we don't know what the trafic was like, we don't know what the weather was like etc etc, all important factors.

If you are happy that is all that matters.

But I have to say that single trip figures are pointless, an average over several thousand miles is what matters.

• Like 3

Just proving @skidpan's point. I am getting 51.5 average from my 190 2.0TDI FWD over the past 2,000 miles. But it's over large distances, almost all motorway and fast A road. Did a trip to my local retail park last night (25 mile round trip in the rush hour) - got 37MPG. Both are fine by me, but ultimately meaningless to anyone else.

To add something more positive, @Muff your economy certainly seems reasonable. Whether you could get any more out of it - no idea, but I value the enjoyment of the drive more than an extra 0.5MPG so don't let it bother me too much. If you bought a 190 AWD I suspect you might too...

29 minutes ago, IJWS15 said:

My 2wd 150 is averaging high 50s on my commute but most of that is Jn 11 M6 to J3 M5 in the morning and returning northwards evening so not complaining.

Sounds pretty much where I'd expect it to be. I was getting low 60s out of my now-departed SII 140.

5 minutes ago, xman said:

With the 1.4 tsi capable of figures not much less and the new tsi's later this year probably even more economical, its questionable that diesel is still the right choice for many people.

Not sure about this. We're in the middle of winter now, so I'm expecting consumption to improve by 4-5MPG as we lose the need for constant heating, headlights, demist, heated seats etc etc. That would put the 150 where my 140 SII was, and mine in the high 50s . Multiply that up by 30k miles a year and it's quite a chunk of money. If it turns out otherwise with the new TSI engines, I'd be very happy to consider a return to petrol! 

Do not expect any significant improvement.  Mine has 35k on it now and the long term average across 28 months with a 60 mile round trip commute remains around 43 - Summer and Winter.  This is well short of the test data (and we know how rubbish that really is) used to sell the car.  If I had known just how inaccurate Škoda’s figures are beforehand I wouldn't have bought it.  The difference is indeed a significant chunk of money!

I can only hope that the new EU6 emissions checks with real-world driving data also bring more accurate, real world economy data too.

Edited by FelisBengalensis

My 150 TDI DSG averages 52mpg on a longer run at the moment, it was doing 57mpg when I first got it in September.

I've just been out on a quick trip of 1 mile each way and got 28mpg.

2 hours ago, FelisBengalensis said:

Do not expect any significant improvement.  Mine has 35k on it now and the long term average across 28 months with a 60 mile round trip commute remains around 43 - Summer and Winter.  This is well short of the test data (and we know how rubbish that really is) used to sell the car.  If I had known just how inaccurate Škoda’s figures are beforehand I wouldn't have bought it.  The difference is indeed a significant chunk of money!

I can only hope that the new EU6 emissions checks with real-world driving data also bring more accurate, real world economy data too.

Every manufacturer has unrealistic figures, they look at the rules and sail as close to them as they can.

The only conclusions you can draw from these figures is the difference between manufacturers.

I’ve done 3 tank to tank fill ups. 800 miles on the clock now and tank to tank it was 39, 38 and 39mpg. 

150 DSG. Mostly town driving with the odd long (40 mile trip)

I don’t think I’ll ever get anything over 40mpg when I used to do the same type VRS and it did 45mpg all day long (manual)

Edited by aldouk

10 hours ago, xman said:

With the 1.4 tsi capable of figures not much less and the new tsi's later this year probably even more economical, its questionable that diesel is still the right choice for many people.

I think I'd reserve judgement on the new petrol engines until we have real life experience of the effect of particulate filters fitted.

Otherwise I wholly agree with your sentiment regarding the current 1.4tsi engines against diesels.

16 hours ago, Muff said:

I have finally managed to average 47mpg over a 35 mile extra urban drive. Is this as good as I can expect from a 4x4 diesel?

Considering the permanent extra weight and drag of AWD I'd not be too disappointed with that.

My manual 150 diesel was averaging around 50mpg throughout last year until the Winter. Over Winter closer to 45mpg, and now improving significantly as (I assume) I have a tankful of less-heavily-winterised fuel and I'm doing more longer journeys. Until last month I was doing a lot of shorter (inadvisable for derv) journeys, but over the last month I've been doing longer A road and motorway journeys and I'm seeing an average of around 55mpg.

It all depends on driver and traffic. My car 190tdi DSG 4x4 can easily achieve (according to trip) 56-58mpg on my daily commute. Picture shows trip from October Stockholm, cold outside and summer tires. But I can also easily achieve  38mpg on the same trip without getting to work any quicker... If I put some effort to it I might get as low as 32mpg and shave one minute from travel time :)

20171017_063257.jpg

20 hours ago, xman said:

When we bought the Leon 1.4 140 PS TSi almost 5 years ago the version with the 150 PS TDi was £2000 more. We had been driving diesels since 1996 (Golf TDi 90 was our first) had had loved them for performance and economy. We all know that the official mpg figures are nonsense, the best average we saw over the 19 years we drove diesels was 51 mpg approx form the Ceed CRDi. I have always found Honest Johns Real mpg figures pretty good, they gave the Leon 140 TSi 45 mpg and the 150 TDi 53 mpg. Based on those figures, the extra £2000 purchase price and assuming we would have got a good wedge of that £2000 back at PX time we would have needed to drive probably 70,000 miles to break even. The TSi was a much nicer drive and with our annual mileage at approx 8,000 it was an easy choice and after almost 4 years of owning it certainly the correct one.

When we swapped the Leon for the Superb last year the decision was really easy, another 1.4 TSi.

• Like 1

As already mentioned; you can’t compare economy of like for like engines from driver to driver. Everyone’s driving styles, routes and climates vary. 

I’ve driven VAG diesels in various guises over the last 10 years and they have no doubt come on a long way, the 150 ps TDI in my Sportline is the best I’ve had to date; very smooth and civilised. I also used to exceed the published MPG figures on a daily basis (tank-to-tank calculations). 

However I no longer do a daily commute that gets the best out of the engine and subsequently the economy has dropped significantly whereas my running costs are creeping up all the time. I’m now at the point where there’s absolutely no benefit to having a diesel.  I covered 570 miles on my last tank. I used to get ~740. 

There’s just some scenarios where a diesel shouldn’t even be a consideration. It’s not a magic technology that saves money just because it’s there.  Mileage and usage criteria need to be Goldilocks (just right) 

I've been getting slightly under 50 mpg since I got my 150hp version - mostly on windy, hilly roads, though not normally in too much traffic. I'd say this met my expectations - if not the official figures. It's been improving gradually, as my Yeti did (quite a lot after the first 15k or so). The economy is about the same now as the Yeti after the engine had been driven in, and this had a much less powerful engine and was a manual - which is good IMHO. There was also a noticeable improvement in performance when the weather was warmer a few weeks back, so hopefully spring and summer will bring further improvements. I'm currently doing about 1,100kms (680 miles) on a tank.

Edited by The Wanderer

4 minutes ago, BriskodaJeff said:

Says the man who has a 280 petrol on order!

Yes I am just jealous :biggrin:

Not had confirmation of an order yet :sweat:

AND.  I may change said 'order' anyway as I can't quite commit myself to Meteor Grey or 'Silky Mushroom Turd' as I think it looks in certain light.  :thinking:

19 minutes ago, penguin17 said:

AND.  I may change said 'order' anyway as I can't quite commit myself to Meteor Grey or 'Silky Mushroom Turd' as I think it looks in certain light.  :thinking:

Sounds Awful... Stump up for Velvet Red...it looks lovely in the metal (it's what I wanted but OH wouldn't let me fork out £900 for a bit of paint :crying: )

Edited by hwr1983

32 minutes ago, penguin17 said:

A glittering career in the marketing department at Skoda UK awaits I reckon.

Go with black magic. That way at least the rest of us will have the small consolation of knowing that you are spending more time cleaning it than driving it.:) 

• Haha 2

11 minutes ago, hwr1983 said:

Sounds Awful... Stump up for Velvet Red...it looks lovely in the metal (it's what I wanted but OH wouldn't let me fork out £900 for a bit of paint :crying: )

Half the problem is that nobody in the UK has ordered one, not even a dealer demo so I have no way of seeing what it will look like before the order gets locked.  I was up for it until earlier on today when a MG Fabia Monte Carlo parked on my neighbours drive.  The offside wing looked almost beige in the sunlight whereas the shaded part of the bonnet looked like grey.  I preferred my Business Grey when they were side by side TBH. 

45 minutes ago, penguin17 said:

Half the problem is that nobody in the UK has ordered one, not even a dealer demo so I have no way of seeing what it will look like before the order gets locked.  I was up for it until earlier on today when a MG Fabia Monte Carlo parked on my neighbours drive.  The offside wing looked almost beige in the sunlight whereas the shaded part of the bonnet looked like grey.  I preferred my Business Grey when they were side by side TBH. 

Saw the Velvet Red it on a Karoq in the Showroom (Bickerton's Sheffield), and I thought it would look good on a Superb Estate :) and if you have a Seat Dealer near you, is VERY similar to their "Desire Red".

• Like 1