Question about adblue

On 16/06/2018 at 18:46, BriskodaJeff said:

Thought I'd resurrect this one rather than start a new thread to describe my experience for those who haven't done a refill yet. In short, it was a complete non-event. It's a relief, because this was the last big worry about buying the car as I've never had one that needs adblue before and I'd read horror stories on here of overfilling leading to tanks having to be drained etc.

Yesterday I got the 1,500 mile range warning, with a minimum refill of 1 gallon and maximum 2.5 gallons. A bit of schoolboy arithmetic told me that would let me get 10 litres in there. I declined Shell's kind offer of 1.5 litres for £9.99 (who on earth buys at those prices?) and nipped into Halfords for 10 litres at £11. Filled up while standing outside the shop.

The container has a filler nozzle that fits into the car's adblue tank neck rather than screwing onto the filler cap but it worked just fine anyway. Be warned, it's a bit heavy to hold while filling, but not disastrously so. Five minutes later I was done. Started the car and the range warning came on then disappeared almost immediately. Checked the adblue range and it now says 8,000 miles. I suspect this will go up to 9,500 when I hit the motorway on Monday morning.

Happy bunny this evening, and hope this gives some comfort to anyone else concerned about it.

Yes it is pretty simple.  A bit strange the first time but after that its easy

On 6/16/2018 at 18:46, BriskodaJeff said:

Thought I'd resurrect this one rather than start a new thread to describe my experience for those who haven't done a refill yet. In short, it was a complete non-event. It's a relief, because this was the last big worry about buying the car as I've never had one that needs adblue before and I'd read horror stories on here of overfilling leading to tanks having to be drained etc.

Yesterday I got the 1,500 mile range warning, with a minimum refill of 1 gallon and maximum 2.5 gallons. A bit of schoolboy arithmetic told me that would let me get 10 litres in there. I declined Shell's kind offer of 1.5 litres for £9.99 (who on earth buys at those prices?) and nipped into Halfords for 10 litres at £11. Filled up while standing outside the shop.

The container has a filler nozzle that fits into the car's adblue tank neck rather than screwing onto the filler cap but it worked just fine anyway. Be warned, it's a bit heavy to hold while filling, but not disastrously so. Five minutes later I was done. Started the car and the range warning came on then disappeared almost immediately. Checked the adblue range and it now says 8,000 miles. I suspect this will go up to 9,500 when I hit the motorway on Monday morning.

Happy bunny this evening, and hope this gives some comfort to anyone else concerned about it.

I filled mine up last week, using a pipe that screws into the 10 litre container and the filler nozzle, so there can be no spillages or contamination.  As mentioned above, it's a bit of a non-event but it's heavy to hold while it empties.  At least it gets lighter over time!

They do advise you turn on the ignition for 30 seconds after refilling but before starting the car so that it can reset the level and range.

Mine too had a range of 8,000 miles after refilling, but I went to Swansea yesterday that covered about 90 miles and it's already dropped to 7,500 mile range, compared to a range of 420 miles of fuel when I left to a range of 445 miles when I returned!  It would be interesting to hear if your range has increased?

7 minutes ago, Penpusher said:

It would be interesting to hear if your range has increased?

It hasn't. I can only guess this is because the 10 litres didn't fill the tank completely (from memory the warning said that it could take 2.5 gallons max, which is a bit more than 10 litres).  I certainly wasn't going to risk over-filling it.

Pleased this is proving to be as easy for others as it was for me. 

• 1 year later...
  • 2 months later...

When i got my MK3 the Adblue was full so only just had to fill it.  When i got the car i planned ahead and bought a Skoda (VAG) filling hose knowing that i would be filling up at some point.  As i put down the miles the 1500 miles warning came on and i was content to let it run down a little.  When it reached 800 i called into Halfords and bought 10ltrs for about £10 i think.  Next time i was home doing nothing, mileage now down to 600, i thought i would just "go and fill up".  Filling hose screwed onto car but the cap for the Adblue did not fit, it was too large, b***cks!  Went on line a bought 10 Ltrs in a VAG container for £12.  VAG container turned up, millage now down to 600, went out to the car, screwed the hose onto the car, screwed the hose onto the container and it fitted, lifted the container up and held it upside down and the Adblue started to flow, then stopped after about 20 secs.  Container down, check hoses bla bla bla, container back up, started to flow then stopped.  After about an hour of trying to get the Adblue to flow i gave up.  I had tried everything that i could think of but it will not flow.  I do around 100 miles a day so had made the call to go to local dealer to fill up as i could easily do 600 miles in a week and i didn't want the Adblue to get too low.  Pulled into dealer with the computer telling me that the max fill should be 14ltrs.  Machine clicked off at 13.8 which i thought was pretty accurate.  Ignition on, no warning bong, range reset to 7500 miles immediately, i waited 30 secs cause that's what the manual said, started up and away.  Anyone else had bother with these hoses?  I have since sat down and really looked at it.  It isn't complicated at all, but for the life of me i cannot get the Adblue to flow through it into the tank.  It will flow through when not connected but will stop working after about 20 seconds when connected.

5a8410232fcfd.jpg

I don't use one of these so have no idea if this will be the problem but do you have a vent in the Adblue bottle or the hose to allow air into the bottle to replace the fluid when it is draining out. If not it might be causing a vacuum and that will stop the flow from the bottle.

I faced the same problem with that kind of hose, when filling up the AdBlue tank on my wife’s Audi Q3 for the first time. It’s a mess!

The good thing is that I have now a gas station only 2 miles from home, where I can fill up directly with an AdBlue pump, just as for diesel. But it flows quite slow too. I need roughly 2mn30 for 10l. It costs only 5€ (half the price of an can). This is the other good news!

Note: You can also fill up AdBlue at gas stations, which are normally dedicated to trucks. You just need then a magnetic adapter to fool the pump gun. Indeed there’s a magnetic safety system on trucks to avoid mishandling. This magnetic adapter can be found on ebay and costs around 25€. A quick return on investment for you, if you drive a lot, compared to the can...

Edited by Bap33

In the 2½ years that I've owned my car, I've only need to fill up the AdBlue twice and on each occasion I've used my Skoda (VAG) filling hose without any problems.  Each time, I bought a 10 litre container from the local motor factors, waited for a dry day and stood by the car for the  5 minutes or so to empty the container and it was job done.  

There aren't any AdBlue pumps near to where I live and if I only need to fill it once a year, the saving would be very small anyway.  I should add it's been filled 3 times during my ownership as the garage topped it up when it was serviced in June last year, even though it was only half full.  I'd paid for the services in advance when I bought the car and they didn't charge any extra, so it saved me having to bother for a bit longer.  It's down to a range of 1,800 miles now and we're planning on a trip to Lithuania in April, si I'll need to fill it up again before we go.

• 2 weeks later...

Those Leasing a car from Motability get AdBlue filled up at no charge.

To get AdBlue put in at a Service others would have to request at a Dealership and pay the ridiculous price of £1.50 per litre.

Screenshot 2020-02-29 at 07.32.41.png

Edited by Roottootemblowinootsoot

2 hours ago, thelonegroover said:

Is AdBlue added as part of a standard Skoda service. Or will it be a chargeable consumable.

As mentioned in my earlier post, when I last took my car for service the AdBlue was about half full and I didn't expect it to be topped up, but it was and there was no additional charge for this.

6 minutes ago, thelonegroover said:

I’ll give it try at half time, just watching Leeds trying to beat Hull !

They can't be as bad as Leicester at bottom club Norwich last night. Think we need 3 more wins in the last 10 games for Champions League next season.

Great game and result, on the AdBlue subject, I had a remaining mileage of 2500, added 10 litres but it still says 2500 miles. How long should it take to recognise the new AdBlue. 

9 hours ago, shyVRS245 said:

Just need a light press of the start/stop button and ignition comes on without starting the engine.

...and don't touch the brake pedal (on an auto; I assume manuals have something similar?).

6 hours ago, thelonegroover said:

Great game and result, on the AdBlue subject, I had a remaining mileage of 2500, added 10 litres but it still says 2500 miles. How long should it take to recognise the new AdBlue. 

I think you need to turn on the ignition for about 30 seconds without starting the engine after filling your AdBlue and it should reset.