Haldex Oil Change

Lincol

On 25/09/2018 at 22:34, kenfowler3966 said:

I read that it has all the connections built in to give our fault warning NHL’s but they have not been connected to the cars system. Hence there are no fault lights if not working or even records of faults when checked?

The pnly way to know it is actually engaging Drive is to see the wheels working. First time I was able to confirm mine was ok was when reversing through some mud and the rear wheels spun and put mud onto the sills.

i didnt ride on mud yet but, have off road button, when i switch it on, diff is electricaly locked by haldex and i feel that, so it works :D

CroppedImage800500-buttons.jpg

3 hours ago, imart143 said:

i didnt ride on mud yet but, have off road button, when i switch it on, diff is electricaly locked by haldex and i feel that, so it works :D

Not correct. The diff is never locked.
The Handbook has a very good description of exactly what the Off Road Button does, and what systems it works with.

• Like 1

great manual.. thanks..

on this haldex, oil and filter looks like it is never been changed.. mine too is corroded, but not that much..

1 hour ago, Llanigraham said:

Not correct. The diff is never locked.
The Handbook has a very good description of exactly what the Off Road Button does, and what systems it works with.

have you part of that Handbook? i never read nothing about off road button and what is going on when is on..

The different editions of the Yeti owner's manual can be downloaded from here.  You should be able to find the description of the off-road button's functions from the Table of Contents.  In the 2012 editions of the manual it's under "Starting off and Driving", around about page 100 plus or minus a few.

• Like 1

i see but haldex pump always works when you are driving.. only works with higher pressures and with higher capacity on off road terrain.

it is off only when EDS is manually turned off.. 

when you going uphill, torque rises on rear axle, or opposite, when you driving on left, right side of wheels have hihger torque..

it is synchro drive, it always works..

6 minutes ago, Offski said:

But it does not.  Just as simple as that.

If you mean approx. 5% is not sent to rear diff, I believe not true. As I understand it, the clutch plates are lightly spring loaded to take any slack in the clutch pack to minimise fuller clutch engagement delay - resulting in some residual clutch drag. The vehicle is in "2 wd drive" by default.

3 hours ago, Tech1e said:

Its not permanent 4x4, if the Haldex clutch is open then there is no drive.

Hi Tech1e!

In 2005 you commented on this (see picture) explaining how to remove iso pins from the connector. I am able to get mine out a bit, but then they are stuck, and I think that’s because I have to remove the yellow/pinky terminal locking bar that’s on the side, but mine is pushed flush into the connector itself, so there isn’t anything to grab on to pull it out, so how do I remove that bar?

Thank you so much if you answer! I hasn’t been able to find anything else about this

AF88591E-EDD7-4F46-94BB-15D20CF4F41B.jpeg

33 minutes ago, Sijmmooon said:

Hi Tech1e!

In 2005 you commented on this (see picture) explaining how to remove iso pins from the connector. I am able to get mine out a bit, but then they are stuck, and I think that’s because I have to remove the yellow/pinky terminal locking bar that’s on the side, but mine is pushed flush into the connector itself, so there isn’t anything to grab on to pull it out, so how do I remove that bar?

Thank you so much if you answer! I hasn’t been able to find anything else about this

AF88591E-EDD7-4F46-94BB-15D20CF4F41B.jpeg

13 years ago!!?? You have to be joking??!!
And what on earth has this got to do with Yeti's??
They weren't even around then!!

i have bad uphill on the way home, bad bad ass uphil.. 35 degrees..

if i stop in the middle, i can start like a rocket, like a bullet fired from a gun, instead when i was driving front wheel car, car´s front wheels  lifted few cms up, read down and front wheels running without traction, one wheel.. to be exactly..

with yeti 4x4 or one of my friend superb 4x4, when i put my foot on accelerator pedal i am literally catapulted from rear wheels, i am sure that haldex then put load on rear axle.. no matter of difference in front or rear wheels turning.. friend have bmw 318, rear wheel drive, same feeling..

Edited by imart143

5 hours ago, Tech1e said:

Its not permanent 4x4, if the Haldex clutch is open then there is no drive.

it is same drive like in golf 4-5 synchro, 4motion.. always controlled by ecu, sensors and other. no 2wd or 4wd switch. it works automatically, and is always 4 wheels have torque. less or more, depens of driving conditions.

i studied it a year before buying 4x4.. looking for Dacia duster which have nissan 4wd and it works separately.. have 2wd 4wd and auto mode. manual switch.

haldex works always in automatic mode, like bmw x-drive..

7 minutes ago, imart143 said:

it works automatically, and is always 4 wheels have torque. less or more, depens of driving conditions.

If that's what you want to believe it's OK with us.
As you can see from the attached clip at about 50 seconds torque is only transferred when requested, most of the time zero torque transferred to rear wheels.

Edited by Urrell

but uphill rear axle gave more torwue than front..

on video like when you connect a trailer or camper. there is no difference in wheels rotating but haldex push torque on rear wheels anyway..

tryied it many times in my uphill on way home. defenitely works rear axle..

much more stuffworks with haldex 4x4 not just wheels rotating difference. it would be nothing useful.

look

he fourth generation does not have the mechanical pump any more. The clutch is activated using the feeder pump.

Haldex Generation III, IV, and V based all wheel drive systems are proactive. The electronics can pre-tension the clutch and activate all wheel drive before a wheel slip occurs.

proactive all wheel drive means that the differentials (clutches, etc.) can be locked by the ECU before wheelspin actually occurs. The need for all wheel drive is determined in real time based on the information that is collected from various sensors, such as g-force sensor, accelerator pedal position sensor, steering wheel positon sensor, and so on.

no more need to wheel slip occurs to activate haldex 3-4-5 .. better? ;-)

http://www.awdwiki.com/en/haldex/

Edited by imart143

1 hour ago, imart143 said:

it is same drive like in golf 4-5 synchro, 4motion.. always controlled by ecu, sensors and other. no 2wd or 4wd switch. it works automatically, and is always 4 wheels have torque. less or more, depens of driving conditions.

i studied it a year before buying 4x4.. looking for Dacia duster which have nissan 4wd and it works separately.. have 2wd 4wd and auto mode. manual switch.

haldex works always in automatic mode, like bmw x-drive..

Yes the Haldex is controlled by the ECU taking various readings form numerous sensors.
Yes it works automatically.
Yes it depends on driving conditions.

Other than that I do not think you understand how the Yeti's 4x4 Haldex system works.

imart143,

BMW x-drive or Mercedes 4matic on an upslope and when the rears need help the front then come in, Mercedes CLA 45 Matic is a front driver and the rear come in to assist.

Subaru's different again, that is a symmetrical system with power to front and back all the time.

sure, not to be angry, just someone said that haldex 4 pump works only if at least one wheel starts slipping, but it is not true.. it works on various situations and move torque to wheels needed it depeds of other conditions, repeating, if you go uphill, if your rear axle is loaded with, 3 people behing and load with 150 kilograms of luggage it will transfer more torque on rear wheels..

i think that is okay.. will not comment more..

today i have a time to clean rear diff, and preparing for oil and filter change.. is this ok?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Borgwarner-AWD-oil-filter-VW-GEN4-AWD-111358-and-oil-G055175A2/302318931379?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649

my work:

this two bolts on picture 4 are for 85W90 oil right?

when to change that oil? i have 200000kms and 7 years old yeti.. read somewhere that oil is not changing (filled for life) but not sure.. it is cheap, 10$ litre..

brrrrr... Castrol says every 30000km.. od 24 months.. should it be changed really? i am in doubt now..

https://applications.castrol.com/oilselector/en_gb/c/recommendation?vehicleType=cars&manufacturer=skoda&model=yeti-5l-(2009-)&modelType=yeti-2-0-tdi-(81-kw)-4x4-(2009-2012)

20180929_120119.jpg

20180929_120144.jpg

20180929_120150.jpg

20180929_120224.jpg

20180929_163729.jpg

20180929_163744.jpg

Edited by imart143