Review VRS topgear

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guy who wrote it was Matt Masterthese must be his christian names cos is surname is BaterVery similar in structure to the autoexpress road test against the Ford, ie excellent car but its a Skoda so must be cheap and cra* how they can write- quote 'But at £2,500 less than the Golf this comparison will only go so far. As a stand-alone product the vRS offers a convincing balance between refinement and performance, riding well, pulling vigorously through its six gears and stopping sharply' Why is it BUT??????? The Vrs is cheaper and as all the attributes of the Golf and its bigger, this is a bad thing???As for pulling up next to someone else and woorying about image???? must be thier image when you leave them standin the guy is a blinkered P£$"K. Rant over

Can't make that review out ? Either he likes the car or he doesn't. Seems as if he's stuck in the middle somewhere and doesn't have the journalistic skill to convey his feelings. That's the trouble with a lot of the reviews in these 'so called' top magazines, they're still littered with pompous people who can't jump off the bandwagon of what's vogue. Skoda in his eyes never was or will be.

No "single person" opinions are worth the paper they are written on. You only start to get a reasonable result by getting the opinions of a very large number of people - that's why so many so-called opinion polls are crap, you need to have several thousand responses from a very wide cross section of public to get rid of built-in bias and vested interest. Would you take J. Clarkson's sole opinion on anything?

I think he already had a perceived idea of Skodas and this car didn't meet it but he couldn't bring himself to admit it, hence the strange review.

Bearing in mind we are a forum for the Skoda loving community, it can be a bit hard to take criticism from motoring journalists when they 'knock' our marque. This I can take when criticism and evaluation has been done in an impartial and proffessional manner, however, this guy doesn't really know what he thinks and makes several conflicting statements and concludes with a mixed and confused message. He's a Jerk all the same :P .

He is right about the view out the back tho. It's terrible, other than that, I agree that he doesn't quite convey his review very well at all.

If he helps to keep them off our roads, all the better. :D

Ive seen 7 06 plate Focii ST's just around here this week. Only one new Octavia vRS. The chap in the 55 plate was mortified when I mullered him. He even parked next to me when my journey ended to ask what i'd done to it, how much did I pay for it etc. His focus is on ebay today :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

I saw this, thought it was a tad harsh, at the end of the day it conflicts with every other review I've read which in basic terms states;

"Why pay £3-4k more for a Golf GTi, when you can have a VRS ??"

At the end of the day when it comes to real people on real incomes I tend to take more notice of "What Car?" (VRS got Hatch of the Year, as we all know).

I enjoy Top Gear, get the mag and often look at the web site, but I often think think they need a bit of a reality check in that not every body who enjoys fast cars etc.. is on a 6 figure salary and can aford fully specced Golf GTI's and 911's etc....

For me a car like the Octy VRS (be it a MK 1 or MK2) is the true family mans car (by that I mean a bloke on an average salary who enjoys driving) forget all this MPV VXR type ********..... at the end of the day what made hot hatches the things they are, practicle, afordable decent sized cars which go and handle well (which the sub £20k Octy delivers), not flex 7 folding seat systems and multi storage compartments which look like Transit vans on steriods

He is right about the view out the back tho. It's terrible........................

You mean to say that youv'e bought a car and you don't like it's ar$e?. Personally I think it has a pert little botty just ripe for showing those you overtake!!:P

I really dont see the Octy as a "budget" car. Its a very real alternative to VW, Ford, Vauxhall etc offerings.

Budget is Kia, Proton, Chevrolet etc.... :finger:

Regarding the stigma with Skoda branding, I wonder what he would have said if there was no badge on the car.

View out the rear? yeah, maybe it isn't great, but that's common with many cars, so I don't see the value of the argument.

I really dont see the Octy as a "budget" car. Its a very real alternative to VW' date=' Ford, Vauxhall etc offerings.

Budget is Kia, Proton, Chevrolet etc.... :finger:[/quote']

Indeed, things have moved on a little since the mid 1990's

You mean to say that youv'e bought a car and you don't like it's ar$e?. Personally I think it has a pert little botty just ripe for showing those you overtake!!:P

Not the view "OF" the back, but "OUT" the back. You cant see f**k all.

No one will be close enough to pass anyway, so i'm not too fussed. :rofl:

Hey John, he would soon change his mind if he had a go of my legendary "350 bhp" Fabia. :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Hey John' date=' he would soon change his mind if he had a go of my legendary "350 bhp" Fabia. :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:[/quote']

I can see this will turn out to be some "Urban Legend" in the Blackpool area :rofl:

"The Tale of the 350bhp Fabia" - Myth or Reality ???????????????????????

PS - Fancy Chips and Curry Sauce and/or Mushy Peas for lunch one day next week, when you going to be around? - PM me to let me know, don't want to turn this thred into my lunchtime eating arrangements for next week

Guys Guys Guys

Why get so irate about the test, if you like the car then s0d what everyone else thinks, it really don't matter.

Question though, why is it when a real positive is reported it's great and spot on', however when it's something less that complemetary there's a load of disagreement.

I've seen this on every bike and car forum I've been on. 'We'll take and agree all the positives but disagree with all the negatives'.

It really don't matter...me personally, I buy a car/bike because I like it.

Lance

Guys Guys Guys

Why get so irate about the test' date=' if you like the car then s0d what everyone else thinks, it really don't matter.

Question though, why is it when a real positive is reported it's great and spot on', however when it's something less that complemetary there's a load of disagreement.

I've seen this on every bike and car forum I've been on. 'We'll take and agree all the positives but disagree with all the negatives'.

It really don't matter...me personally, I buy a car/bike because I like it.

Lance[/quote']

Think you need to read this thread again Lance because I don't believe anyone on this thread has criticised the fact that this guy doesn't give a particularly favourable write up, what most have stated is that the conflicting views stated in his report gives a mixed message and therefore constitutes bad motoring journalism.

I agree with your last statement though, if you like something then the opinions of others pale into insignificance.

If he had just said the view out the back was slightly hampered by the spoiler, the drivers side seat a tad cramped (driver focused if your skinny!!!), and the dual zone controls a tad on the brittle plastic side (as an aside are the heater controls same on rest of VAG?) and maybe even commented the glasses storage lidded tray on top of dash a tad flimsy., then this would have been good journalism (and would have agreed with t'wife and mine 1st assesment of the possible negatives) but this bloke is nocking in one breath wot he his praising in the next and then twittering about image??????????? I thought the Octavia mk 1 had keft the Skoda image behind let alone the mk2. Just a point reffering to the negative points ( limited view) I wonder how this guy rates any Ferrari, Lambourghini etc ?????

In the last bit he says "it's still nothing more than a fairly quick family car"

7.3 seconds to 60 and a top speed of 147mph is just fairly quick? I think as johnwg says these guys are just used to driving porsches and ferrari's!