Skoda Rapid 2019

Looks like it's going upmarket then. 

I dispute Auto Express "its' not sold well outside CZ" statement; around 200,000 RAPIDS are shifted every year, pretty much the same as the number of Fabias, and just under half of the Octavia numbers.

I expect this is the end of the Toledo then - since that has never been a hatchback style.

I like the look,always thought it needed development. Will be interesting to see the engine and gearboxes on offer. Fwd and 4wd?

Skoda Rapid - front (watermarked)

Edited by vrskeith

Cover the badge and grill and it could be one of dozen brands as the style is so featureless.   None are going to be sold with those silly oversize wheels.

Having said that, the article makes it clear that they are trying to fill a size gap between Fabia and Octavia, and new Octavia in 2020 is likely to go upmarket.

The problem I have is not so much the physical size, but what you get for your money.  You get more equipment on an SE spec Octavia than top spec Fabia, and the Rapid spec versus these makes no financial sense.

If a Brit wants a car of this size with hybrid engine get a Toyota Auris, if you want good warranty buy the Kia.  If you want something upmarket a Skoda Rapid doesn’t meet your aims.  The only thing that will work is a Golf size car with Octavia mk1 value for money (the expensive Golf options came as standard).  If cheap car is sensible choice go for a Dacia.

In my opinion, if I had to choose between this new car, current Spaceback and a Seat Arona, the new one would be distant third on looks alone.

It does feel to me like Skoda is abandoning its niches and going mainstream.  I'm not sure if that's a good thing or a bad thing.

The Yeti was a marmite car - you either loved it or hated it.  But if you loved it - and many people did - then nothing else would do.  The replacement Karoq (and Kodiaq) could literally be any brand if you covered over the badge.  Sure they probably have broader appeal, but they're competing against every other pretty much identical SUV in the market.  The Yeti was unique.

Likewise, I feel like the Rapid and Spaceback are a pretty unique proposition right now.  If you want a low-cost mid-sized family car that majors on value, what do you choose?  There's a Rapid, or a Fiat Tipo, or... what?  Making the Rapid a Focus-clone may broaden its appeal, but if they're not careful it will have nothing to single it out in a sea of identical hatchbacks.

• Like 1

Totally agree.

I saw a Kodiaq on a car park the other day and thought it was a Seat at first.

Never had a problem identifying a Yeti.

The problem nowadays may be that daring to be different can be a very costly mistake for a manufacturer.

The Citroen C4 Cactus is an example of a 'daring to be different' car but I don't see many about and I hate the look of it personally (each to their own).

Skoda seem to be slowly losing their distinctiveness where only the grille is it's identifying feature.

I wonder if VW have been interfering by telling them to conform to more mainstream designs?

Think this will be our next car at the end of 2019 to replace our 2018 Qashqai (which replaced a MY16 Spaceback SE Sport) 

Looking forward to the real photos

• 4 months later...

I read somewhere they aren't going to call it the Rapid any more when its replaced by the Golf competitor.  I wonder if it will be called the Felicia (or even Favorit)?

Edited by juan27

I love the new look! And if it lands here in the UK by Mid - 2019 i will put my name down for one. My PCP runs out then so i will have to decide to either go for another Fabia 1.0tsi :wondering: or the 1.5tsi new rapid space-back or whatever it new name is going to be.

I like the complete new design a massive improvement on the current one which in my opinion from some angles just looks like it has a massive arse.

Really its all depending on if they can get things moving fast enough for me, unlike the long delayed wait for the Fabia Facelift - orders been taken, no configurator still........:sleepy:

Edited by James777
spelling

Hello, 

From what i can figured out. There will be no new Rapid. In march 2019 the Rapid willl come to the end. 

Skoda is working to release the  new model  vision x. Which is similar to a T Roc. The pictures i belive to be about that car

The Skoda CEO said earlier in 2018, '19 new models by the end 2020'.   That will be maybe the 7 or 9 new models and drivetrain differences, Hybrid / EV / Petrol, maybe a diesel engine or 3 or maybe not for the UK, and maybe no kidology Hybrids with no range on electric only.

So as for Auto Express and their Darren Brown stuff, Factory Insiders and all that stuff, imagined vehicles / how they will look, 

Skoda / VW feed them stuff or they 'imagine' it, which is just make up stories to print every week, then never say sorry that was rubbish.

Autocar / Haymarket Media Group are the spin doctors for VW Group, after all VW are there clients for launches etc.

If there is a leak, or a news release it is Autocar getting them, others running their 'exclusives'.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Haymarket_Media_Group 

VW Fan Boys.......

Edited by Offski

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Booking in for 'Full Main Dealer Servicing' via the car would be good. 

Clear easy to understand Manufacturers Servicing and Maintenance Guidelines or Schedules information with clear information on Oil etc.

& an app to 'Briskoda' for when 'Service desk staff do not know their arse from their elbow.

• Haha 1

Also here http://www.skoda-auto.com/news/news-detail/skoda-scala more details from today - 3 petrol, 1 diesel, and 1 cng engines.

The 70-kW (95 PS) 1.0 TSI transmits its power via a manual 5-speed gearbox.

The 85-kW (115 PS) 1.0 TSI is available with a manual 6-speed gearbox as standard or with an automatic 7-speed DSG as an option.

The ŠKODA SCALA’s top-of-the-range petrol engine is the 1.5 TSI. This four-cylinder engine generates 110 kW (150 PS) and comes with a manual 6-speed gearbox as standard; a 7-speed DSG is also available as an option. All petrol engines are equipped with a particulate filter.

The four-cylinder 1.6 TDI with a power output of 85 kW (115 PS) produces 250 Nm of torque on the crankshaft; an SCR catalytic converter with AdBlue injection as well as a diesel particulate filter come as standard. It also complies with the Euro 6d-TEMP emissions standard. The efficient diesel engine is coupled with a 6-speed manual gearbox as standard, and a 7-speed DSG is available as an option.

The 1.0 G-TEC is the environmentally friendly way to drive the new ŠKODA SCALA. The three-cylinder is primarily designed to run on natural gas (CNG), which results in less CO2 and NOx emissions than conventional fuels. After the filled natural gas is used up, the engine can also run on petrol. The latest version of the CNG engine delivers 66 kW (90 PS), which is transferred exclusively by a manual 6-speed gearbox.