Soon to be VRS TDi owner

Afternoon all!

have been stalking the forums for a while now but thought it would be best to sign up and get involved seeing as I am (hopefully) soon to own a FL VRS TDi. Thoroughly looking forward to it. My last Skoda was a mk2 TDi Octavia and whilst it was a basic no thrills car, it’s still one of the best cars I’ve had to date. Hoping the new one exceeds this!

one question I have is what do you guys get as real life MPG? I always ignore the manufacturers MPG as I think they are almost impossible to meet but also some manufacturers are well off! I do about 20k a year hence wanting a mix of fun with practicality and economy. 

Im not expecting amazing economy but is 45mpg a real world figure to be looking at with mostly motorway miles?

secobd question, I see the FL VRS comes with LED headlights. As standard are these cornering lights or is that an option? 

Thanks all!

My 14 TDi DSG Estate has averaged 53 MPG since I bought it 3 and half months and 9k miles ago. All vRSes have the cornering lights, but the LED's aren't as fluid as the xenons as they are extra matrix lights rather than the swivelling projector on the Pre FL. I had an SE-L with the LED lights for a couple of days as a courtesy car and I found them very good at lighting up the very front of the car and picking out roadsigns and the like, but I do prefer the cornerning function on my Pre FL.

26 minutes ago, harni said:

Thanks for confirming. Im surprised at how high the mpg is then considering I have to drive my “eco” 1.5tdci focus like an old man to get 55mpg!

You’ll find especially when cruising at speed the larger engines have to work less hard, my 2 liter vRS is more efficient than my wife’s 1.4

Thanks all. That’s really good to hear. I almost didn’t consider a VRS because I assumed they would be awful on fuel!

hope it’s still there in a weeks time then when I am able to buy!

1 hour ago, harni said:

Thanks all. That’s really good to hear. I almost didn’t consider a VRS because I assumed they would be awful on fuel!

hope it’s still there in a weeks time then when I am able to buy!

Put a deposit down to hold it! 

4 minutes ago, dunc69 said:

Put a deposit down to hold it! 

I’m  tempted. Issue I have it I’m currently in a company car but I’ve been offered cash for cars but it’s not been confirmed yet. The garage have been really good and offered to hold the car for me until the end of April if I put a deposit down but I don’t want to do so just in case the cash for cars isn’t authorised. 

Its a difficult decision. I could do it and possibly lose a £1000 but it’s the perfect car for me!! 

Edited by harni

We discussed that in the dealership but they want £1000. If it was £250 (which I thought I could do when I saw on the advert on the Skoda approved used website you could reserve it for £250) then I’d do it and if I lost out on the money, I’d take that hit but I’m not prepared to do so with 1k

i May go back tomorrow and have a chat with the guy again. Seemed very helpful and not pressurising in the slightest which is something I experienced at Ford when I went to test drive a Mondeo on Thursday!

I would say you should be easily able to get mid-40s in the vRS even without thinking about it.

I get 52-55mpg calculated with mine which is used 90% on the highway at 120kph.

I had one run around 60mpg just after I bought it where I was had a long countryside run around 80kph

I previously drove many different Fords & found their fuel economy to be terrible especially on the 1.6L TDi.

I would get 40mpg at highway speeds where in my own car (2L TDi) I could get 55mpg from the same journey.

• Thanks 1

Sounds promising. 

The 1.5 in the new focus is miles better than the old 1.6 but still needs labouring a lot to get anywhere hence the relatively low mpg to modern day standards. I’ll be happy with anything over 40mpg as work will cover the cost of that at today’s fuel prices!

My 64 plate TDI vRS is about to hit 100k miles and now nicely run in - my 'normal' mpg is mid 40's but that more my driving (and the fact with the company fuel card they don't really bother looking what mpg i achieve) , hence i'm a little heavy footed some would say. Was a little more chilled today on a 200 mile trip and put it in Eco and it was easily doing 52-55mpg.

I think the issue is that the power is very tempting to use and also you don't really notice the speed building thus lots of varying reports on mpg.  

If you need/want to drive carefully/sensibly i'd think in the 50's should be well achieve-able on  a regular basis.

There's my old Octavia vRS for sale in the classifieds at a very good price. Extremely well spec'd too. I'm surprised it hasn't been snapped up at that price considering I paid almost 20k for it last year.

I averaged an actual 54 mpg over roughly 6,000 miles. 

I have driven 150,000 miles in Mk3 Octavia diesels, plus another 100,000 ina  mk2 vrs Diesel.

Mk2 vrs was consistently averaging 44mpg, although this improved to about 48mpg when I had the dpf removed

Mk 3 CR150 consistently 49-50mps

Mk 3 VRS184 consistently 47mpg

I do a lot of motorway miles.

VRS is largely a trim level, at least as far as the diesel is concerned, there's little difference in economy or performance between the 2 litre diesel engines across the range

Edited by carrock
spelling

I think the main difference between the 150 & 184 vRS is the pedal mapping.

For me the pedal is too aggressive on the vRS making it quite an art to accelerate gently without gunning it at every opprtunity.

I should have paid the extra for the vRS mode button on mine to be able to use the eco mode for daily use & a have a more linear pedal response, with the sport mode available once in a while when needed.

Edited by Gabbo

Really? Even after changing the coding I find the pedal on mine is far too mushy. I don't know how it is when you don't have the mode switcher. We get that as standard in the UK, but I find even with the engine set in Sport it just doesn't have the get up and go that a 181 bhp car should have. A remap is certainly on the cards for me, as I honestly feel the 150 TDi is just as nice to drive. The vRS handles better and the clever XDS diff and independent rear suspension are worth the upgrade, but the engine is still a bit flat.

The problem with mine is that after almost minimal pedal input your are at full load in some gears.

Press further & theres no extra power.

After 4 years I am used to the way to modulate the pedal to give a slow or steady acceleration without going all out but I would prefer if the pedal was longer so I had better control over the torque delivery.

(I'm sure this would also help many of the other drivers who complain that they cant get more than 40mpg from the vRS because the engine is easily capable of 50-60mpg in the right conditions).

I didnt buy the vRS for performance (mpg is actually my main interest) but the 1.6 with additional options was pretty much the same price (without the vRS styling) so I'm perhaps not your typical vRS owner.

Edited by Gabbo

Have had my 184 VRS for 3 years and my average mpg is 46. Most of my driving is dual carriageway or mway and yes I do have a heavy foot :D, but I don’t race like an idiot or fly off from traffic lights trying to beat Corsas.   If I ease off and stick to the 70mph limit then I get 50.  The slower the better but have never had more than 52mpg in a full tank.  But then again you don’t tend to buy a vrs to drive like a snail.  

Ps: I don’t use eco mode.  

Edited by Reddazforever
  • Like 2

38 minutes ago, Gabbo said:

I didnt buy the vRS for performance (mpg is actually my main interest) but the 1.6 with additional options was pretty much the same price (without the vRS styling) so I'm perhaps not your typical vRS owner.

I can see that by your Fuelly signature. 

for anyone going by the maxidot for MPG, its nowhere near accurate you need the fuelly app or similar. My maxidot is reading 50+ mpg so its at least 10%+ out.

Edited by JohnnyType2

14 hours ago, Reddazforever said:

Have had my 184 VRS for 3 years and my average mpg is 46. Most of my driving is dual carriageway or mway and yes I do have a heavy foot :D, but I don’t race like an idiot or fly off from traffic lights trying to beat Corsas.   If I ease off and stick to the 70mph limit then I get 50.  The slower the better but have never had more than 52mpg in a full tank.  But then again you don’t tend to buy a vrs to drive like a snail.  

Ps: I don’t use eco mode.  

This pretty much sums up my driving experience of the same vehicle (DSG) TDI VRS.  the maxi dot reads 45 mpg long term average and thats driving keenly, but not like a moron.  Mostly motorway miles at 79-88 mph.  It does increase if I drive around 50mph when roadworks on motorway are prevalent. 

Edited by dpt8000