bought fab mk2 estate, now im worried.

hi all, new to the forum.   

Ive bought an 11 plate vRS estate and pick it up saturday.   I was rather excited to say the least until i joined this wondeful group haha.   Thread after thread of engine failures, oil consumption issues and no help from skoda have now filled me with dread lol. 

the car is a clean example with 49k miles and regular full dealer service history which i intend to carry on. 

Just wondering what the failure rate actually is on the original 1.4 tsi motors and am I right to be worried?  Is failure a certainty or can it be kept at bay with regular oil top ups etc?   

No doubt George will be along in a bit. The stuff he doesn’t know about twinchargers isn’t worth knowing. 

FWIW, we bought a 61 plate CAVE vrs estate in 2015 as the wife’s daily driver. Put ~20000 miles on it since. 

I get the plugs changed every year, probably overkill, not bothered about the cost. It uses a bit of oil, never actually measured how much but there’s a bottle in the boot just in case. Seems to use less since switching to 10w40. YMMV. I’ve seen a misfire once in three years and that was in the first week of owning it. Never seen one since and I don’t drive it softly. 

That aside, it never fails to make me smile. Only yesterday, traffic light Grand Prix... the look on the face of the guy driving a Range Rover Sport. Let’s just say I ruined his day twice. 

Twinchargers are a lottery. I like to think more good than bad. Just do some reading on here on what to look out for. And then just enjoy it.

• Like 1

People virtually never sign up to a forum to say how pleased they are with their purchase.

The only advice I can offer is to:

• make sure that you obtain a one year Skoda warranty
  • check the oil (when it has had plenty of time to "settle") with the car on a flat surface
  • don't thrash your car until the engine oil has warmed to at least 80 degrees Centigrade
  • continue to get your car serviced annually
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

ive looked at a few more threads that have settled my nerves somewhat lol.   like you say,   i think the tripadvisor effect has played a big part of the negative reviews on here. it was sold with a third party 12 month warranty with cover for a grand for work per claim and £60 per hour that covers all parts barring consumables.   i do intend to keep to the service schedule just to keep value on it if nothing else. 

@richgoga how much roughly do you pay to get plugs changed if you dont mind me asking? 

Welcome to the forum.

No Tripadvisor effect.

Of the 1,800 Fabia Mk2 vRS CAVE engine cars in the UK less than 600 are Estates. 

(of the under 3,000 CAVE & CTHE around 800 are Estates.)

The engines replaced in those are above 20% as with the hatches.

So best take nothing for granted on past history, warranty work, engines replaced or Service Campaigns, Breather Mod updates, Software Updates or New Oil Spray jets.

Ask Skoda UK Customer Services what they know on the System about the car and anything they paid for.

Do fixed Servicing, use 5w 30 Full Synthetic VW 504 00,  use Super Unleaded, have good Spark Plugs in.

See if the Service Campaign '34F7' was done on the DSG.

Then the service campaign on heated seats if needs doing.

http://master.skoda-auto.com/mini-apps/recall-actions 

http://skoda.co.uk/about-us/contact-us 

Do not let those that know nothing about them work on it, even to change the spark plugs.

Supplied & fitted they should not be more than £100,  the Plugs are under £50.

Enjoy the car, loads of smiles per miles.

Edited by AwaoffSki
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, AwaoffSki said:

Welcome to the forum.

No Tripadvisor effect.

Of the 1,800 Fabia Mk2 vRS in the UK less than 600 are Estates. 

The engines replaced in those are above 20% as with the hatches.

So best take nothing for granted on past history, warranty work, engines replaced or Service Campaigns, Breather Mod updates, Software Updates or New Oil Spray jets.

Ask Skoda UK Customer Services what they know on the System about the car and anything they paid for.

Do fixed Servicing, use 5w 30 Full Synthetic VW 504 00,  use Super Unleaded, have good Spark Plugs in.

See if the Service Campaign '34F7' was done on the DSG.

Then the service campaign on heated seats if needs doing.

http://master.skoda-auto.com/mini-apps/recall-actions 

http://skoda.co.uk/about-us/contact-us 

Do not let those that know nothing about them work on it, even to change the spark plugs.

Supplied & fitted they should not be more than £100,  the Plugs are under £50.

Enjoy the car, loads of smiles per miles.

Why are you recommending 5w30 504 00 ?

• Thanks 1

Typo.  Sorry on a phone. Was going to say do fixed servicing and use....

so use  5w 40 FS to VW502 00,  and not Long Life 5w30 FS LL to VW504 00.

EDIT, still getting my 502 & 504 wrong.   BASICALLY DO NOT USE LONG LIFE OIL in a TWINCHARGER.  & CASTROL is crap.

Edited by AwaoffSki
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, AwaoffSki said:

Typo.  Sorry on a phone. Was going to say do fixed servicing and use....

so use  5w 40 FS to VW502 00,  and not Long Life 5w30 FS LL to VW504 00.

EDIT, still getting my 502 & 504 wrong.   BASICALLY DO NOT USE LONG LIFE OIL in a TWINCHARGER.  & CASTROL is crap.

Whats wrong with Castrol oil? Its what I use but because my dad gets 20% off from his company.

Kills twinchargers, or a major contributor to their premature demise, VW recommend Castrol / Quantum long life oils. That is VW that never admit to the failure rate of the 1.4TSI /TFSI 132-136kW engines.

Nothing wrong with it in other engines without Fundamental Design, Manufacturing, Material and Sorftware failings,  and consumables recommended by the manufacturer that are questionable, like the Oil & Spark plugs they used, the servicing schedules as well.

• Like 2

Change the oil / filter every 9,400 (10,000) miles or sooner.

Do not leave the Spark Plugs un-checked for 40,000 miles, same with the Air Filter.

Pollen / Cabin filters are supposedly a 2 yearly replace item, check it, clean / vacuum it, or change as needed. Climate / Wet / Smelly being the important thing, 

ie location location location.

The fitted for life Fuel fitter is not even a dogs life item, so maybe have that changed, 

the Brake Fluid is at 3 years and every 2 years for a change, so change sometime obviously or at least use a Tester for the H2o Content.

A Water Pump might need replaced at 6 years or sooner, but when you start noticing a coolant leak, or the other symptoms.

Just the usual servicing stuff that cars need really.

Edited by AwaoffSki
  • Like 2

Hi and welcome to the forum.

You will have probably spotted a few posts from me on here as we have had to have engine changed 3 and a half years ago, and just this past 8 weeks or so have also had to have the mechatronic unit and clutch packs replaced at a huge cost.

DO NOT LET THIS PUT YOU OFF.

They are brilliant little cars, very practical but still capable of bringing smiles per mile. Decent fuel economy unless you possess lead in your boots, reasonable road tax fee and easy enough to insure due to being a 1.4.

The key is to do your research on the vehicle. Check for a first class service history and for any known involvement with Skoda UK in terms of having had engine work done (if it's had an engine change don't fret as ours hasn't used a drop of oil in 40,000 miles since being changed) and check for any work on the transmission, there should be stickers in the floor of the boot to advise of service action as highlighted by George if they have done the gearbox oil, and there should be a note in service schedule if they have done anything with the engine.

Keep an eye on the oil levels. Always check cold on a level surface, get into the habit of doing it once a week until you know you can trust your findings. Keep an eye out for spark plugs needing changed, do not listen to the retailer network advising every 40,000 miles. It's your money you're investing so protect it by being pro maintenance rather than waiting.

Personally I wouldn't rush down the modifications route until I knew I had a good one, non oil user that is. And even then, doing so is a risk. In standard form most made more than the stated 180ps, and they are plenty quick enough to bring a smile and lose a license if you're not careful.

Above all else, enjoy the wee car. If I can still say that after our recent experiences then it's testament to how the wee car has suited us since we took ownership. Best of luck and don't be afraid to ask questions.

Oh and before I forget, the sidelights don't actually come on so don't worry about that. The DRL's do, and although the sidelights are wired etc they do not work. They're all the same.

Edited by Sittingbull
  • Like 3

lol,   bet the sidelight issue comes up a lot come MOT time.   i definitely spotted two stickers in the boot when i went to look at the car so hopefully some issues have been sorted prior to me getting it.   i think i remember seeing dsg oil change at around 30k in the service history..  I'll know better come sat when i pick it up.   

performance mods are last thing on my mind at this point in time.   wouldnt mind giving it a cheeky lower at some point mind haha...  

like most have said im totally prepared to give it regular services, change filters etc,  which would be a first for me lol.    closest my last car got to an oil change in the last two years was realising id been redlining it without any in it.      time to grow up a bit it would appear haha.   

• Like 2

1 hour ago, SeaGoat said:

The road surfaces (lack of craters) in Scotland must be much better than in the rest of the UK if you can get away with lowering your vRS by 4 cms! ;)

There awful up here too mate however it’s just a game of spot them before they wreck you.

Adding the maxton front splitter on Saturday that will drop the from another few millimetres , Wonder how long it’ll last.

Edited by Mickmartin
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, jakecharnock said:

Might as well have kept cobbles up here.   They do spray paint round them all at least so they're not all bad. 

Good little town, Accrington - paid it a few visits (football related).

I hope all is good with the car as they are great fun - think the estate is better proportioned (and I had a hatch).

19 hours ago, Brian69 said:

I hope all is good with the car as they are great fun - think the estate is better proportioned (and I had a 

19 hours ago, Brian69 said:

I hope all is good with the car as they are great fun - think the estate is better proportioned (and I had a hatch).

god i hate it lol.   Mrs is from Accy so that's what happened there.   Blackburn originally, miles better, roads are no better mind.   cheers, we'll know tomorrow. 

• Like 1

On 09/04/2018 at 16:02, SeaGoat said:

People virtually never sign up to a forum to say how pleased they are with their purchase.

We have been pretty lucky with car purchases over the years, the last one we bought that caused us grief was a Mondeo, mechanically perfect but it was one of a batch that had defective seam sealant in the doors that instead of preventing rust issues actually caused them. We had it 3 years before we got fed up with it, during that time Ford repaired and repainted the doors 5 time FOC under warranty. It would have been cheaper for them to replace the doors once but manufacturers don't do that.

Returning to the quote above saying you are pleased on a forum can cause issues. We have a Superb 3 which we are more than happy with but only last week I was called a "fanboy" on here because I posted positive facts.

When the wife bought a new Nissan Note 3 years ago we joined the forum and after a few weeks said how happy we were with the choice. We were banned, the moderator said that saying we were happy could upset some of the members that had issues. 3 years on we have had a couple of issues both fixed FOC by the dealer and we are still happy (but its being replaced when the Fabia 3 arrives next month). Suppose I could rejoin and tell them but why bother, if the moderators take that attitude the forum deserves to die.

There are 'Positive threads' on Happy Mk2 vRS Owners, ones that have had bought 2nd cars etc.  Love their cars.

But there is no point whitewashing the over 20% failure rate of the CAVE engines built 2009-2012 before discontinued and replaced with thew CTHE & some of them with issues, different issues.

Same with the Twinchargers in the SEAT's, VW's & Audi's, so forewarned is forearmed.

http://briskoda.net/forums/topic/345222-positive-vrs-thread-no-off-topic 

http://briskoda.net/forums/topic/394621-skoda-fabia-mk2-vrs-positive-thread-part-2-part-1-was-locked 

Plenty lovers on this forum over the past 8 years. 

8th Birthday of the Mk2 vRS is coming up just about now, someone should maybe arrange another gathering., 

Edited by Offski

1 hour ago, Offski said:

There are 'Positive threads' on Happy Mk2 vRS Owners, ones that have had bought 2nd cars etc.  Love their cars.

But there is no point whitewashing the over 20% failure rate of the CAVE engines built 2009-2012 before discontinued and replaced with thew CTHE & some of them with issues, different issues.

Same with the Twinchargers in the SEAT's, VW's & Audi's, so forewarned is forearmed.

http://briskoda.net/forums/topic/345222-positive-vrs-thread-no-off-topic 

http://briskoda.net/forums/topic/394621-skoda-fabia-mk2-vrs-positive-thread-part-2-part-1-was-locked 

Plenty lovers on this forum over the past 8 years. 

8th Birthday of the Mk2 vRS is coming up just about now, someone should maybe arrange another gathering., 

Cant believe this was 3 years ago I’m more than certain that there’s probably only me to keep the vRS from that meet. 

• Like 2