Both front electric windows stopped working

19 hours ago, Wino said:

What year was your Fabia built @tbuccetti?

There are two different types of window motor modules, the changeover was sometime between July and October 2004 I believe, They aren't interchangeable due to different connector arrangements, and different communications, CAN-based on earlier cars with modules having part numbers starting 6Q, LIN-based on the later cars with modules of part number 6Y...

Ours is December 2007 Fabia...but I repeat, I dont think it has anything to do with motors etc...at least not in our case and I'm no mechanic or electrician. In our case it seems to be the keys to unlock the windows ( pun intended) 

• Thanks 1

Then I suggest checking fuse 11, its contacts for dirtiness/looseness in fusebox and ideally that it is supplying 12V to pin 2 of the 6-way at the master module when ignition is on. And check the contacts of that 6-way plug/socket for dirt/corrosion too.  

31 minutes ago, Wino said:

Then I suggest checking fuse 11, its contacts for dirtiness/looseness in fusebox and ideally that it is supplying 12V to pin 2 of the 6-way at the master module when ignition is on. And check the contacts of that 6-way plug/socket for dirt/corrosion too.  

I was about to say this is a moot point as I did the locking / unlocking thing with the keys and the windows came to life....today however, they're not working again. Car has a mind of its own. 

Try unlocking the door with the key. If the windows work, time how long they work for. This means sliding up and down continuously BUT I’d suggest you start this at 8 minutes. Use a stop watch carefully. 
I would have said exactly what you said until I discovered this 10 minute threshold. 
If you can see a 10 min threshold then your windows are working in basic mode - see handbook for its definition. 

• 1 month later...

Late to this. I have a Fabia 2005, 1.2L, which I bought for not much but love and want to keep going. Both my front windows stopped working after Storm Eunice (suspected wind and rain as a cause). This thread has been v helpful. It's a case of taking relevant info and not going down too many blind alleys. 

I bought a new multimeter to test continuity throughout and this stopped at the driver side motor which I replaced for £20 (scrap) - sent the yard pics of the part and number so I would get the right part. Worked immediately. I even opened up the clips (green pen/paint on these), removed and tested then dried the microcircuit control unit within (it was dry). 

Am going to get some clip pliers as I've had the door panel off so many times....

IMG_3995.JPG

• Like 1

@DocClogs Good post.

And well done with making the background less distracting and more contrast with the subject of the photo, though perhaps you shouldn't have used your Xmas card post list.

• Haha 2

Same issue with my Mk2. Both windows suddenly stopped working and drivers door would only ever open or lock with the key (although the later has been the case for years) IMG_20220316_155057.thumb.jpg.7285cc6f92965e51df313e9f61acd95a.jpg

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

Hello, I just signed up to this site to reply to this thread, it’s been very helpful, to an issue that I had with a friends 2005 FABIA.

i did a work around in the end, which basically breaks the power feed from the window motor fuse and toggles the power to the drivers window motor, which got the windows working for my friend, by using an added on/off switch, mounted under the double window switch, on the drivers door, it’s a bodge but it might get someone out of trouble and save a lot of money on parts and Labour, just cut the thick red/white stripe wire, and splice the switch in, start the car, with the switch in the on position, then switch the switch off, count about 5 seconds, then switch back to the on position, then the windows should start working, this is how I did a work around for my friend.
I’m a mechanic by trade but electrics, I struggle with the Temic modules differ, from passenger side to drivers, with some added resistors but are physically the same but do work when swapped, finding the pattern and combinations of procedure, when the windows started and stopped working, was the biggest issue.

Anyway, this ‘fix’ might help someone. 
Dave. 

feem_3eab9472416dd4c9_IMG_20240102_114030.jpeg

feem_3eab9472416dd4c9_IMG_20240102_114038.jpeg

• Like 1