Zengt12

1 hour ago, Luckypants said:

Correct. I spent a few hours looking in the manual for that :-)

Thanks guys. I only spent an hour looking - not long enough!

17 hours ago, The Zee said:

I know that this is an emotive subject but wonder, am I the only person who does not care two hoots about fuel consumption?

I can easily work out if tank to tank is somewhere near the published figures, from then on I am not bothered.

I buy cars because I enjoy driving them. If I had to worry about fuel consumption, I would never drive, or is this just new car inquisitiveness to see if the real driving figures come somewhere near the published figures, then to be forgotten about.

You say you don't care two hoots, but I think you do care at least one hoot because you went to a little effort to confirm yours is somewhere near the published figures.

I suspect if it did not meet expectations then you may take some effort to investigate.

I also enjoy driving, and I also get satisfaction from driving economically in traffic and achieving around 30% better consumption than say my wife does in the same car/journey. I'm not a slow driver, my acceleration rate is often limited by the car in front, I drive at whatever speed limit applies and I try to attain as high an average speed as possible. Any savings are achieved by anticipation, traffic awareness and avoiding unnecessary braking. I enjoy doing that, I accept most could not be bothered.

Many good drivers achieve excellent economy naturally by those means and you may well be one  of those. It is not something that comes naturally to me, I'm not that good a driver, but I'm working on it.

The VW group of tsi engines offering 150hp/250Nm offer an excellent  'goldilocks' performance/consumption compromise for many people.

Edited by Gerrycan

Hi Gerrycan,

You are right of course, I care one hoot but only at the outset, just to make sure it is roughly in line and there are no serious issues, after that I just drive and enjoy whenever possible.

I was more than happy with my mpg, long journey with speeds between 40-80.

Car has covered 1300 miles, roughly....

20180518_110453.jpg

Edited by Nicky_P

I always found with all my three Yeti that the displayed  MPG was 10%+ over estimated against my own tank to tank measurements.

Well since I ran the engine in my MPG has dropped, must be because I can open it up more ;)

Best I've managed so far on the motorway with the ACC set to 75mph is around 43mpg ! Average at the moment on the one hour commute to work (average speed of 19mph) is around 32mpg

3 hours ago, Panther_uk said:

Well since I ran the engine in my MPG has dropped, must be because I can open it up more ;)

Best I've managed so far on the motorway with the ACC set to 75mph is around 43mpg ! Average at the moment on the one hour commute to work (average speed of 19mph) is around 32mpg

That commute sounds painful, just had awful one hour commute at 26mph average and managed 47.9MPG thanks to the stop/start working well in the jams and Aircon on the whole time.B)

13 hours ago, shyVRS245 said:

That commute sounds painful.

Every day, same to work, same back.

Here's todays.

MPG-small.jpg.5206cb7328af72a611855cdd0a09e55d.jpg

Must admit some days it's pretty soul destroying, and 30mpg doesn't help either !!

I am averaging 33mpg after 1100 miles within my 1.5 DSG.

90% of my journeys are around town - often stuck in traffic. For comparison my Octavia VRS TSI averages 28mpg doing very similar runs. This makes the 1.5 TSI approx 15-20% more efficent than the 2.0 TSI.

I'm driving to Snowdonia on Thursday, a 450 mile round trip.

Does eco mode actually make a difference?

I've only ever used it once.

Maybe I can reach the magical 50 mpg!

I wish I could get the sort of MPG some of you guys are getting. I managed 45 MPG on a 160 mile run, but for normal everyday use I am getting somewhere in the mid 30s. I do use the eco setting and ACC, but perhaps I am a bit more lead footed than some of you. That said, I expected to get poorer MPG than I got with the 2 litre diesel on my old Superb, but the 1.5 TSI DSG on my Edition is a lot more responsive. All in all I just love driving the car and that is what counts for me in the end.

• Like 1

On 26/05/2018 at 08:50, Tenchfisher said:

I wish I could get the sort of MPG some of you guys are getting. I managed 45 MPG on a 160 mile run, but for normal everyday use I am getting somewhere in the mid 30s. I do use the eco setting and ACC, but perhaps I am a bit more lead footed than some of you. That said, I expected to get poorer MPG than I got with the 2 litre diesel on my old Superb, but the 1.5 TSI DSG on my Edition is a lot more responsive. All in all I just love driving the car and that is what counts for me in the end.

Don't worry. Anecdotal short term mpg is not that relevant. Mpg over 5k or 10k is more indicative.

On ‎26‎/‎05‎/‎2018 at 17:20, Tenchfisher said:

I managed 45 MPG on a 160 mile run, but for normal everyday use I am getting somewhere in the mid 30s. I do use the eco setting and ACC, but perhaps I am a bit more lead footed than some of you.

Unless you experienced a lot of stop/start traffic on your longer journey the consumption return is pretty poor.

As you enjoy driving your car you may find you get better returns and a better driving experience in Normal Mode rather than 'eco' 

Eco mode probably works very well for the NEDC cycle but for everyday driving I think that Normal mode may suit you better especially coming from a diesel.

Worth a try anyway.

Edited by Gerrycan

4 hours ago, Gerrycan said:

Unless you experienced a lot of stop/start traffic on your longer journey the consumption return is pretty poor.

As you enjoy driving your car you may find you get better returns and a better driving experience in Normal Mode rather than 'eco' 

Eco mode probably works very well for the NEDC cycle but for everyday driving I think that Normal mode may suit you better especially coming from a diesel.

Worth a try anyway.

I may test this out and see if there is a difference! Thanks ;)

I found ECO mode in my 2.0TDi Octy, made the throttle alot less responsive when pulling away, great for when there was snow on the ground but for everyday use it felt like I was driving like me Nan !! Sport mode I used to find frustrating for everyday use as it justed wanted to rev and rev before changing up and became damn annoying after a while, so I found it was left in Normal mode for the vast majority of the time.

My Karoq doesn't have the Mode selection and to be honest I haven't really missed it.

At the weekend I returned from a trip to Italy, covered over 1600 miles with going and return trips broken with an overnight stop in France.  Have a 1.5 Edition., and filled up with super unleaded each time.  Overall cost for fuel was around £450 and it wasn't any cheaper than the UK this time. 

I'm really dissapointed with the MPG the Connect app is giving me.  The highest I had was 37.9 (mostly with a lower speed in the alps and Italy), but overall it's been below 35mpg.  

I had cruise control on, set at slightly over 80mph most of the way using motorways which were completely clear.  Drive mode was normal, car loaded with full boot and 2 kids plus my wife. 

I guess the car performs better at 70mph or maybe the cruise control wasn't that efficient. 

Also getting around 27mph with the daily school run. 

Screenshot_20180604-210509_Škoda Connect.jpg

Edited by Englando

As soon as you venture over 70mph the consumption takes quite a hit but given the choice I would prefer the higher speed as the 2.0 tdi loves it. I have an 8 mile commute to work with 12 sets of traffic lights and another 6 zebra crossings depending on the run I can average around 35mpg one day and 50mpg the next.

Edited by Vectis
bad spelling!

On ‎5‎/‎06‎/‎2018 at 05:47, Englando said:

At the weekend I returned from a trip to Italy, covered over 1600 miles with going and return trips broken with an overnight stop in France.  Have a 1.5 Edition., and filled up with super unleaded each time.  Overall cost for fuel was around £450 and it wasn't any cheaper than the UK this time. 

I'm really dissapointed with the MPG the Connect app is giving me.  The highest I had was 37.9 (mostly with a lower speed in the alps and Italy), but overall it's been below 35mpg.  

I had cruise control on, set at slightly over 80mph most of the way using motorways which were completely clear.  Drive mode was normal, car loaded with full boot and 2 kids plus my wife. 

I guess the car performs better at 70mph or maybe the cruise control wasn't that efficient. 

Also getting around 27mph with the daily school run. 

Screenshot_20180604-210509_Škoda Connect.jpg

Probably would have expected at least low 40's for your described trip.

If you still have the receipts check your real consumption to see if the app is accurate. Looks to me as though it might be quoting US mpg and not Imperial mpg?

Cruise control usually gets better consumption than an average driver, especially on flattish terrain, hills compromise returns a bit especially relative to an 'expert' trying for economy returns.

Edited by Gerrycan