Wireless Charging

OldKaroq

11 minutes ago, MarcusKaroq said:

Just take it higher up the chain would be angry if my dealer done this tbh.

I'll be fuming if my dealer does that to me!

I've replied on the Edition thread - but basically, it would be £550 incl. VAT to add the phonebox/wireless charger to an SEL, so who do they think they are just knocking £280 off?! :angry:

3 hours ago, monkey153 said:

Just spoke to my dealer and he says wireless charging function will work but signal booster wont.

I'll be checking before I drive off the forecourt...

Wireless charging not working -presumably removed- from my SE L, not sure about the Edition.

Just curious - has anyone who already had their Karoq/Kodiaq before this signal booster saga began been asked to return it for butchering, either directly from Skoda UK or their supplying dealer?

1 hour ago, westie38 said:

Just curious - has anyone who already had their Karoq/Kodiaq before this signal booster saga began been asked to return it for butchering, either directly from Skoda UK or their supplying dealer?

No. 

Wireless charging works on my Edition, collected 21 April, using an iPhone 7Plus.   (phone has a Qi certified case attached before anyone says the 7Plus doesn't have wireless charging haha. 

2 hours ago, westie38 said:

I received my Edition prior to this issue arising and I haven't been asked to take it back in to the garage. I would have thought there would have to be an official recall though.  But I'm not loosing the functionality I paid for so I won't be going voluntarily. 

If it is any help I collected my Edition today and the charger works.  The dealer wasn't sure what had happened/will happen with the mobile booster and said he will let me know.  The covered area with the charger pad and USB was as expected and not changed in any way.  So far only drove 20 miles home but it was a very smooth drive!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Macdemon said:

Wireless charging works on my Edition, collected 21 April, using an iPhone 7Plus.   (phone has a Qi certified case attached before anyone says the 7Plus doesn't have wireless charging haha. 

Do you need a case to charge?

With the 7Plus and older models yes, and it has to be a QI certified case too not just any case.

The iPhone X is capable of wireless charging but I/m unsure about the iPhone 8.

Edited by Macdemon

For non-Edition  Karoq owners!!

I have sourced this lead from Ebay. Took about 2 weeks to arrive. £2.49 with free postage.

The tray lid slides shut with the lead in place, so the phone can be charged in the cubby thing. 

The only advantage over wireless is the speed of charging. Also Edition owners could charge 2 phones at once.

http://Short 27cm Right Angle USB A to Left Angle Micro B USB Data Charging Cable Cord

lead.thumb.jpg.b333bd51b06f0b97377e24e5253cbb60.jpg

Edited by OldKaroq
typo

2 hours ago, OldKaroq said:

For non-Edition  Karoq owners!!

I have sourced this lead from Ebay. Took about 2 weeks to arrive. £2.49 with free postage.

The tray lid slides shut with the lead in place, so the phone can be charged in the cubby thing. 

The only advantage over wireless is the speed of charging. Also Edition owners could charge 2 phones at once.

http://Short 27cm Right Angle USB A to Left Angle Micro B USB Data Charging Cable Cord

lead.thumb.jpg.b333bd51b06f0b97377e24e5253cbb60.jpg

Could this be used on the series 3 Superb too? 

Cant get link to work though 

Hi Kevin

Im not sure  , Im not familiar with the Superb.

Sorry the link isn't working Im not very good with computers. You could copy and paste the description into the search bar of Ebay maybe.

Just a quick qualifier - if you have a bigger phone (like my Pixel 2 XL) the short leads all seem to be thicker and stiffer and it can be a tad ackward to get to the phone's power socket and lay the phone down in the tray. I tried a few in the 20/25cm lengths, but ended up re-using my Yeti right angle adaptor at the car USB end and a longer lead, looped for tidiness. I've enough to play with to connect the phone, lay it in the tray, and close the lid.

I'm just saying, a certain amount of experimentation might be required.

• 2 months later...

HI all, this topic has not be been aired for time...here is my experience. I first ordered an Edition back in March based on the February catalogue...which included the wireless charging/antenna booster as standard.

The car was built in build week 21 and arrived in the UK on 31 May. On collection from the dealer I was told that the phone charging/antenna booster had been disconnected according to Skoda's instructions.

There were further discussions around Skoda UK's dealer bulletin stating that the charging should still work, and that only the antenna booster was affected. The dealer then told me that neither the charger not the booster had been installed in my car. I accepted this...it is what is is...and Skoda have the right to change the spec of the car as they see fit. But as the price of the car has not changed since first order, Skoda have taken money from me for goods/services not supplied, and this is not ok.

I asked my dealer and Skoda UK about recovering the cost, and after some time their collective answer can be summarised as 'hard luck'. When I pushed it, they agreed to offer me a  derisory 'good faith' amount of just £100.00 to be spent within the Skoda network. This stacks against the listed option price (in the February price list) of £550.00 incl vat. I wonder what the delaer would have said had I ordered an SE or SEL and demanded the option for nothing or £100.00? They would certainly have been able to place a more realistic value on it then.

Needless to say, I will not let this go and will pursue it through channels outside Skoda.

I collected my Edition on May 29th but, prior to this, the dealer phoned to say the PhoneBox (wireless charger and signal booster) feature would not be installed so he said Skoda are offering me a refund of £280 which I accepted.

Edited by FabFabFabia

On 13 May 2018 at 09:06, Cd1yat said:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B077J3TCRR/ref=ya_aw_od_pi?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Try this one, mine came in 3-4 days. Hope the link works. Just make sure to change the type if you don't need usbC

A review of this on Amazon says this cable doesn't support Android Auto - does yours?

Could I get one of these and leave it in the USB socket all the time so that I can close the lid whenever I'm charging the phone or using the iPod? I presume I need the "Right" angle one?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/HOT-USB-3-0-A-Male-to-Female-Extension-Cable-90-Degree-Right-Angle-Adapter-Plug/142781984455

1 hour ago, FabFabFabia said:

I collected my Edition on May 29th but, prior to this, the dealer phoned to say the PhoneBox (wireless charger and signal booster) feature would not be installed so he said Skoda are offering me a refund of £280 which I accepted.

Thank you, that gives me a target to aim for. Appreciate your response.

1 hour ago, FabFabFabia said:

A review of this on Amazon says this cable doesn't support Android Auto - does yours?

Absolutely no problems at all with mine with both an S7 and a P20 Pro. 

2 hours ago, FabFabFabia said:

Could I get one of these and leave it in the USB socket all the time so that I can close the lid whenever I'm charging the phone or using the iPod? I presume I need the "Right" angle one?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/HOT-USB-3-0-A-Male-to-Female-Extension-Cable-90-Degree-Right-Angle-Adapter-Plug/142781984455

I used one in our last Yeti and now in the Karoq, no problem. Pixel 2 XL and S8. If you look at the car, the USB locator bar is at the top, so you need the right angled adaptor to throw the cable to the right. Thereafter, if your phone(s) are on USB C, it doesn't matter what the cable orientation is. If the phone(s) use micro USB or some other "one way only" connector, the cable may need a twist along its length.

In my experience, the main issue in the Karoq is with twisting the cables to get everything in. Some are better than others at it. Ideally i'd want one about 7cms terminating in a right angle USB C, but they don't exist.

PhoneBox.thumb.jpg.5bbe9d9a71e41cf9076c7e6086bbc0fc.jpg

20180614_210417.jpg

• Like 1