Is Kia the new Skoda?

dunc69

The Audi S1 was priced at the price because Audi were not caring about how many they sold they were into Homologation with them for Motorsport as there were no 'on general sale' Polo, Ibiza or Fabia AWD vehicles other than the very limited also for Hoologation specials.

The S1 was totally practical for anyone wanting a fun car with some go & not needing a Taxi / Airport / Sales Rep sized Hatch or Estate with near no sportyness in performance or handling and a GTI, GTD, vRS badge on it  or worse a or Sportline badge but not a 280ps engine..

1 minute ago, Offski said:

The Audi S1 was priced at the price because Audi were not caring about how many they sold they were into Homologation with them for Motorsport as there were no 'on general sale' Polo, Ibiza or Fabia AWD vehicles other than the very limited also for Hoologation specials.

The S1 was totally practical for anyone wanting a fun car with some go & not needing a Taxi / Airport / Sales Rep sized Hatch or Estate with near no sportyness in performance or handling and a GTI, GTD, vRS badge on it  or worse a or Sportline badge but not a 280ps engine..

You've never been on holiday with SWMBO because an S1 can't transport the required 4 LARGE suitcases weighing 23kgs each on our bi-annual trip to Kenya with clothing/gifts for her relatives, hence my current liking for the MK3 Octavia hatch and it's 590 litre cavern!:D

Do you not notice how many on here that have 2nd, 3rd or 4th cars & some might be hot hatches, or performance cars & that are not Young or Single or not single as they start on the journey to old age but might be along the line?

Fast Kia, Hyundia, and other non German vehicles are appealing to more and more, but there are those not young anymore that will like their Porsche or VW's, and might just get a N130.

What says you vrskeith?

Edited by Offski

26 minutes ago, Offski said:

Do you not notice how many on here that have 2nd, 3rd or 4th cars & some might be hot hatches, or performance cars & that are not Young or Single or not single as they start on the journey to old age but might be along the line?

Fast Kia, Hyundia, and other non German vehicles are appealing to more and more, but there are those not young anymore that will like their Porsche or VW's, and might just get a N130.

What says you vrskeith?

Think I must be having my midlife crisis moment as am getting my first aftermarket exhaust fitted soon since the outrageous 150mm x 100mm oval backbox (Magnum) on my modified 174bhp SEAT Ibiza 1998 Rally Replica, now that was LOUD!:evilgrin:

• Like 1

20 hours ago, shyVRS245 said:

I was being a tad sarcastic, neighbour drives M-SPORT BMW 420D and probably thinks it's quick but way overpriced for 187bhp and £37,925 new!:D

420D at £38k makes the Stinger GT S seem a bargain all of a sudden! 

If doing 600 miles in a day or even just 60 miles type driving then which do you want to be in cruising along or trickling along in the Fiesta or something with a bit more comfort?

(These 3 door City Cars / Great road blaster Hot Hatches so often need as wide spaces to get the doors open to get in and out of unless young and agile or older and agile.)

Edited by Offski
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Offski said:

If doing 600 miles in a day or even just 60 miles type driving then which do you want to be in cruising along in or trickling along in the Fiesta or something with a bit more comfort?

(These 3 door City Cars / Great road blaster Hot Hatches so often need as wide spaces to get the doors open to get in and out of unless young and agile or older and agile.)

Have a friend with a 3door Fiesta and always make sure SWMBO sits in the back when we get a lift back from the pub. Just like to point out we walk to the pub which is one mile from our house.:biggrin:

• Like 1

On 30/08/2018 at 19:52, Skodaboy1983 said:

Having owned a Kia Ceed for two years before it was written off, I can say that it was one of the cars that I loved owning alongside my Fabia vRS, if it had not been written off I would have traded it in for another.

I was looking at a brand new Ceed last night at a car meet and was quite impressed interior wise but styling wise the rear looked quite bland perhaps being black but it prob would not stop me getting one.

If you said to me 10 -15 years ago I would drive a Kia I would have laughed, same can be said of Skoda before I bought one.

Davy

Back in 2010 it was time to swap our 5 year old C-Max and decided an estate was the way to go, mother was struggling to get into the higher C-Max by then. So tried an Octavia, VAT free deal at the time but the car (new demonstrator) was horribly noisy at the rear end. So they gave us another to try, the MD's own car, better but once back in the C-Max we were happier.

So we tried a Ceed Estate. Ticked all the boxes and bought it, had it for 5 happy years.

In 2017 we tried the Superb and after a morning in the car did a deal (via a broker). Tried an Octavia again but still far too noisy. Ceed estate was too expensive and in estate form only a diesel which was no good for our use now retired.

Earlier this year time to swap the wifes car. She fancied another Kia so we looked at the Ceed, Rio and Stonic. All way too expensive and had drawbacks for us. Tried a Fabia for a day, perfect, ordered via a broker again.

So for us Skoda was a no go in 2010, now we have 2 of the things. Would buy another Kia if the price and car suited us.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, skidpan said:

Back in 2010 it was time to swap our 5 year old C-Max and decided an estate was the way to go, mother was struggling to get into the higher C-Max by then. So tried an Octavia, VAT free deal at the time but the car (new demonstrator) was horribly noisy at the rear end. So they gave us another to try, the MD's own car, better but once back in the C-Max we were happier.

So we tried a Ceed Estate. Ticked all the boxes and bought it, had it for 5 happy years.

In 2017 we tried the Superb and after a morning in the car did a deal (via a broker). Tried an Octavia again but still far too noisy. Ceed estate was too expensive and in estate form only a diesel which was no good for our use now retired.

Earlier this year time to swap the wifes car. She fancied another Kia so we looked at the Ceed, Rio and Stonic. All way too expensive and had drawbacks for us. Tried a Fabia for a day, perfect, ordered via a broker again.

So for us Skoda was a no go in 2010, now we have 2 of the things. Would buy another Kia if the price and car suited us.

SO skoda is the new Kia!:biggrin:

• Like 3

3 hours ago, shyVRS245 said:

Consider this for value against the 420D, new Ford Fiesta ST-1 3door £18,995 and 197bhp also quicker than the BMW.:o

Indeed, but about as practical (for a family man) as the aforementioned motorbike! 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Offski said:

If doing 600 miles in a day or even just 60 miles type driving then which do you want to be in cruising along or trickling along in the Fiesta or something with a bit more comfort?

Can get them as a five door now, but think when it becomes more doors the fun appeal is gone. Hot hatches to me have always been 3 doors

Davy

Ford are going to discontinue production of the Family / Sales rep Mondeo.

Times move on, there is Scotlands best seller and the UK's, The Fiesta.  (Car not Magazine or Choc Ice Lolly.)

or the Crossover / SUV or SUV lookalikes to choose from, or the wee shopper car.

No Skoda out here in Canada or USA but Kia is massive.   Got a Sportage 4x4 with diff lock   petrol of course.  Fuel 75 p a litre equivalent !

• Like 1

Should add to my previous post the 2 other occasions we had looked at Skoda.

First time was late in 2002 when after a couple of years of struggling we eventually accepted that our beloved 7 year old Golf TDi was simply too small. The Golf estate looked good as did the Passat estate but the Octavia estate looked like it would do exactly the same for less money and we would still have our beloved TDi engine, seem to remember you could get the 110 PS without the troublesome PD in a Skoda at that time. Well a look in the showroom was enough for us to walk. OK, the boot was huge but rear seat space was no bigger than the Golf (and more awkward due to the very low seat), not for us. Ended up buying a pre-reg Mondeo TDCi 130 for much less than any of the alternatives

Move on a couple of months and dad wanted a new motor. I short listed 2 one of which was the Fabia. Borrowed one for 1/2 a day and I honestly liked it but again it all unraveled  when we look at the figures. He wanted the better trim spec (had an Almera SRi at the time) but you could only get that with the top spec petrol which was way overpriced. The poverty spec was way too basic and in that you could only get the 55 PS push rod petrol from the 1960's. But in the range there was a decent trim spec with a slightly detuned top spec petrol for a reasonable price, problem Skoda in their infinite wisdom made it in Auto only. So he tried the other car on the short list. The engine spec was fine, the trim and kit was fine and with a much better PX offer and a lower list price the money to swap was similar to getting the poverty spec Fabia, the car was a Jazz.

So from our first look to actually buying a Skoda it took almost 16 years but they eventually got there. I suppose it was inevitable.

On 03/09/2018 at 12:42, TonyTonic said:

In my opinion, this car is actually cheaper than it should be. THey price dit deliberately so it comes under the 40k premium tax threshold. If any of the premium german brands were selling this car with all the options on it, it wouldn't be far off 60K.

On 03/09/2018 at 12:50, shyVRS245 said:

German premium brands generally give you half the power of the Stinger for similar money but less equipment for example BMW 520D SE 187bhp £37,775.

11 hours ago, dunc69 said:

420D at £38k makes the Stinger GT S seem a bargain all of a sudden! 

£34.5k for a 340i (Plenty of options), plus £1500 for the MPPSK to make it up to the same power as the Stinger. Same power, less money. 

Edited by XLBaconDoubleCheese