Never thought this be the last drive

30 minutes ago, Offski said:

First attention might be given to the glove compartment area or the battery area.

Just a uninformed guess by the burning of the bonnet.

Does seem like it’s possible started there.  It was from behind the dash as for some crazy reason I reached in to grab my house keys. 

• Like 1

Wow .....glad nobody was injured ,perhaps you should change you name to LUCKYO-VRS ,,,,,,,,,,,this must have been the hottest VRS today

Edited by Sad555
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Rodge said:

How did the bonnet get to where it is in the photos?

I'm guessing it was removed by firefighters - that passenger side wing looks as though they may have levered it open!

@Lew0-VRS that sucks mate - sorry to see this. Glad no one was hurt but that's very inconvenient...

Edited by pist0nbr0ke

1 hour ago, Rodge said:

How did the bonnet get to where it is in the photos?

1 hour ago, pist0nbr0ke said:

I'm guessing it was removed by firefighters - that passenger side wing looks as though they may have levered it open!

@Lew0-VRS that sucks mate - sorry to see this. Glad no one was hurt but that's very inconvenient...

Yeah it's a standard process on a car fire to crowbar the bonnet open and hose down the engine bay, whether it appears on fire or not. Just prevents the possibility of it going up again.

4 hours ago, Lew0-VRS said:

Car was basically driven 4 miles and parked up. As I walked my puppy near by.  Sad times.  Now the long wait on what caused it. 

Sorry to see that mate. Like people have already said, at least you weren't in it. Chin up any road, worse things happen at sea.

From the various burn marks, that almost looks like a battery shorted and overloaded before catching fire. Mainly as the bonnet is burned near it and it looks a mess.

hopefully it’ll be sorted for you by the insurance quickly and you’ll be with a new car I’m not too long.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

20 hours ago, cheezemonkhai said:

From the various burn marks, that almost looks like a battery shorted and overloaded before catching fire. Mainly as the bonnet is burned near it and it looks a mess.

hopefully it’ll be sorted for you by the insurance quickly and you’ll be with a new car I’m not too long.

When a battery has an internal short, it loses power to 10.5v very quickly and won't catch fire. If the wiring or modules on the outside of the battery are shorted, the battery will just keep fuelling the spark at the short point until its discharged which can take around 5 mins to achieve.

Looks like a lot of heat damage over the gearbox between the battery and engine. Doubt the battery was the cause.

• Love it! 1

Yeah, if a Li-ion internally shorts, take cover and handle the mess with gloves as that stuff soaks through skin and is really toxic.

• Love it! 1

20 hours ago, cheezemonkhai said:

Yeah, fat chance that's going to happen in my lifetime.

Hope you haven't posted *anywhere* that you've had any unauthorised mod to your car because your insurance company *will* find it and *will* use it to wriggle out of paying out.

Awful; I hope it turns out well for you.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JohnnyType2 said:

yeah that's nuts, saw and commented on FB when you posted the flames,

...gutted for you mate (no pun intended) :sadsmile:

Thanks dude Skoda Uk been in touch.  It’s off to Essex tomorrow to be examined. 

• Like 1

On 08/06/2018 at 20:30, SkodaVRS1963 said:

Yeah, fat chance that's going to happen in my lifetime.

Hope you haven't posted *anywhere* that you've had any unauthorised mod to your car because your insurance company *will* find it and *will* use it to wriggle out of paying out.

Awful; I hope it turns out well for you.

Cars not been touched in any aspect. It has however 6 weeks ago had a new front bumper.  And a crack in the roof repaired.  Where they had to remove the headline. 

Horrible sight. Hope you get quick resolution from insurance.

Just looking at bonnet and agree with others - looks like glovebox area. Or could it possibly be fusebox at rear of glovebox? You didn't have something like a dashcam hard wired in there by any chance? I've read about a few problems with piggy-back fuses.