where to get tyres?

chrisski

Tyres will be ok , but if you are fussy about who fits them locally, do a test run on the website. Black circles used Formula 1 who were fine but did not ask what tyre pressure I wanted.

National Tyres are my usual choice and an on- line discount is available.

Asda online beat Blackcircles, for MY size tyres. Then, tyresonthedrive.com beat Adso as they have promo code to save 10% if you buy all four. (5% if you buy two). I used the same tyre brand and model/size for all three examples. As I am not yet needing tyres, I didn't continue searching further but give it a google, pick your tyre and shop around!

(P.S., The difference was a nice bottle of rum etc, with minimal travel for the latter one as they come to you. Other online shops send you where you are able to get to conveniently, subject to their fitting partners. Can be a mile or two, could be ten!

Edited by mrgf

Tyresonthedrive were great for me. Very well priced compared to Blackcircles etc. And came to my work and fitted them. Far easier than taking it to a garage and they cracked on whilst I worked.

23 minutes ago, chrisski said:

poss asda or blackcircles. have bridgestones potenzas at the moment but could get some Taurus Ultra High Performance for 60 instead of the potenzas at 90. only need the one tyre though

Why only one? If you plan on keeping the car I'd get matching tyres for the same axle at least.

12 minutes ago, ahenners said:

Why only one? If you plan on keeping the car I'd get matching tyres for the same axle at least.

just drivers front side. car been for service and that tyre borderline illegal although skoda guy advised but reception said illegal.

13 minutes ago, chrisski said:

just drivers front side. car been for service and that tyre borderline illegal although skoda guy advised but reception said illegal.

Have you checked with a tread depth gauge yourself? Wouldn't be the first time someone has been sold tyres they didn't need just yet at a dealer.

Are the front tyres the same age? Pretty much all cars I've had needed a set of tyres rather than just replacing one individually. VRS fronts were 2.4mm and 2.5mm when I replaced them both.

Edited by ahenners
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, ahenners said:

Have you checked with a tread depth gauge yourself? Wouldn't be the first time someone has been sold tyres they didn't need just yet at a dealer.

Are the front tyres the same age? Pretty much all cars I've had needed a set of tyres rather than just replacing one individually. VRS fronts were 2.4mm and 2.5mm when I replaced them both.

im taking it for a 2nd opinion anyway only went to dealership cause got a free service plan when bought it. wouldnt say was great service and the lack of effort when they vacumed it (supposedly) makes me wonder what other corners they have cut.

1 hour ago, ahenners said:

+1.

Almost got caught out by this myself having had an "advisory" at service, whom helpfully could fit 2 new tyres for me. 

Said no as I wanted 2 XL Eagle F1's fitted.

Bought 2 XL Eagle F1's through blackcircles and went to ATS to get them fitted, ATS guy refused to fit the new tyres saying there was no need and to come back in 6 months. 

Tyres went back to blackcircles, I got refunded with no issues.

Have used blackcircles and ATS to fit them since and gone elsewhere for servicing.  

Old tyres got replaced after around another 8-9,000 miles. buyer beware!

Edited by BNT1985

1 hour ago, chrisski said:

im taking it for a 2nd opinion anyway 

Always good to get a 2nd opinion, especially if the 1st is from a greedy dealer.

However, the best, most impartial opinion you will get is your own after measuring with a tread depth gauge. They cost about a fiver but are worth their value many times over. I like to know when my tyres need replacing, rather than a tyre seller telling me when :)

Edited by ahenners

4 hours ago, ahenners said:

Tyresonthedrive were great for me. Very well priced compared to Blackcircles etc. And came to my work and fitted them. Far easier than taking it to a garage and they cracked on whilst I worked.

etyres are similar, usually either those or blackcircles, whoever is cheapest at the time. 

12 hours ago, chrisski said:

can anyone recommend where to get good tyres online from?

Consistently the cheapest online I have found and fine delivery service.  Tyreleader.

https://www.tyreleader.co.uk/?gclid=EAIaIQobChMI--2PqJ7h2wIVF4XVCh1dswPFEAAYASAAEgIeRvD_BwE 

May not be after BREXIT.  Whole new kettle of fish.  

No-one's mentioned the ubiquitous KwikFit yet. I'm sure service varies between branches but I've been very impressed with my local branch.

I ordered the tyres I wanted online at a competitive price, booked a convenient fitting slot (they also have a mobile service) and they were fitted exactly when and as I expected. Also got a free Hunter Hawkeye alignment check which highlighted a small issue that I didn't bother having fixed as the car was only going to be with me for another 12 months at the time. There was no pressure at all to have this work done.

Some time prior to this, I also found them honest when checking the tyres for depth - a realistic appraisal of at least 6 months more life.

stick a 20p coin into the tread. if the tread isn't deeper than the border on the coin, the tyre needs changed.

https://www.wikihow.com/Check-Your-Tyre%2C-20p-Test

Check the opposing tyre also. If you do fit another single tyre, make sure its the same as the opposing tyre on the same axle. 

As a matter of good practice, its always best to fit the same tyre all round

Edited by carrock

12 hours ago, BNT1985 said:

Bought 2 XL Eagle F1's through blackcircles and went to ATS to get them fitted, ATS guy refused to fit the new tyres saying there was no need and to come back in 6 months. 

Tyres went back to blackcircles, I got refunded with no issues.

Have used blackcircles and ATS to fit them since and gone elsewhere for servicing.  

Out of interest, how much did ATS charge you per tyre change?

I use ATS-Euromaster lots to supply, fit and balance tyres for me.  Because i get the tyres i want at as good a price as from the Online Sellers, and my local fitters are top notch, been there for years, know the job, have all the gear and more than just an idea.

I trust them with the my life and that of loved ones, so giving them the sale just seems 'simply clever' to me.

2 hours ago, wyx087 said:

Out of interest, how much did ATS charge you per tyre change?

Nothing for fitting, it was included with the price I paid for the tyre on blackcircles. 

Thanks.

I didn't realise ATS was on blackcircles. I usually use the one on my way to work, never came up on blackcircle for me due to not near my home postcode.

17 hours ago, ahenners said:

Always good to get a 2nd opinion, especially if the 1st is from a greedy dealer.

However, the best, most impartial opinion you will get is your own after measuring with a tread depth gauge. They cost about a fiver but are worth their value many times over. I like to know when my tyres need replacing, rather than a tyre seller telling me when :)

got 2nd opinion at Farmers and turns out i need 3 new tyres. 1 back tyre has splits in side wall of tyre and other front tyre needs replaced. said car would fail MOT with splits in tyre. surprised garage hadnt spotted this!

eBay then arrange fitting with local dealer.  I paid £350 for new x4 Vredestein Quatrac 5's 235/40 R19, they were shipped from Slovakia within a week.  That's less than the price for two tyres at most dealers of UK sites.  I paid £25 to have them fitted and my old tyres disposed. 

I've been looking out for another 2 and again, eBay sellers on the continent seem to be the cheapest by some way. 

eVent tyres used to be pretty good but they sadly went out of business a few years ago.  Cost Co, if you have one local, often have job lots of heavily reduced Michelins and GY's .