Tinted windows

Been thinking lately about having tinted windows/window film fitted to my Octavia hatch.  I had considered some of those black mesh type blinds but couldn't find any decent reports of them so thought I'd go with proper tints.  Just interested to hear anyone's comments or recommendations regarding tinted windows firms.  I did an online quote for Global Tint and that gave me a price of £162 which I thought seemed reasonable.  I've found a couple of places not too far from me so might give them a visit and compare prices.  I've done some research and found that it's ok in law to tint the rear windows from the B pillar rearwards but I'll probably check with my insurance company first as they may consider this a "modification" and say no or want to charge me more premium.  I'd be interested to from anyone who has had a yes or no from their insurance company when mentioning tinted windows.  B)

23 minutes ago, silverden said:

Been thinking lately about having tinted windows/window film fitted to my Octavia hatch.  I had considered some of those black mesh type blinds but couldn't find any decent reports of them so thought I'd go with proper tints.  Just interested to hear anyone's comments or recommendations regarding tinted windows firms.  I did an online quote for Global Tint and that gave me a price of £162 which I thought seemed reasonable.  I've found a couple of places not too far from me so might give them a visit and compare prices.  I've done some research and found that it's ok in law to tint the rear windows from the B pillar rearwards but I'll probably check with my insurance company first as they may consider this a "modification" and say no or want to charge me more premium.  I'd be interested to from anyone who has had a yes or no from their insurance company when mentioning tinted windows.  B)

Declared on mine at no extra cost. They advised that tinted windows if not factory fitted (i.e. tinted glass) should be declared.

Recommending tinting firms is going to be a regional thing. Think I paid £160 for the hatch rear window and rear door windows. Guy who did it does plenty of work for the various Preston car dealerships and even office buildings.

Definitely better than getting the clip on blinds.

This is mine with 23% tints

cG3Hva.png

Edited by ahenners

Had it done on both mine, dealer paid for new one so not sure on cost. The other Octavia estate we had done locally (Kent) and paid £180 for b pillars back.

I researched locally and the guy I went with then got recommended to me after I booked so all good. Most will have a Google rating or Facebook page rating, can only do so much research before you plump for a company local to you.

Both done for kids benefit and keep cars a little cooler in the heat.

I got carshades for my estate. Would have preferred tints but the cheapest local quote can in at nearly £300. Shades were £65 or there about. At £150 I would have gone with the tint.

UPDATE

I've been in touch with my insurance company ( AXA)  about having tinted windows and it was a BIG NO from them.  So it looks like I'll wait until my renewal is due in September and try other companies who might allow it   :crying: :crying:

30 minutes ago, silverden said:

UPDATE

I've been in touch with my insurance company ( AXA)  about having tinted windows and it was a BIG NO from them.  So it looks like I'll wait until my renewal is due in September and try other companies who might allow it   :crying: :crying:

Do you have access to your Axa account online? You can make the change on there.

In fact, it's even listed on their FAQs:

https://secure.axainsurance.com/faq.axa/afmmain.aspx?topicid=&faqid=1050&question=

Did you mention they are legally tinted windows for the rear only? Perhaps the person you spoke to got confused as they don't cover illegal window tints i.e. to the front.

Edited by ahenners

Fitted Easy Shades this very morning (£85ish on ebay) so far they seem pretty good, from the outside they look like a tint and inside it certainly keeps it cooler/darker for the kids and they attach to the frame, not the window so stay in place with the windows down (upto 50mph allegedly... untested).

I've got the optional extra tints on my car but I don't think they're as dark as audi or bmw.

You can see they're dark, but I've never thought they were comparable to other cars. I've thought about getting it extra tinted but I don't like the line you get around the dot matrix.

I've seen a set of shades of eBay which I like the look of

Laitovo Classic Rear Window Shade Set Skoda Octavia Mk.3 Estate 13-18 Sun UV

Tinting the rear windows was always a security thing for me as if I had the seats down because I had something large in the boot, I want to keep as many prying eyes off it as possible.

4 hours ago, ahenners said:

Do you have access to your Axa account online? You can make the change on there.

In fact, it's even listed on their FAQs:

https://secure.axainsurance.com/faq.axa/afmmain.aspx?topicid=&faqid=1050&question=

Did you mention they are legally tinted windows for the rear only? Perhaps the person you spoke to got confused as they don't cover illegal window tints i.e. to the front.

That's interesting.  I think you must have your insurance through AXA direct.  I'm insured through a broker, OneCall insurance, but the policy is with AXA.  When I phoned One Call I explained that I wanted to have the rear only windows tinted.  I was asked to hold while they contacted AXA.  They came back with the reply that AXA wouldn't allow it.  They offered to try and find a company that would accept it but this may incur an extra premium and administration charge.  I can't understand why AXA allow you to do it but not me.  Were you already insured with AXA then declared the tinted windows later or did you declare them when you took out the policy with them ?  I'm just wondering if I was to contact AXA myself and explain what I was told by One Call I may get a different answer.  Worth a try I suppose.  I haven't had a look at your link for the AXA faq yet but will do now.  Cheers.

1 hour ago, silverden said:

That's interesting.  I think you must have your insurance through AXA direct.  I'm insured through a broker, OneCall insurance, but the policy is with AXA.  When I phoned One Call I explained that I wanted to have the rear only windows tinted.  I was asked to hold while they contacted AXA.  They came back with the reply that AXA wouldn't allow it.  They offered to try and find a company that would accept it but this may incur an extra premium and administration charge.  I can't understand why AXA allow you to do it but not me.  Were you already insured with AXA then declared the tinted windows later or did you declare them when you took out the policy with them ?  I'm just wondering if I was to contact AXA myself and explain what I was told by One Call I may get a different answer.  Worth a try I suppose.  I haven't had a look at your link for the AXA faq yet but will do now.  Cheers.

Yes been with AXA a few years now, their renewal seems to come in cheaper than new quotes elsewhere. Was already with them when I got the tints done and wouldn't have got them done if there was going to be an insurance issue. Mine is directly with them, so it's possibly not quite as clear cut for you.

The link basically states that aftermarket legal tints to the rear windows is fine and they will cover it, but the windows will be replaced without the tint.

Says they also cover a "Stainless Steel exhaust system" - that sounds like a great excuse to go and get a better exhaust setup! 

Edited by ahenners

When I tinted windows on my Octavia VRS MK3 Estate three weeks ago (rear, £140.00), I contacted my insurer (Elephant) and paid £29.14 for updating my policy. I'm not regretting it, the car looks so much better, even my wife likes it :)

Edited by hpq
  • Like 1

We’ve got the factory fit Sunset Glass on the SEL but also just fitted a set of tailored shades:

https://www.carshades.co.uk/privacy-shades-skoda-octavia-estate-p-5162.html

We have had similar in the Astra for a few years, and decided to get some for the Octy as they keep a bit more sun out than the tints and still carry on keeping the sun out if we open all the windows on a hot day to let the hot air out while getting the kids and associated guff in the car. 

Final Update Probably !

I decided to contact AXA directly myself but it didn't turn out as easy as I had expected.  I was speaking to AXA Direct who said that they wouldn't have a problem with tinted windows but as my policy wasn't with AXA Direct but through One Call insurance it was "probably" done through a different division of AXA who made their own rules.  I thought that AXA all just AXA but apparently not.  Or maybe I was given a load of bulls**t.  I may just go for the car shades blinds now  :crying:

I've had a look and what I can establish they only have a problem with tints when they're on the front windows. Rear windows can be limo'd

A lot of insurers have similar views on front tinting because quite often they're tinted to the max on the front out the factory. So anything on the front, as previously said, would be unroadworthy.

1 hour ago, tunedude said:

I've had a look and what I can establish they only have a problem with tints when they're on the front windows. Rear windows can be limo'd

A lot of insurers have similar views on front tinting because quite often they're tinted to the max on the front out the factory. So anything on the front, as previously said, would be unroadworthy.

I only wanted them on the rear windows.  I know the law states that it's ok to do this but insurance companies can put their own rules on your policy and if you break those rules they'll use that as a get out clause if you have to make a claim and invalidate your policy.  Possibly leaving you thousands of pounds the poorer.  I'm sure there's many people who've had their windows tinted and not declared it and "got away with it" but knowing my luck I'll need to make a claim sometime and they'll invalidate the policy.  A lot of insurance companies are quite happy to take large amounts of money from you for your insurance but also quite happy to use anything against you to avoid paying out on a claim.  My policy is up for renewal in September so I'll maybe wait until then and find a company that's ok with them.

Edited by silverden

After reading this and looking at the great photos...  it just has to be done .. damn  :biggrin:

Mk3 Octavia Estate ,  just had one quote so far from http://www.globaltint.co.uk. at £198 

Waiting on a quote from https://nanotechpristine.co.uk 

anyone have any dealings with either of them.. or can recommend anyone else.. ?

tia 

On 14/07/2018 at 13:57, Scotjimland said:

Called them and was quoted £170.. so booked in for this Wednesday AM .. will report back with photos . They use this film. https://www.suntekfilms.com/About-Us.aspx

done today and very pleased.. 18% on doors and 5% on back and tailgate windows 

IMG_3149.jpg

IMG_3150.jpg

IMG_3151.jpg

IMG_3148.jpg

Edited by Scotjimland
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Scotjimland said:

IMG_3149.jpg

IMG_3150.jpg

IMG_3151.jpg

IMG_3148.jpg

Yes, looks really good.  You're just trying to make me jealous because I'm not allowed to have mine done  :envy: :envy:  Out of interest, did you inform your insurance company about the "modification" or does your policy already allow that ?  I've been back onto mine trying pressure them into allowing me to have tinted windows but they won't budge.  My insurance is due for renewal in September so I'll try and move to another company that will allow it.

That looks great.........and it’s not just cosmetic,it’s great for privacy,you can see out just the same but people can’t see in and it’s keeps sun and heat out,it should be std on all cars and they would all look better imo.

8 hours ago, Scotjimland said:

IMG_3149.jpg

IMG_3150.jpg

IMG_3151.jpg

IMG_3148.jpg

According to the guy who fitted mine, Suntek are the best in the business.

Ive had my last two cars tinted by him, using this film; over a 7yr period none have torn or scratched - seems durable stuff and looks awesome too in 5% (I got 5% all around, thug life innit) B)

On 12/07/2018 at 22:17, uchuff said:

We’ve got the factory fit Sunset Glass on the SEL but also just fitted a set of tailored shades:

https://www.carshades.co.uk/privacy-shades-skoda-octavia-estate-p-5162.html

We have had similar in the Astra for a few years, and decided to get some for the Octy as they keep a bit more sun out than the tints and still carry on keeping the sun out if we open all the windows on a hot day to let the hot air out while getting the kids and associated guff in the car. 

These look good - whats the view like from inside the car when these are "deployed" ?

Fine, similar to tints really. Will take a couple of pics.

We don't have the rear window pieces fitted in the Octy, however as the rear is a two piece there's a bit of a strip down the middle that might annoy some.  It didn't annoy me when we had the rears fitted in the Astra, what did was the sticky pads coming unstuck in hot sun - thankfully the Octy is all clips.