For goodness sake, someone stop me...maybe!!

Ok, so I'm thinking of letting the Skoda Fabia go! Yeah, I know. I've had them for about 11 years now and been very pleased with all four of them. My current one is one of the best yet...smooth, powerful, reliable etc etc. But it's looks are kinda bugging me for some reason. I have the SE hatch and it does just about everything I want it to do. But I keep looking at it and thinking...wish it looked a bit more sporty, pazazy...more interesting, less....eeerrh boring!  I must add that I've always liked the looks of the Fabias, all of them. But since I had to drive a Citroen C3 recently, one of the new ones with the lovely Puretech 1.2 turbo 3 cylinder engine with the EAT6 auto box, I've been smitten by it! It went so well. The C3 overall is a nice package. The engine I want is the PSA group award winning Puretech 110ps unit with 205nm of torque at 1500rpm. It's well tried and tested and is used is Peugeot cars too. It offers very quick performance in the low to midrange, even with the EAT6 auto box and it's very smooth. I've been talking to one of my old proteges from years ago who is now a master tech for Citroen and he took me over one in the workshop from the engineering point of view. Got to say they nailed it on the new C3's. Good build quality, good electronics, great design all coupled with good performance. It's the best bit of engineering from Citroen I've seen for years and shows just how much they have raised their game in recent years. For me and the wife it's the ride comfort that is probably going to pull us away from VAG. The suspension is definitely on the softer side, as many French cars are and we are liking that. Yet the car remains stable in the bends even at speed, albeit with some minor body roll. But all very manageable. Best of all the car just glides over the worst potholes without even blinking a light and that's on 17" alloys! Incredibly suited to our roads. To get the auto box you have to buy the top of the range spec which is a shame but at least it comes with pretty much every concievable extra that you could want. 

Any thoughts? Any of you got one? 

Image result for Citroen C3 2018 pictures

Sounds good but I don't like the black rubber shower mats stuck on the side.

• Haha 1

Fully understand your reasoning and that's why there is more than one manufacturer of the motor car no one car ticks all the boxes for all the people !!

( when I drove a company BX some years ago although the ride comfort was exceptional I can still hear the mechanic saying " remember Citreon is French for ' lemon ' " , you pays your money ........ )

59 minutes ago, RickW said:

Sounds good but I don't like the black rubber shower mats stuck on the side.

That is just the score board for the shopping trolleys, and not on all the models, something to do with a prickly bush versions I think!

I had a Picasso version of them one year in Pulgia and I thought that it was very very good, but I'm very narrow minded so continue to waste/spend money buying VW Group products.

A friend of my wife has bought a C2 I think after some nasty people took her Golf TDI away without asking - though I think that decision was made by her husband on purely £££s reasons, so that he could replace his also taken without asking Audi A6, with a used Porsche SUV thing!

Got to admit Peugeot and Citroen have come on leaps and bounds and have to admit I do like the cactus or the ones with the rubber over the doors, the styling of Citroen’s are still wacky but they do work.

Davy

Friend of mine just took delivery of a C3 1.2 automatic and has been very pleased with it for a week now. One bad thing is the resale value here in Finland - Citroen has an extremely bad reputation and the value of the car goes down really fast, a lot faster than Skoda, VW or Toyota to name a few.

So, you're after a sporty looking car, but the C3 IMO has nothing to do with sporty looks. I think it looks like a toy car, sort of a life style vehicle Fiat 500 and such aim to be. C3 is nice to drive with lots of body roll but sporty... I think a Kia Rio or Toyota Yaris is sportier than that and they are nowhere near a sporty looking small car :)

• Thanks 1

Skoda depreciation is quite high in the UK if you are not trading in at a Skoda Dealership for a Skoda.

Beaten by SEAT that really Dealerships are not wanting on their forecourts if not a SEAT Delership, even VW Dealerships are not keen to have them.

1 minute ago, Offski said:

Skoda depreciation is quite high in the UK if you are not trading in at a Skoda Dealership for a Skoda.

Beaten by SEAT that really Dealerships are not wanting on their forecourts if not a SEAT Delership, even VW Dealerships are not keen to have them.

I find it strange that ignorance has kept people wondering about the Skoda brand after all these years since VW bought them and with all the generally good reviews in the motoring press.

Some awful cars seem to have better attention due to excellent advertising and faddy quirky looks. 

In my opinion Skoda have the looks and reliability I want in a car and I don't care if people do think I drive a skip on wheels.

• Like 1

Tried the C3 - VERY impressed.

If I were changing, this would be under SERIOUS consideration.

I had the original C3 - ( 1.4 Desire) which I ran from 2003 to 2009. One strut mount fitted, the only repair needed.

If you want sporty looks then this is definitely not it. Other than the MK3 Monte which is not that much different from you already got, This is the reason held onto my MK2 so long.

so desperate for a MK4 that really is the biz (hybrid or not) but thats another thread.

10 hours ago, RickW said:

I find it strange that ignorance has kept people wondering about the Skoda brand after all these years since VW bought them and with all the generally good reviews in the motoring press.

Some awful cars seem to have better attention due to excellent advertising and faddy quirky looks. 

In my opinion Skoda have the looks and reliability I want in a car and I don't care if people do think I drive a skip on wheels.

I am with you about looks and reliability re looks it’s easy to spot in a car park very important at my age :)and reliability so far I have only had to pay for annual servicing. It amuses me that if the car had a VW badge it would sell for a much higher price than I paid for my Skoda and with a bit of luck it will “see me out” :) Joe

• Like 3

The 'All new 3rd generation Fabia' was launched in 2014 and with customers early 2015 so we will now see the reliability and longevity as they go out of manufacturers warranty and get more than just oil and filter changes and look see and a report.

They are equal in components to a VW, SEAT or Audi of the same size class, it is the crazy way that Skoda / SEAT do high RRP's and then discounts that have the actual depreciation look bad compared to a price only some pay, or the lease price appears at.

As a 'Keeper' they are obviously a good buy, and it will be another 5 years until we know the true depreciation of them as a 5 year old car.

If you are keeping them and bought cheaper than RRP or even paid RRP it hardly matters, you just look at annual running costs.

Those are cheap obviously as long as nothing major needs doing and just servicing and maintenance.

• Like 2

It does seem crazy that the value that individuals place on objects that they buy changes so much in other people's minds, we are just breaking up my dead MIL's house, and while she had bought what was and still is being said to be good quality furnishings crystal glasses and crockery, all that stuff has no real value and not even charity shops or providers to people with no/low income so the cheapest option is to break it up and dump it in the local tip, such is life!

It is not the not getting good money for her stuff that bothers me, but trashing something that has still potentially got lots of life left in it - I hate waste and that is messing up our planet - good for business though!

Citroen do drop lots of value in UK as well, I think that the same for Fiat so if you buy a Citroen, Fiat, Skoda or SEAT then the easiest way to get rid off is to trade back in and buy another - not an escape, but a quick fix if you want another car.  I seem to remember that when my daughter bought a SEAT Ibiza, I warned her that she would be stuck with buying SEATs unless she was bold enough to take a hit and change marques at some point, so far I can see SEAT continuing to provide her with what she looks for in a car!

• Like 2

Hi Estate man, this is my little bit of input.

Firstly only you can decide. I know you have had issues with your Dsg and it must be worrying. I was worried and I don't even have one.

I think the Citroen is a good looking car and in motoring press reviews it ranges form a weedy 2 stars (what car) to 4 stars. I also realise that reviews are often biased and to be taken with a pinch of salt.

I have owned 4 Fabias over many years and like you I loved every one. I have been away at times and tried other cars only to find I was missing the all round drive, comfort, reliability etc of the Fabia.

As for French cars, they tend to be completely different. I have tried a few Citroen, Renault and Peugeot over the years and have never really liked any of them. The most disappointing part for most was the soft stodgy ride.

On test the seats feel lovely and the ride very forgiving, but living with one soon shows up the discomfort of the squidgy seats and nauseating rolley ride.

As for the Fabia looks, I tend to thing the car will still look well in 10 years time whereas the jelly bean rounded looks of modern cars will quickly date.

These are just my views and I don't expect people to agree with me.

Whatever you decide I wish you well and hope you love the new car.

Harry

• Like 2

I remember the light brown/beige Citroen, with the dark brown paneling. Always thought it looks like a bar of chocolate stuck to the side!

I also know the rep of French vehicles so would very seriously need to think long and hard about spending my hard earned on one!

Ugly, but as with old Saabs, thats the appeal! Toyed up but then, what isn't these days?  My money, for a working smallish hatchback to replace my Fabia would now almost certainly go on a Kia Rio. They look good, have many toys and have the world beating 7 year warranty!

TBH, I am unsure of auto's as although my old (02) Yaris has an auto box, I have never used a modern one and still prefer manual. 

Edited by mrgf

The major thing I don't like about the new C3 is that unless you have a base-spec car, the A/C system is controlled through the touchscreen. VAG are starting to do this too now (new A7, A8, Toureg) and I really don't think it's a good idea. They have however nailed the styling, and I think it's great that there is a company going it's own way with the looks. If it had proper A/C controls then it would definitely be a possibility IMO. It's a true step change from the previous model by all accounts- I had a Mk.2 C3 rental and it was dire. 

Having said that... the new Hyundai Kona EV is intriguing. My Fabia lease comes up late next year, by which point the Kona EV will be available. I'm not massively keen on the styling, but a 300-mile range affordable EV is pretty damn cool. It's a lot more to buy than any Fabia, but with super low running costs it might just work.

7 hours ago, Offski said:

'the true depreciation of them as a 5 year old car'.

I see Vauxhall offering 5 year 0% deals. Perhaps they are trying to clear out stock before having to register them prior to 1st September (although they allow registering up to 8th September - they must be compliant to do that).

The last time I remember 5 year deals was Fiat on select models about 30 odd years ago. Sadly for those who bought them the cars were worth nothing by about year 4 with 1 years finance remaining.

C'est la vie!

Bill :)

• Like 1

Thanks guys! I appreciate all you comments and sentiment. Strange thing is, I'm actually still in love with my Skoda...but I'm still wanting to play around outside of our relationship! To be fair though, I have to severe my links with Skoda if I'm to have some fun. Today, I've been trawling through some more Carwow offers. I've been offered a good sum for my 17 month old Fabia as a P/X. It more than wipes out the PCP and give me some dosh in return. I've decided to pay cash for the C3 when I do the deed as it's convenient at the moment and I can get a healthy, na very healthy discount through carwow.  

I've also been out in another brand new C3 demo car today with the manual box this time. It had the 110ps, 205nm's of torque 1.2 three cylinder engine. Boy do they go! Lovely thrum as you hit the gas and the gearbox is remarkably smooth and precise inspite of what you may read or see on the reviews. Yes the gear lever throw is longer than the Fabia but it's actually just fine as many roadtester will tell you. It's also very smooth and not notchy. Try one if you don't believe me.  In fact I also find the steering and suspension to be quiet amazing. The steering is again precise, light with decreasing power assistance as the speed rises. This does let you know what's going on under the wheels. Today I threw said car around some Essex country roads at speed. It was fun and the car loved it. I then took the car on to the infamous A12 for a cruise. I had two other folks onboard including my wife and the car just sat there gliding along at whatever speed you want with absolutely no effort. It does have lots more power than my Fabia 1.2 110ps from it's much torquier Puretech engine. Overall the car is just a little bit bigger too, taller, wider with longer wheelbase, but surprisingly, with just a little less passenger space in the back regarding knee room if anyone very tall is in the back. Headroom in the back was fine for me (I'm 6'2" tall). Sitting in the front even if you are 6'6"+ tall doesn't pose any problems regarding leg room. The seat just goes back and back and back, almost to the rear seat squab if needed. On the road the adaptive cruise was amazing and responsive to other traffic. The automatic transmission car that I'm wanting to order has just about everything you can think of added to it as standard so that will be nice.

The protective 'airbumps' as they are called running along the side of the car, along with the protective plastice shielding to the wheel arches and bumpers is designed to protect against supermarket car park damage. It's pretty difficult to actually hit the paintwork of the car with another car door or shopping trolley. I like that! However, if you don't like the airbumps they can be deleted from your car order...they come as standard otherwise. I quite like them, it adds to the slight quirkiness making the car stand out. We've had a Citroen C3 in the family since 2008. It's in fine condition still with no rust and has had zero problems until last week. After covering 110,000 miles it has an oil leak from the cylinder head. However, this is as a result of one of my sisters letting the engine coolant drop too low and the car overheating. She never lifts the bonnet to check the oil, brake fluid, or coolant inbetween services. I've tried to impress upon her the need to do this as eventually she will pay for this lack of attention but all to no avail! The source of the leak is a bottom hose clip coming loose! Amazing, such a simple thing to spot if one has a quick look round the engine bay. The tell tale fluid on the garage floor under the car should have also told her something was wrong but she's always in a hurry. Anyway, the quality of the new C3's is certainly much better than the previous model...and I've been all over it including a good look over the underside of the vehicle whilst it was up on the ramp on a wheel free check up.  I also had a look a the new 'Facelift' Cactus today. It looks a bit more conventional and no longer has the 'airbumps' but some other protective plastic instead. On the Cactus I never liked the airbumps and now it looks much better without them. I'm afraid so far none of you has come anywhere near stopping me...so it looks as though it's going to happen. I'll keep you lot informed for anyone that is interested but until then, bye for now!

Bit puzzled about the 'sever links with Skoda if I am to have some fun'.

The C3 is in general opinion a car not as refined as some with the emphasis largely on comfort. That comfort has been symbolic in other Frenchies and can become tiresome on longer runs in my experience. A firmer seat for example being more forgiving in the long run.

As for being quicker than the Fabia 110, it isn't. It is in fact ever so slightly slower 0-62 and tops out around 5MPH slower too. The Fabia is , also in general opinion the better handling car.

Where the C3 is slightly better is the mpg where it is listed at around 2 - 5 mpg more economical. The styling is also quite unique and as other cars comes down to taste. My view is that VAG have styling which is safe and timeless, again a matter of individual taste.

Here's a snippit from Auto Expresses review :_

"In the most part, it succeeds. In the majority of conditions the C3’s suspension has enough compliance to soak up undulations and bumps and, while the trade-off for this is some body roll in corners, it never really becomes tiresome. The package can’t quite shake off its relatively elderly underpinnings, though; occasionally you’ll notice that sharp imperfections – particularly bad potholes or expansion joints, mainly – will thump through to the cabin.

Nor, it must be said, is there any real involvement to enjoy here. True to the brief, the steering is accurate and reasonably linear – but there’s a bit too much play around the straight ahead and at no point do you get a really good line of communication through from the front wheels. The likes of the Ford Fiesta and even the Skoda Fabia are on a different level when it comes to feedback."

Harry

Hello Oz, yes indeed. The Suzuki Swift is a very very fine car. The only issue for us is the lack of carrying space in the rear, and that really is the only issue we could come up with for not buying one. It's priced right, it's high quality with lovely engines. But it has less than half the carrying space in the back than our Fabia and about half that of the new C3. That matters unfortunately, and I didn't realise how restrictive that would prove. With seats down  the Suzuki has a paltry 579 litres of space and the boot is only 265 litres with seats up. That would be ok regarding the boot but I didn't realise that the space was so small with the seats down. That was a deal breaker for us. The C3 on the other hand has a little less space for carrying that the Fabia but it's not bad and passenger space in the car is actually very good indeed especially for folks in the front and it's much better than the Fabia. It's about 4" wider or more, than the Fabia and it's higher and longer too so it's very much a bigger car than the Fabia or many other cars in it's class. 

Hello Harry, yes I've seen just about every review and some folks like it and some don't but mostly folks seem to like it. If you watch the video reviews online it gets considerable praise from every direction comparing well with the new Polo, Swift and others, whilst roadtesters pointing out their dislikes. Certainly the Fabia has the edge on handling at speed on country roads but the C3 is way more comfortable and yet still handles very well, and more than enough for most folks, but probably not boy racers! Bump thump is not bad on our Fabia's but on the C3 I'd defy anyone to say it wasn't better than a VAG car, as pointed out in many video tests. I've so far failed to fault the steering in anyway at all. It's light and well weighted on the cars I've driven and no midway play with instant response. Like you, I'm not new to driving cars and I've had my share of driving performance vehicles over the years and even taking part in competition driving, I'm and Advanced Driver and I am an IAM observer and EX instrutor so cars have to be good for me to rave about them. Although I would say the C3 is not the best in class car from many points of view but it's, as the reviews often say, a great car that does everything well for most folks. The C3 is very much faster on the pickup in real driving terms than the Fabia 1.2 and especially the 1,0litre turbo. That 205nm of torque, even in the automatic is largely responsible for that. There is very little difference in the acceleratin figures. This is actually reflected in the factory figures if you check them. 0-62mph is 9.3 on the C3 about the same as the Fabia. The auto C3 is slightly slower at 9.8 but various testers get different figures, some claiming the auto does it in 9 seconds, which I'd say was nearer the mark. But it comes down to lots of things and some of it's objective and some subjective as ever. Thanks for the comments Harry keep em coming.