EA189 fix or not?

I have a 2012 Octavia 1.6 TDI.

Recently discovered the "VAG DPF" app, prompted by the garage saying they couldn't do the EA189 fix as the "DPF was full", and I needed to drive at higher revs to clear it out, then bring it back for the fix.

So, then I started reading about DPFs, and about this fix, and came across a few people who seemed to believe the fix:

• increased MPG
  • increased frequency of regens
  • lowered lifespan of DPF

Now, I've no idea if any of this is true.   But, I haven't yet built up any decent stats on MPG and oil ash and regens etc, so I'm reluctant to have the fix yet.  If I can get some stats, I can see if it makes a difference.

Or, am I wasting my time, and should just get the fix? :)

Screenshot_20180717_195300.png

28 minutes ago, Offski said:

Why do you you want to get the fix?

I've no preference really.

But the dealership seem keen to do it - what's their motivation I wonder?  I assume they get a payment from Skoda/VAG for doing it, and can make a profit from it if they do it efficiently enough.

I get the impression they're going to do as routine, and it was only my DPF being full that stopped them.

Is there a general consensus on here it's definitely causing issues?  

They get paid you get nothing.

You get new engine management, a flow device and 24 month trust building guarantee and maybe hassle.

Yes they want to do it.  What had efficiency to do with it.   You can have a mobile tech come to you, or ask VW Group to pay you the hourly rate a Dealership charges.

£85 for an hour of your time.

Join the Facebook page quoted above and read of the stories of misery and ruined engines from those that have had the fix. 

Don't let them do it.

I'd wait until you have an issue with something that's fixable under the trust building measure assuming your eligible.

Apart from that, there's nothing obviously wrong with the figures from the DPF app. The car should automatically perform a regen soon due to soot loading and it seems strange for the garage to refuse applying the fix based on that.

The DPF has 46g of oil ash and apparently 66% through it's lifespan before it'll need replacing, might be worth adding your mileage but at a guess it'll be 110-150k miles?

21 minutes ago, langers2k said:

The DPF has 46g of oil ash and apparently 66% through it's lifespan before it'll need replacing, might be worth adding your mileage but at a guess it'll be 110-150k miles?

Good guess.

113000 miles.   And at this rate, the 70g limit will be reached around 172000 miles.

Maybe they have to make sure it's empty, so that when they apply the "fix" perhaps they then have to reset the software which then assumes it's low again.

Once the fix is applied you will have regens at about every 250 miles. Many people have found that switching off the engine before a regen has completed (more likely with frequent regens) causes the oil level to rise due to dilution with diesel fuel. This then leads to more significant mechanical faults. Join the Facebook page to see the experience of others.

Ok, thanks all.

Definitely going to avoid then, as I see no benefit of doing so, and it sounds like there's some serious chance for problems.

Will have a gander on Facebook at that group.  

Cheers

22 hours ago, Offski said:

They get paid you get nothing.

You get new engine management, a flow device and 24 month trust building guarantee and maybe hassle.

Yes they want to do it.  What had efficiency to do with it.   You can have a mobile tech come to you, or ask VW Group to pay you the hourly rate a Dealership charges.

£85 for an hour of your time.

Mother VAG pays for everything - this is supposed to be as a recall and they apply the fix via the official (and not only) network.

They're not supposed to pay anyone unless obvious damage until time speaking shown.

They're enforced (..by the law) to give warranty for the fix and they also have to give official receipt and report to follow.

Problems possibly to follow later on....this is another issue....

Is a 'Voluntary recall'  unless some country made it mandatory.   The UK never. 

Which law enforced them to give a Warranty the EU?   They VW made the offer to give a Trust Building Guarantee, that will be German Authorities that accepted that.

They VW in the UK in the form of Paul Willis CEO VW UK said that people would not be out of pocket,

so that was to be Courtesy Cars or expenses for taking your vehicle in, ie they pay your fuel, they should pay your time as you are doing them the favour of allowing them to appear to be sorting the issue they brought about.

Time that the UK Government / Chris Grayling MP & Michael Gove MP had cars with The Fix being retested in the UK, as to the Original tests, Inside on the rolling road ect,   and published numbers of reported failures 

that VOSA or the Transport Committee or just constituency MP's are receiving.

http://skoda.co.uk/pages/fuel-consumption-statement.aspx 

Edited by Offski

Just thought I'd say, my girlfriends rapid 1.6tdi had the fix before we bought it and hasn't had any problems. Economy is still great, dpf regens are only every 500 miles. No problems at all. Maybe the later versions of the fix had fewer problems. But then if it were me, I'd rather not risk it!

• Like 1

• 7 months later...
8 minutes ago, 59p said:

Checked my car and the below message was displayed

Does that mean my car has not been updated? 

It's hard to say, Skoda might not have updated their webpage.

The best check is to find out what software version the ECU has. VCDS and similar can do this, it's also normally shown in the VAG DPF app.

Just now, langers2k said:

It's hard to say, Skoda might not have updated their webpage.

The best check is to find out what software version the ECU has. VCDS and similar can do this, it's also normally shown in the VAG DPF app.

What version should I be looking for? And where in VCDS can I click to check ?

1 hour ago, 59p said:

What version should I be looking for? And where in VCDS can I click to check ?

Anything above around 9970 is 'fixed'.

Address 01: Engine (J623-CFHC)       Labels: 03L-906-018-CFF.clb
   Part No SW: 03L 906 018 C    HW: 03L 906 018 BR
   Component: R4 2,0L EDC   H24 7100 

If you have a VCDS autoscan, it's the number in red above.

• Thanks 1