Interior driver door handle flaking

Good question - Im following this thread with interest, I have the same problem. occasionally they 2nd hand ones come up on eBay but are almost as tatty as the ones I want to replace. 

The covering on one of mine has gone really soft and sticky - almost like chewing gum - exacerbated by the hot weather. I'm looking at the possibility of making a fabric cover for it, one that wraps around a bit like the pads that you can get for seat belts. Maybe I'll use some felt?  A bit of trial and error required I think.

Drefaldwyn

Likewise - I have the same problem. Don't want to have to change the whole door skin but not sure if that part detaches in any way from the door skin

• Like 1

I got it replaced by this part. Check correct placing by the weel side.

https://pt.aliexpress.com/item/SKTOO-Black-For-Skoda-Superb-Inner-door-handle-door-armrest-switch-box-inside-the-door-of/32834022642.html

I have the same problem. Interested if a supplier is found. Gone down the covering it up route but not very successfully.

• Sad 1

Hi, I bought a pair for the front about 2 years ago, genuine parts from Europe, but I can't fer the life of me find who I bought them through sorry. I know it wasnt on eBay (I checked my history), and that the price was very reasonable about 25-20GBP each.

10 hours ago, TheRobinK said:

Leather beige film maybe...?

They do black as well.

Leather Vinyl Wrap on eBay

Thanks for that TheRobinK. I'll investigate.  I've ordered a pair of "leather" seat belt pads which I will attempt to modify to act as a removable wrap for the door handles, perhaps secured by velcro. 

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2x-Car-Seat-Belt-Pads-High-Comfort-Universal-Fit-Eco-Leather-UK-Beige-Gray-Black/152493717402?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&var=451838582771&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

I'll see how I get on and report back. Might have to resort to the adhesive vinyl in the end.

Drefaldwyn

On 03/08/2018 at 19:25, superbdreams said:

credit card statements may help you to find the purchase :D

Perfect. I found them..... but they are no longer taking orders ;o(

Seller info
Bickerton Garage Limited
+44 8453377005
http://www.skodaparts.com
[email protected]
Amount
£50.28 GBP

Total
£50.28 GBP
Purchase details
SUPERB DOOR HANDLE SHELL UPPER PART 2008-2013
£21.89 GBP
Item #3T28671589B9
SUPERB DOOR HANDLE SHELL UPPER PART 2008-2013
£21.89 GBP
Item #3T28671579B9
Shipping
£6.50 GBP
Edited by williamshatnerspants
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On ‎06‎/‎08‎/‎2018 at 00:34, williamshatnerspants said:

but they are no longer taking orders

Well there are a few of you needing it so group together and ask if they will order that many, may be worth their while then.

(should I have started that sentence with "SO" lol)

• Like 1

On 09/08/2018 at 19:41, superbdreams said:

Well there are a few of you needing it so group together and ask if they will order that many, may be worth their while then.

(should I have started that sentence with "SO" lol)

I had presumed the company had ceased trading?

• 2 months later...
On 02/08/2018 at 22:18, TheRobinK said:

Leather beige film maybe...?

They do black as well.

Leather Vinyl Wrap on eBay

Further to my earlier post, I got some of the self adhesive vinyl and applied it to the door handle. I didn't scrape off the original covering as it hadn't deteriorated too badly. I first made a paper template of the area to be covered and then cut out the shape from the vinyl.  It was a bit fiddly to apply but the application of a bit of heat (not too much!!) from a hot air gun made the job easier. I'm reasonably happy with the end result but, as with most things, I can see areas where I might have been able to improve it. I may have another go at it in the future after I've seen how the vinyl copes with everyday usage.

The colour isn't a perfect match for the beige interior of my car but I'm a firm believer in the old adage that "An ugly patch is better than a handsome hole".

Images attached.

Drefaldwyn

handle.jpg

handle2.jpg

• 5 months later...

Hello Peeps,

I've had the handle flaking issue for about a year now and understand its the heat that 'melted' the handles - I'm in Australia.

Just sourced 3 'right handles' for my Australian RHD model and its the original OEM stuff and not at the dealer-rip-off prices. Have 2 to sell in Australia, if you need. If you need one, PM and I can help you out. If you're in Brisbane, I can install it (after I figure out from YouTube, how to do my car first). PM me if interested.

PS: Make sure when you contact, ask for both left and right handles, as orders are per piece (not a pair). Learnt the hard way, though still cheaper than Dealer-rippers.

Cheers!

IMG_0626.JPG

IMG_0627.JPG

SkodaParts.JPG

• Like 1