MPG

I see that figure is 'since start' and Ive never checked that,but my 'long term' record is about 51mpg but I usually average 48mpg.

I have a 1.2 dsg hatch.

Sometimes the display is temporarily wrong. About 2 weeks ago the "Average consumption" display in my 1.2 TSI SE Hatch with 10000 miles on it (so the engine is loosened up by now) showed only 33mpg instead of the usual 48mpg. Conveniently I went on a 110 mile round trip cruising at 60-65mph mostly and I kept checking the display and saw it getting better. After only 15 miles it was around 44mpg and at the end of the 110 miles it was showing 55mpg. Subsequent driving on my local roads brought it back down to 49mpg which I find is the norm for my car and driving style.

Be interesting to see if your 61mpg stays at such a high figure. Good luck to you if it does.

• Like 1

peter3197 - I also do the full-tank to full-tank method and I have been keeping records now for 12 months (exactly 12 months as it turns out) and I have discovered that my car's computer "Average" agrees with my own measurements to within about 1mpg. I find that amazing. I expect car computers to be less accurate than that, apart from the odd hiccup that is. BTW my car is also the 90PS engine. I should also say that I have been using a lot of air-con over the last 6 weeks and it is currently showing 52mpg.

• Thanks 1

I use an app called drivvo, enter mileage and how much fuel you put in every time you fill up and it keeps track for you. According to that I'm averaging 39mpg. 

I'm just amazed that on a motorway cruise I get 55-60mpg

Screenshot_20180725-162256.png

Edited by Odie
  • Thanks 1

1.2TSI 90. 5M with 24 k miles on the clock.

Long term is above 60. MPG at the minute.

Last tank, doing the tank to tank maths was 61.4 MPH.

566 miles on one tank and filled up with 42.71 LT in June.

Drops to low 50's in the winter.

I have records from new for the last two years.

I got better MPH after the first service in the spring of 2017.

MPG is temperature related for me.

During the winter the MPG is better on the way home form work as it is warmer than in the morning.

During the Summer the MPG is better on the way to work as it is cooler than in the evening.

Thanks AG Falco

• Thanks 1

1.2 TSI 110ps DSG. Best mpg is 66.4mpg for a 200 mile journey. It took in almost every type of road system, town, motorway (over 120 miles of motorway and dual carriageway), but not too many hold ups in traffic cues. My speed varied mostly betweeen 50mph and 75mph for most of the run. The one thing about the 1.2TSI 110 ps engine is it's ability to rack up the miles while drinking very little fuel. One of the most economical cars I've ever had, apart from my diesel Fabia Estate. 

1.2 TSI 90 Estate. Record long term is 51mpg after inflating tyres to 2.5 bar, usual 49-50mpg and I don’t drive conservatively. 

Im sure that flooring it with limiter on is worse mpg than just teasing on the edge with the accelerator, the real-time mpg suggests that’s true but it depends on the gradient of road.

My long term average is looking pretty good at the moment, around 49 mpg. Normally it's lower but I've been doing lots of long trips. My car has the 1.2 TSI 90 with a 5-speed. I'm very happy with the fuel economy. 

22 hours ago, Odie said:

I use an app called drivvo, enter mileage and how much fuel you put in every time you fill up and it keeps track for you. According to that I'm averaging 39mpg. 

I'm just amazed that on a motorway cruise I get 55-60mpg

Screenshot_20180725-162256.png

The official fuel tank capacity is 45L but it's possible to fit 47L in.

Which figure did you use?

It wouldn't actually matter what figure he used. It won't affect the actual miles the car covers per gallon, as long as he fills the car up again to pretty much the same place ie: briming it. Although you prolly know that Rick. 

38 minutes ago, Estate Man said:

It wouldn't actually matter what figure he used. It won't affect the actual miles the car covers per gallon, as long as he fills the car up again to pretty much the same place ie: briming it. Although you prolly know that Rick. 

I do know that as I used to do it a lot on my gas guzzling cars.

I'll try the app and see how it goes.

Blimey! 71.7mpg! That's very impressive. I got 56 last night driving back from work, only a few miles but I was lucky with the lights, barely stopped all journey!

16 minutes ago, vc-10 said:

Blimey! 71.7mpg! That's very impressive. I got 56 last night driving back from work, only a few miles but I was lucky with the lights, barely stopped all journey!

Well! I'm a bit upset about that figure, I must try harder, I've got beyond 69MPG with my wife's Polo 1.2TSI 110 SEL and that was on a 28 mile journey  that ended up being nearer sea level than when I started by maybe 180 meters!

Edit:- I used to run with the blower off for the first maybe 5 miles, that I don't think that plan is acceptable right now!

Edited by rum4mo

The screen was above 72 MPG after I backed on to the drive. But the stop/start didn't kick in. By the time I got the camera/phone out it had dropped. It was a good journey home. Straight through every set of lights.

Thanks AG Falco

57 minutes ago, AGFalco said:

Straight through every set of lights.

Thanks AG Falco

Hope they were all green :)

good effort though!

• Like 1

6 hours ago, vc-10 said:

Are you sure you didn't accidentally buy a diesel?

That kind of mpg is in my dreams!

Meant for vc-10

Edited by RickW
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Gerrycan said:

Hope they were all green

Didn't notice, I was looking at the MPG read out.

1 hour ago, RickW said:

Are you sure you didn't accidentally buy a diesel?

My other car is a Diesel and that does better MPG than the Fabia. 

69.3 MPG for a tank back in April. 

It is not as good as it was but the Ailurus has done 99 K miles and is getting tired.

Thanks AG Falco

• Haha 1

IF it is not too hot or cold, the journey is over 10km, traffic is light and I only catch half the lights THEN I can get mid 60's in a local urban commute with my 1.4tsi Octavia. Which is better than I do on an open highway at regulation speed limits.

Never had a clean run with the lights though :( 

@RickW it was quite late, so not much traffic. But overall, considering the driving I do (lots of awful traffic, stop/go, etc) the MPG I get is damn impressive for a petrol car. Short of a hybrid or diesel, I can't see many cars doing much better.