Fabia Mk1 1.9 diesel - Should I take the plunge?

2 minutes ago, maccy said:

Could you explain”plate value” this is new to me.

It's the number in a box on the axle weight "plate" sticker, and is what the manufacturer states the maximum smoke opacity is.  See here: https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/mot-changes-from-may-2018-guidance-for-mot-testers/diesel-vehicle-emission-limits

On the Fabia, it's on the inner face of the passenger-side wing, visible from the engine bay.

Edited by martinch

The smoke opacity has to be no more than that number.  Basically, before the 20 May 2018, you needed to have a reading of 3.0 or below for your car to pass.  Now, it's 0.6 or below (for a 1.9 TDI "PD100" - other engines will vary).

Edited by martinch
Grammar

On 08/09/2018 at 18:04, martinch said:

It's the number in a box on the axle weight "plate" sticker, and is what the manufacturer states the maximum smoke opacity is.  See here: https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/mot-changes-from-may-2018-guidance-for-mot-testers/diesel-vehicle-emission-limits

On the Fabia, it's on the inner face of the passenger-side wing, visible from the engine bay.

It says cars fitted with a DPF are only tested to the plate sticker ? or am i missing something.

@DC2990 indeed, that's what it says.  However, the testing manual says that any vehicle with a "plate number" will be tested to that value, otherwise they'll use the default of 3.0 (or whatever, based on the age of the vehicle...).  Yes, the government's documents are contradictory on this!

Full manual: https://www.mot-testing.service.gov.uk/documents/manuals/class3457/Section-8-Nuisance.html#section_8.2.2.2

Summary: https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/mot-special-notice-07-17-replacement-documents-and-smoke-test-limits/mot-special-notice-07-17-replacement-documents-smoke-test-limits-and-annual-assessments#diesel-smoke-tester-limits

It would seem to be a good idea for a diesel owner to start a new thread entitled something like "What smoke value has your car passed MOT with since 20 May 2018?"

That might give some idea of what interpretation is more common.

On ‎16‎/‎09‎/‎2018 at 06:52, Wino said:

It would seem to be a good idea for a diesel owner to start a new thread entitled something like "What smoke value has your car passed MOT with since 20 May 2018?"

That might give some idea of what interpretation is more common.

Started here Wino https://www.briskoda.net/forums/forum/113-skoda-fabia-mk-ii/

• Thanks 1

Hi Luke,

My first Skoda was a used Mk1 Fabia hatch with the 1.4tdi PD engine.  As others say, it's quite lethargic until the revs have risen to 1800 to 2000, owing to only having 6 valves, and the turbo being a simple, wastegated basic one. Remapping can't overcome this low-speed weakness (been there, tried that!)

I upgraded to a used Roomster, this has the 4-cyl version of the PD, so same 1.9tdiPD as you're considering, and 5-speed manual gearbox.   Don't know if this is the case in the "100" model Fabias, but in the 105bhp installation in the Roomie, the engine is still just 2 valves per cylinder (so eight), but the turbo is a more sophisticated Variable Vane/Nozzle unit, which builds boost steadily from about 1200rpm, hence this engine is far more flexible and versatile, it drives better, and as you'll see from my profile, is capable of returning excellent MPG.  Oh, and no Diesel Particulate Filter to clog up (unlike the later 1.6tdi Common Rail diesels.)

You might want to consider looking at used early Roomsters, front is Mk2 Fabia, rear is a purpose-designed van/MPV on an Octavia rear axle.  Amazing rear loading combinations thanks to the Varioflex seating, 3 individually foldable, slideable and removable seats, each with a full 3-point belt, very generous rear side doors, go check one out!

Footprint on the road is very similar to the Fabia estate. Roof rails and panoramic glass roofs were commonly chosen options. With the large glass area, air-con is essential in summer.   

Production has ended, with no replacement planned.  Used prices are very reasonable as many consider them an ugly duckling.  Whereas in fact they're a very practical, versatile all-round budget motorcar. With mucho commonality of running gear to the Mk1 and 2 Fabias. And plenty of helpful owners on here!

To date, I've used Autotrader to locate my two used Skodas.

Good luck with your search, be interested to hear what you choose..

11 hours ago, RichardatWakefield said:

Hi Luke,

My first Skoda was a used Mk1 Fabia hatch with the 1.4tdi PD engine.  As others say, it's quite lethargic until the revs have risen to 1800 to 2000, owing to only having 6 valves, and the turbo being a simple, wastegated basic one. Remapping can't overcome this low-speed weakness (been there, tried that!)

I upgraded to a used Roomster, this has the 4-cyl version of the PD, so same 1.9tdiPD as you're considering, and 5-speed manual gearbox.   Don't know if this is the case in the "100" model Fabias, but in the 105bhp installation in the Roomie, the engine is still just 2 valves per cylinder (so eight), but the turbo is a more sophisticated Variable Vane/Nozzle unit, which builds boost steadily from about 1200rpm, hence this engine is far more flexible and versatile, it drives better, and as you'll see from my profile, is capable of returning excellent MPG.  Oh, and no Diesel Particulate Filter to clog up (unlike the later 1.6tdi Common Rail diesels.)

You might want to consider looking at used early Roomsters, front is Mk2 Fabia, rear is a purpose-designed van/MPV on an Octavia rear axle.  Amazing rear loading combinations thanks to the Varioflex seating, 3 individually foldable, slideable and removable seats, each with a full 3-point belt, very generous rear side doors, go check one out!

Footprint on the road is very similar to the Fabia estate. Roof rails and panoramic glass roofs were commonly chosen options. With the large glass area, air-con is essential in summer.   

Production has ended, with no replacement planned.  Used prices are very reasonable as many consider them an ugly duckling.  Whereas in fact they're a very practical, versatile all-round budget motorcar. With mucho commonality of running gear to the Mk1 and 2 Fabias. And plenty of helpful owners on here!

To date, I've used Autotrader to locate my two used Skodas.

Good luck with your search, be interested to hear what you choose..

Thanks for the information - I think I have decided to go down the 1.9 engine route as I've read from a number of people on here and elsewhere that the 1.4 engine can be lethargic. 

Still looking, albeit with slightly less gusto due to a busy period at work.  Will keep you all in the loop when I finally find a good one.  Hopefully a forum member will want to find a good home for one of theirs! 

• 2 weeks later...

After reading the threads about contradictory government docs I emailed DVSA and this is their reply:

Further to your enquiry we have received the following information from our vehicle testing and roadworthiness team advising that the MOT inspection manual is correct, and unfortunately that on the GOV.UK is not. They are taking steps to have this information corrected.

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hi - I have managed to find a 1.9 diesel, but it is in the form of a 2001 VW Golf Estate :thinking:

Thanks guys for all the help, but I just couldn't find a decent low mileage Fabia Mk1 diesel Estate.  In the end a local Golf 1.9 SE estate came up for sale. One owner from new and only £400.  Its a lovely car, pulls very well and Im averaging 57.2 mpg. 

I have done a filter  and oil change, the car has apparently been serviced regularly ( it has proof and the oil was good), but the diesel filter must have been 5+ years old judging by the condition of it .

Anyhow, its a dark metallic grey with cream interior. The golf seems a well built car. 

Getting the cambelt, tensioners and waterpump changed tomorrow., but I'm using a professional garage to do this.  The car is solid underneath so hopefully , if looked after, I will get a few years out of it. 

Thanks so much for all the advice and efforts. Im pleased I managed to find a car with the PD diesel VW engine, and already Im happy with the performance and mpg.

Best wishes, Luke

• Like 2

Sounds like an excellent result, Luke, glad you found a car that suits you.

I had a 1994 Mk3 Golf hatch with the earlier 1.9td indirect injection engine, got an intercooler made and fitted, sound motor, my first taste of VW solidity and German build quality. 

Next I tried a Fiesta 1.4tdci, nice enough small car, good Peugeot-designed common-rail engine (turbo but no intercooler) but felt quite tinny after the Golf. 

So then my first Skoda, the 1.4 3-cyl tdi PD Fabia Mk1 hatch, bought used.

And now the Roomy,  5years of ownership clocked up, and gone from c56k  second-hand in autumn 2013, to nearly 94k miles.

Keep us posted with your Golf, sounds like a very lucky find!   And found itself a good home!

Richard.

Edited by RichardatWakefield
Improve reply to post.
  • Like 1

Thanks, its a nice car so far.  I've had the cambelt, tensioners and waterpump changed and thats a weight off my mind. 

I serviced the car with new brakes (discs and pads) new bleed nipples and fluid.  I changed the engine oil and filter. 

When I changed the fuel filter, despite filling the new filter prior to refitting, it took ages for the car to restart and I had some early trouble with starting which I have put down to air in the fuel system which seems to have bled through now.  It seems better now. 

Best wishes, Luke

• Like 1

On 18/10/2018 at 14:55, Luke83G said:

When I changed the fuel filter, despite filling the new filter prior to refitting, it took ages for the car to restart and I had some early trouble with starting which I have put down to air in the fuel system which seems to have bled through now.  It seems better now. 

Best wishes, Luke

I have had similar  1.9 tdi vw group cars,one of them (cannot remember which) and the first time I changed the  fuel filter - I used a pattern part,I then had occasional trouble with Air Ingress (especially uphill starts), so I changed to a genuine vw group filter and all ok after that.

Glad you found a goodun :biggrin:

• Like 1

On 19/10/2018 at 22:55, YS53 said:

I have had similar  1.9 tdi vw group cars,one of them (cannot remember which) and the first time I changed the  fuel filter - I used a pattern part,I then had occasional trouble with Air Ingress (especially uphill starts), so I changed to a genuine vw group filter and all ok after that.

Glad you found a goodun :biggrin:

Thanks, all resolved now. Indeed it was a pattern part, but seems to have bled through fortunately. 

Drove the car from Garstang Lancs to York on Sunday and it averaged 60.9 mpg on the motorway at a steady 70mph.  Quite impressed with that, the Rover 45 was struggling to keep at 40mpg. 

Few little jobs to do, but its a goodun.  Next weekend I'm going to waxoyl underneath before the winter road salt comes...

• Like 1

Treat yourself to a bottle of Millers Diesel fuel additive, Luke (Eco-Power Plus I think is its current name), add the correct dosage before every refuel, you should see your MPG creep a bit higher.

Just brimmed my Roomster, same engine, not sure how they compare on kerbweight or drag, a shade over 65mpg averaged, that's using Millers PD-specific oil, and their fuel additive.   It's also had a Darkside Developments economy remap.   Through the hot summer, best was over 67mpg.

Good luck, and sounds like you're getting it sorted to your liking!

Richard.

Edited by RichardatWakefield
Accuracy.

8 minutes ago, RichardatWakefield said:

Treat yourself to a bottle of Millers Diesel fuel additive, Luke (Eco-Power Plus I think is its current name), add the correct dosage before every refuel, you should see your MPG creep a bit higher.

Jjust brimmed my Roomster, same engine, not sure how they compare on kerbweight or drag, a shade over 65mpg averaged, that's using Millers PD-specific oil, and their fuel additive.   It's also had a Darkside Developments economy remap.   Through the hot summer, best was over 67mpg.

Good lack, and sounds like you're getting it sorted to your liking!

Richard.

Moar snake oil = moar betterer?

• Confused 1

9 minutes ago, RichardatWakefield said:
9 minutes ago, RichardatWakefield said:

Jjust brimmed my Roomster, same engine, not sure how they compare on kerbweight or drag, a shade over 65mpg averaged, that's using Millers PD-specific oil, and their fuel additive.   It's also had a Darkside Developments economy remap.   Through the hot summer, best was over 67mpg.

Good lack, and sounds like you're getting it sorted to your liking!

Richard.

Cheers Richard, I will give that a go.  Giving it a good blast on the Motorway will have done it good. 

Yeah I'm pleased with mpg figures at this level, especially given the cars age. 

Best wishes and happy motoring! 

1 hour ago, Luke83G said:

Next weekend I'm going to waxoyl underneath before the winter road salt comes...

If you don't already have the waxoyl, I highly recommend Bilt Hamber's Dynax UC - dries clear, as hard as candle wax, and contains corrosion inhibitors.

Edited by martinch

3 minutes ago, martinch said:

If you don't already have the waxoyl, I highly recommend Bilt Hamber's Dynax UC - dries clear, as hard as candle wax, and contains corrosion inhibitors.

...or just live in the sarf of england, we don't even get salt on our fries at Maccy D's :giggle:

21 minutes ago, sepulchrave said:

...or just live in the sarf of england, we don't even get salt on our fries at Maccy D's :giggle:

lol. 

Couldn't cope without my Hotpot, flatcap and Whippets , but cheers for the suggestion :-)

27 minutes ago, martinch said:

Ah ok, I've always used Waxoyl, kept our family Montego Countryman going for 22 years on its original wheel arches!  But will give it a bit of research. Is it applied in the same manner (e.g. lay underneath, spray and get more on yourself...)