Aftermarket Head Unit Recommendations

1 minute ago, emf0778 said:

Could I just ask which fascia you’re using to install these aftermarket stereos, please?

It depends which one you buy, and what car you have. Many android units are the standard double DIN size, so you will have to buy a conversion kit to convert the gap in whatever model your car is, into a standard double DIN size - they're not expensive, freely available on Amazon/eBay etc.

Some head units are designed to replace existing models - like the one I have is a direct swap out for the Columbus unit, so is literally just swap, plug and play using all original mounting equipment and facia surrounds etc.

Ah ok.  This is a standard Sony stereo, the front is double din but the back isn’t, confusingly.  Think I’ve found something, though.... fingers crossed.  I’ve the facelift mk II with bolero head unit.

10 minutes ago, emf0778 said:

Ah ok.  This is a standard Sony stereo, the front is double din but the back isn’t, confusingly.  Think I’ve found something, though.... fingers crossed.  I’ve the facelift mk II with bolero head unit.

Nice one.  Once you've fitted it, could you put up a pic?  :thumbup:

On 12/10/2018 at 12:07, phil123420 said:

I used atd.

it was great for 3 months. Awful now. Just crashes. Worst decision I’ve made in years

On 14/10/2018 at 18:30, phil123420 said:

I own one. I wish I didn’t.

i was going to leave a positive review on a different thread a while back but I never got round to it. It was excellent for a few months and then it took a turn for the worse and now it won’t even turn on. A complete waste of money

i bought it, ignoring all the bad reviews, after seeing one positive story and thinking maybe the technology had got to a point where they could manage to make a low grade tablet.  These things have been going a while now - surely they’ve ironed out all of the creases. They haven’t. Feel free to buy one but don’t expect it to work for very long

One of the main benefits touted by ATD is that they are UK based and therefore if you have any issues they can offer better support and returns under warranty... so why didn't you just get in touch with them and return it for a replacement??

I contacted ATD about the headunit, which looks the same and has basically the same model number (JES-SK7826S-3 vs 7826SGB).  This was their response:

Please note, our products are unique to us. You may see similar items but they are nowhere near the same product. Our units are built better, have better components and we offer official navigation with all our oem-style fit head units. We are also UK based, with a registered company number and we pay VAT on our sales. We are the only genuine UK seller of factory fit style units.

If you are buying from an overseas seller, after 180 days you will have absolutely no protection on your purchase. Some may say 2 year warranty but you will never experience this. Some may say UK returns, but in reality it's not, they will ask you to return overseas. We know all of this from experience as we have been in this trade a while now.

I followed this up, but so far they have not been forthcoming with any proof that theirs is better or different to the Erisin one.  The only difference I can see in the listed specs is the speaker power output 4 x 50W opposed to 45W.

On 14/10/2018 at 17:47, ryan-re said:

The pioneer/Alpine units are a mix of oem fit and double din. But they do Andriod units which are far far superior to these ebay specials. I really cant see why anyone would buy one.

I haven't seen any by Pioneer, Alpine etc. that have a Stream mp3 / Bolero OEM fit.  I much prefer a proper fit to a universal double DIN with a massive ugly looking fascia panel to fill the gaps.

On 14/10/2018 at 17:39, langers2k said:

Kenwood make a few models that match the Columbus/Amundsen+/Amundsen size.

The latest is the DNX518VDABS, I think there is also the older DNX516DABS and DNX520VBT to mention a few.

Hi langers2k, you well?
They're also hugely expensive.  I don't doubt that, at the end of the day, they'll sound better than a cheaper chinese unit, but would I notice at 70mph?  I also don't have that sort of money to throw at a 10 year old car with 168k miles on the clock!

I could fit a DAB Columbus AND bluetooth module for significantly less than that..  For me, the options are this, or an Erisin-or-same-same thing.

Edited by mrhappy
greetings

1 hour ago, ryan-re said:

A higher quality source unit WILL sound better than a cheap one. That is a fact

I know.

A £40000 hifi will sound better than a £500 one.  mp3s will sound like mp3s on both though.

Edited by mrhappy

3 hours ago, mrhappy said:

One of the main benefits touted by ATD is that they are UK based and therefore if you have any issues they can offer better support and returns under warranty... so why didn't you just get in touch with them and return it for a replacement??

I contacted ATD about the headunit, which looks the same and has basically the same model number (JES-SK7826S-3 vs 7826SGB).  This was their response:

Please note, our products are unique to us. You may see similar items but they are nowhere near the same product. Our units are built better, have better components and we offer official navigation with all our oem-style fit head units. We are also UK based, with a registered company number and we pay VAT on our sales. We are the only genuine UK seller of factory fit style units.

If you are buying from an overseas seller, after 180 days you will have absolutely no protection on your purchase. Some may say 2 year warranty but you will never experience this. Some may say UK returns, but in reality it's not, they will ask you to return overseas. We know all of this from experience as we have been in this trade a while now.

I followed this up, but so far they have not been forthcoming with any proof that theirs is better or different to the Erisin one.  The only difference I can see in the listed specs is the speaker power output 4 x 50W opposed to 45W.

I’m not dodging this - but as currently going through a process, I’ll update when it’s over - I don’t want to upset the proceedings till it’s over

5 hours ago, ryan-re said:

A higher quality source unit WILL sound better than a cheap one. That is a fact

Sort of agree - where would you rank the original Skoda Columbus on the quality scale? The sound quality on my android unit is noticeably better which came as a pleasant surprise. 

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't believe the major players (Kenwood etc) have an android unit available yet. Android auto yes, but not pure android. 

Something like the Columbus wont be at the bottom of the scale BUT nor would it be rated as high quality. It will still have a low output built in amp, something like 10w per channel. They do this because if the columbus had a great amp they wouldnt see the canton add-on which has an additional amp. 

Ive also listened to canton, bose, B&O, Dynaudio setups in vag cars and tbh the only half decent one was the B&O in the current A4. I'd still have points such as the centre speaker not doing anything so the stage was still focused to the site you are sat on.

Pioneer and Alpine I believe do pure units now. Pioneer do a unit which you and physically attach your phone to and install an app on your phone to run the headunit

10 hours ago, mrhappy said:

The Erisin one although Chinese based is shipped from an EU/UK warehouse, they do also ship from China, therefore if it's shipped from the UK or EU it is covered by the 2 year warranty, I made sure mine was not shipped from China for this reason, if you pay by Paypal you are covered for £500 and if they don't repair or replace or refuse the warranty then a Paypal dispute can be raised and in my experience PP always act in the buyers favour.

I think ATD are talking poop to be honest, Erisin are branded Erisin, I don't think the ATD ones have any branding do they?

I bought and installed a RCD330 Plus bought from eBay - made offer and got it for £160 and it was plug and play. 

It's cheaper if you go for a red display/VW logos, Skoda ones are rarer so sell a bit more. This is a similar auction from same seller:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Car-Audio-Radio-RCD330-for-VW-Skoda-Carplay-Android-Auto-MirrorLink-BT-AUX-RVC-/332088794917

Comes with Apple CarPlay and Android Audio over USB but I don't use the latter.  Handsfree, Bluetooth, no CD but whatever.  CarPlay is really good and everything works except climate on the main display, but who needs that when you can just look at the dial.  My Octavia Elegance doesn't have MFSW but understand this works as well.  I installed it with an aftermarket Columbus surround.

I've few complaints. Spotify and iPlayer Radio are brilliant, Nav is brilliant, sound is good but if I had to be picky i'd say it can't manage high levels of bass as well as the Bolero did, you end up loosing some definition at high volumes, and there is this pain the neck that it tries to access the reversing camera when you put it into reverse.  I don't have a reversing camera, so I have to OK a screen before it goes into Park Pilot.  It doesn't then do this again until you take keys out of the ignition so not a major problem but it's there - aftersales said you can fix it with VCDS but I don't have it.

I need the stereo to link with my phone and it does, so it's a no-brainer - i'd pick one of these over Pioneer or Sony at twice or three-times the price.

IMG_8818 (1).jpg

On 20/10/2018 at 23:36, T2000 said:

The Erisin one although Chinese based is shipped from an EU/UK warehouse, they do also ship from China, therefore if it's shipped from the UK or EU it is covered by the 2 year warranty, I made sure mine was not shipped from China for this reason, if you pay by Paypal you are covered for £500 and if they don't repair or replace or refuse the warranty then a Paypal dispute can be raised and in my experience PP always act in the buyers favour.

I think ATD are talking poop to be honest, Erisin are branded Erisin, I don't think the ATD ones have any branding do they?

The ATD ones are apparenty made by PbA.  I can't find anything on a Chinese electronics company called PbA, and given their lack of response I'm really struggling to believe them.  I'd like to...

On 20/10/2018 at 15:55, phil123420 said:

I’m not dodging this - but as currently going through a process, I’ll update when it’s over - I don’t want to upset the proceedings till it’s over

Phil, while yours was working, how was it?  Do you believe it's any different to the Erisin one? (I appreciate you probably haven't bought both in order to make a proper comparison!).  I'd be interested to see if it has any non-Erisin labelling on the unit, if you happen to have it out of the car?

44 minutes ago, mrhappy said:

The ATD ones are apparenty made by PbA.  I can't find anything on a Chinese electronics company called PbA, and given their lack of response I'm really struggling to believe them.  I'd like to...

Phil, while yours was working, how was it?  Do you believe it's any different to the Erisin one? (I appreciate you probably haven't bought both in order to make a proper comparison!).  I'd be interested to see if it has any non-Erisin labelling on the unit, if you happen to have it out of the car?

Whilst it was working it was outstanding. I was so smug. It updated the cab and sounded better (only with loudness on)(and I put an under seat sub in). I almost got round to leaving a smug review in a forum like this laughing at people putting up with their tinny columbus’ sound, brown maps and faultless operation

My atd/pba/erisin is off for repair presently, but every time you reset it, it proudly shows off its Eresin. Just so you know who produced the junk every time I have to reset it. Which was often

“Eresin - easy ridin entertainment”

etched into my memory forever more

Ah dude that sounds crap.  Are you going to put it back in when it's been repaired?

So the ATD ones are actually made by Erisin?  No wonder they've kept very quiet since I asked.  I'll probably not bother paying the extra £40 then

3 minutes ago, mrhappy said:

Ah dude that sounds crap.  Are you going to put it back in when it's been repaired?

So the ATD ones are actually made by Erisin?  No wonder they've kept very quiet since I asked.  I'll probably not bother paying the extra £40 then

Have you typed Erisin review into google? I’ve never seen such bad reviews 1.8 out of ten on trust pilot. I’d steer well clear

i also had the car play attachment which didn’t integrate properly.

and the dab add on. Which worked 80% of the time.

I'm not putting it back in. 

As as I said, I’ll update shortly!

• 6 months later...

The best outcome happened.

hermes lost the stereo in transit and it was insured.

it might have helped that I wrote “car stereo” on the box.

i since went through a kenwood 521 - similar sound quality and severely dated. I was beginning to think it might just be the speakers that were awful

i flogged that and managed to pick up a pioneer 980. The interface with the steering wheel and maxi dot is poor.

the stereo, sound and everything you want from a stereo is in a different league.

although it does start to lag on the menu if you have over 100gb of music

in sound terms out of ten, the Columbus was a 2,  the erisin was a 2.5, the kenwood 2.5-3, and the pioneer up around 7-8.

in the end, the second hand pioneer was cheapest compared to a new erisin and loads better. I feel the second hand pioneer would be better than the atd warranty which isn’t worth the small print.

Nice one. Sounds like the perfect outcome. I'll be honest I find the Columbus sound OK. I'm no audiophile, I can hear the sound just fine and don't have it too loud, loud music drives me crackers. 

I'm looking to change the Columbus because of some issues I'm having with it and fancied PbA unit from ATD as I've been a long time Android user and understand it and like it's versatility so an Android unit would be ideal but I'm now a bit wary because of reviews and stories like yours. Decisions decisions

My line of thinking was that these horror stories go back so long that surely they’d have the unit working by now .

its up to you but I felt pretty stupid for not heeding all the warnings for no real reason apart from the unit looked the part and sounded useful.

the fella I bought my pioneer unit off had the joying version of my atd one and couldn’t believe I had had a problem with mine... 

i personally just hated the tinny bit of the Columbus. It was as if they’d only put little tweeters pall over the cabin and forgotten to put in the big speakers

the android use of the atd was fun for 3 months but the gradual decline to the point it stopped working was infuriating.  Also, the warranty is worthless. After 1 repair they offer a refund , pro rata for 1 year so after 11 months they’ll give you £20 back. 

I’d look at it like a £20 a month lease until you get a different stereo next year

I've got an ATD one, maybe about 6 months old now. So far it all still works, but the reversing ultrasonics display is small and doesn't turn on the unit by itself, nor mute the music even though the manual says it does. ATD support didn't say why. The beeps are still there though.

I love that it has an equaliser.