What have you done to your Superb III today?

Nice move newbie. 👍

When my hand is better, i'm going to look at dremeling out the cover in front of the air filter and making something that slides from left to right so I can have it open as and when I like. I could then justify having of one of those honeycomb shaped grilles that are now becoming popular.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, newbie69 said:

I have to say the two seem to work pretty well on a strong stage 1

Speaking to a tuner last week about the inlet pipe/elbow upgrade and he sees a consistent 12-15 bhp/Nm mark up on stage ones and slightly lower on stock cars but response and pick up is also a meant to be noticeably improved.   This backs up what I've seen via other online blogs/posts by some well regarded UK tuners. 

You could be nudging 400bhp with those mods + stage 1 + 99 RON 👏

Edited by penguin17
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, Bigeater said:

Nice move newbie. 👍

When my hand is better, i'm going to look at dremeling out the cover in front of the air filter and making something that slides from left to right so I can have it open as and when I like. I could then justify having of one of those honeycomb shaped grilles that are now becoming popular.

Cheers. Opening up the front of the stock duct and removing the snow guard does provide some small but more importantly free gains on these cars!

9 minutes ago, penguin17 said:

Speaking to a tuner last week about the inlet pipe/elbow upgrade and he sees a consistent 12-15 bhp/Nm mark up on stage ones and slightly lower on stock cars but response and pick up is also a meant to be noticeably improved.   This backs up what I've seen via other online blogs/posts by some well regarded UK tuners. 

You could be nudging 400bhp with those mods + stage 1 + 99 RON 👏

Yes, the intake + inlet combo seems to be pushing like 25-30bhp extra on these stage 1 engines, and my preliminary times definitely seem to back this up. The combined effect of the extra boost + air flow is definitely more than the sum of its parts. I had the turbo elbow since stock (carried over from the CS) and can't say I had noticed or measured any noticeable gains. With the JB4, maybe a couple tenths off on average on the 100-200 run, but after the REVO map (btw, it's a really strong one, full report to follow in the coming days/weeks) and the R600 went on it seems as if everything has woken up.

On last night's Autobahn test, ECU was showing 297kw (crank) whereas before it was maxing out at 200kw. It's a funny video that, will be shared soon.

Screenshot_20200518_155116.jpg.dbddcce5c8f8b922183d4b0448e22e60.jpg

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, newbie69 said:

Cheers. Opening up the front of the stock duct and removing the snow guard does provide some small but more importantly free gains on these cars!

Yes, the intake + inlet combo seems to be pushing like 25-30bhp extra on these stage 1 engines, and my preliminary times definitely seem to back this up. The combined effect of the extra boost + air flow is definitely more than the sum of its parts. I had the turbo elbow since stock (carried over from the CS) and can't say I had noticed or measured any noticeable gains. With the JB4, maybe a couple tenths off on average on the 100-200 run, but after the REVO map (btw, it's a really strong one, full report to follow in the coming days/weeks) and the R600 went on it seems as if everything has woken up.

On last night's Autobahn test, ECU was showing 297kw (crank) whereas before it was maxing out at 200kw. It's a funny video that, will be shared soon.

Nice work :clap:  

Numbers are only half the story though, right?  I bet it just feels so much more responsive and willing.  Looking forward to more updates 😀

3 minutes ago, newbie69 said:

Interesting, did the performance meter in the infotainment change as well? On the Golf R changes in boost and power aren't shown on the dash.

1 minute ago, ZacDaMan72 said:

Interesting, did the performance meter in the infotainment change as well? On the Golf R changes in boost and power aren't shown on the dash.

Yeah I thought that but then seen the 297kW on the VC (bottom LH corner).  

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, ZacDaMan72 said:

Screenshot_20200518_155116.jpg.dab94a014a6e41cfc14686edf22f1869.jpg

Yeah, i think boost changed too, only checked once while we were running some logs with the tuner, will report back but I'm almost sure.

Edited by newbie69
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, penguin17 said:

Yeah I thought that but then seen the 297kW on the VC (bottom LH corner).  

Yeah, that's why I asked. After getting the Kodiaq RS I'm now wanting to replace my Golf with a 7.5, don't care what people here say but I'm not wanting a land yacht, already have one. The R wagon stock handles far better than a Superb Sportline and suits me more considering that I've already got a family car.

Just now, newbie69 said:

Screenshot_20200518_155116.jpg.dab94a014a6e41cfc14686edf22f1869.jpg

I'm asking about in the infotainment system. 

Edited by ZacDaMan72
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, ZacDaMan72 said:

Yeah, that's why I asked. After getting the Kodiaq RS I'm now wanting to replace my Golf with a 7.5, don't care what people here say but I'm not wanting a land yacht, already have one. The R wagon stock handles far better than a Superb Sportline and suits me more considering that I've already got a family car.

I'm asking about in the infotainment system. 

You refer to Sportline DCC or non adaptive Sportline? There's a difference between the two. Another big thing is the rear arb upgrade, totally changes the potential of the car, night and day difference in cornering. All in all, I found a DCC Sportline set to Sport with an upgraded rear anti-roll bar provides more grip and body control than I could safely exploit on a public road, and I do like to push my cars given the right conditions. A set of stiffer springs would provide the last 10% of improvement imo (shocks in Sport mode are fine) but they drop it a bit lower than my like so I have forgotten about them for the time being.

Virtual cockpit and infotainment share the same info, it would be weird for the infotainment to somehow stick to stock boost and power calculations when VC shows the updated ones, but as I haven't checked specifically I'll go out and check that later on (today's excuse sorted :D)

Edited by newbie69

Just now, ZacDaMan72 said:

Do it!  The 7.5 R is epic!  :thumbup:

Just now, penguin17 said:

From an objective point of view right?? :D:D

I agree that if one doesn't need the cabin and boot space of the Superb (and doesn't suffer from estate intolerance like myself :tongueout:) it's a top option.

Essentially, all cars that share this same power-train are great in their class. It's the engine-gearbox-haldex combo that is so damn good that makes those cars, because let's face it, much fewer would be as excited about their Golfs, Cupras and Superbs if it weren't for this crucial trio at the very heart of them. The packaging changes merely to suit different uses and needs around the primary requirement of performance.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, newbie69 said:

You refer to Sportline DCC or non adaptive Sportline?

DCC - all NZ Sportlines have it.  I'm talking stock cars, no point comparing modified ones. 

18 minutes ago, penguin17 said:

So far the current sorta "pathway" I have for the garage are getting an M340i Touring or C43 Estate then probably replacing the Kodiaq with a facelift mid-2022, or getting a 7.5R wagon then upgrading the Kodiaq to an X5 30D mid-2022. Problem with the first option is that there's too many niggles with the 3 Series (crap underfloor boot space as I use it often, run flats) and the C43 (crap RHD conversion as driver footwell is tiny and the footrest is probably an inch wide, unreasonable fuel economy compared to the BMW, don't like the rear end much), so I'm leaning towards getting the 7.5R to be honest.

I already have the Kodiaq, so I don't need the extra space of the Superb. I never really have more than two people in the car at a time, but I do a lot of sporting and weekend trips with mates, so the boot space is more important to me than rear passenger space. 

Edited by ZacDaMan72

Just now, newbie69 said:

From an objective point of view right??

Of course 😃 

Just now, ZacDaMan72 said:

DCC - all NZ Sportlines have it.  I'm talking stock cars, no point comparing modified ones. 

So far the current sorta "pathway" I have for the garage are getting an M340i Touring or C43 Estate then probably replacing the Kodiaq with a facelift mid-2022, or getting a 7.5R wagon then upgrading the Kodiaq to an X5 30D. Problem with the first option is that there's too many niggles with the 3 Series (crap underfloor boot space as I use it often, run flats) and the C43 (crap RHD conversion as driver footwell is tiny and the footrest is probably an inch wide, unreasonable fuel economy compared to the BMW, don't like the rear end much), so I'm leaning towards getting the 7.5R to be honest.

I already have the Kodiaq, so I don't need the extra space of the Superb. I never really have more than two people in the car at a time, but I do a lot of sporting and weekend trips with mates, so the boot space is more important to me than rear passenger space. 

Having had a SEAT Leon ST for a few years previous to the Superb, I know the Golf estate/wagon is more than practical enough.  It's still a practical family car and not exactly cramped.  It's just the Superb is the size of a small moon! 

2 minutes ago, penguin17 said:

Having had a SEAT Leon ST for a few years previous to the Superb, I know the Golf estate/wagon is more than practical enough.  It's still a practical family car and not exactly cramped.  It's just the Superb is the size of a small moon! 

I reckon the rear passenger space is crap in the golf wagon (for a family car), wouldn’t be keen on having two adults in the back. Maybe I’m just used to the palatial space in the Kodiaq. 

Edited by ZacDaMan72
  • Like 2

14 minutes ago, penguin17 said:

Of course 😃 

I would probably disagree there If having child seats in the car. You easily end up pushing the front seats forward enough to make them uncomfortable (especially for the front passenger) in a Golf/Leon cabin, that was my case actually in the GTI. Or, you have to accept the children hitting the backs of the front seats with their feet all the time (or with the back of their seat when its placed rear-facing). I'd say the roomier cabin of the Superb is being much more appreciated by our family than the big boot which is mostly empty except for road trips. That was one of the reasons we had to abandon the R estate option as it would not equal to an upgrade from the GTI cabin wise.

12 minutes ago, ZacDaMan72 said:

I reckon the rear passenger space is crap in the golf wagon (for a family car), wouldn’t be keen on having two adults in the back. Maybe I’m just used to the palatial space in the Kodiaq. 

Haha yeah, you got me to it!

I would probably disagree there If having child seats in the car.

We did; one a booster chair but a proper one, not just the base.  The other a full on baby seat.   No problems. 

I didn't get the Golf because I wanted to play football in the back 🤣 You win! The Superb is bigger 😂

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, penguin17 said:

We did; one a booster chair but a proper one, not just the base.  The other a full on baby seat.   No problems. 

I didn't get the Golf because I wanted to play football in the back 🤣 You win! The Superb is bigger 😂

I believe you, it also depends how bulky the seat is. The likes of Britax are usually pretty beefed up and I am not lying when I say that when placed rear-facing, it was touching the back of the front seat which meant with a bit of movement from a careless passenger could end up lifting the child seat behind it slightly. And when it was turned forward the image of the little one kicking the back of the front seats casually was too much to handle  :D

Also now, a third average sized adult could fit in-between two child seats at the back (esp. for like 2hr trips). On the Golf the same attempt would be much less successful.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, newbie69 said:

Also now, a third average sized adult could fit in-between two child seats at the back (esp. for like 2hr trips). On the Golf the same attempt would be much less successful.

No wonder you need 400BHP with all the people you are chauffeuring around 😉

1 minute ago, penguin17 said:

No wonder you need 400BHP with all the people you are chauffeuring around 😉

My points exactly to the missus  :notme:

However I drive it like @shyVRS245 when any other family member is in so even a 1.5 TSI would have sufficed for that sort of use in reality. Colleagues on the other side, not so much. All that extra power comes particularly handy for those pesky types that always happen to forget their car keys when going for a group lunch at work :D

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, newbie69 said:

Interesting 297kw showing there. While you are at it, do you want to say something about the fuel consumption? I read like what, 2 pages of replies and nobody mentioned fuel consumption yet... 😛

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

19 minutes ago, KeteCantek said:

Interesting 297kw showing there. While you are at it, do you want to say something about the fuel consumption? I read like what, 2 pages of replies and nobody mentioned fuel consumption yet... 😛

Standard 272 is rated at 200kW and my stage 1 makes 268kW so the indicated 297kW suggests 398bhp (403PS). Must be good for............50mpg.:whew:

• Haha 1

20 minutes ago, KeteCantek said:

:rofl::rofl::rofl:     Comment of the month by far

I am saving the mpg comments for when I do the review of the full REVO stage 1 :biggrin:

Just now, shyVRS245 said:

Standard 272 is rated at 200kW and my stage 1 makes 268kW so the indicated 297kW suggests 398bhp (403PS). Must be good for............50mpg.:whew:

If only I could drive it like you do Shy! Alas, I just came back from a completely unnecessary, but quite amusing, drive, burning fuel and listening to music, my consumption has been going down since I remapped it, I must have forgot to ask them to enable the high mpg mode :tongueout:

@ZacDaMan72   And I confirmed the infotainment shows the remap values of boost and kw, peaking at around 298kw and 2.63bar (minus ambient) tonight.

• Like 2

If only I could drive it like you do Shy! Alas, I just came back from a completely unnecessary, but quite amusing, drive, burning fuel and listening to music, my consumption has been going down since I remapped it, I must have forgot to ask them to enable the high mpg mode :tongueout:

@ZacDaMan72   And I confirmed the infotainment shows the remap values of boost and kw, peaking at around 298kw and 2.63bar (minus ambient) tonight.

Does the info convert to bhp on the newer model?