Upgrading Headunit to Columbus?

Seeing as everyone here seems pretty knowledgeable, can anyone please tell me if there is any benefit to changing the display on my 2016 RS from the 8" Columbus setup to an Amundsen 8" display, other than the capacitive rather than physical buttons? It's a shame the 9.2" screen isn't backward compatible.

3 hours ago, sm00thArsenal said:

Seeing as everyone here seems pretty knowledgeable, can anyone please tell me if there is any benefit to changing the display on my 2016 RS from the 8" Columbus setup to an Amundsen 8" display, other than the capacitive rather than physical buttons? It's a shame the 9.2" screen isn't backward compatible.

other than the buttons i dont think theres much difference.

Ok so i had the component protection removed (£60) on the Amundsen MIB2 and the flat screen is a big improvement. Alot of the functionality i had ie the reversing camera is gone, the phone doesnt connect, sat nav is disabled  etc. 

@SashaGrace im guessing these are the things Pawel can fix?

im running with one of the screens that has a dead pixel and to be honest its not noticable most fo the time and i can put up with it for getting a screen thats half the price. I love the capacitance touch screen though so much easier than than tiny bolero.

the second screen had a similar issue with a v small hairline. but as these are such a pain to find im going to live with it as its not that bad, can you see it just in the middle of the radio two logo?

trialfit1.jpg

this is forsale at £180 posted.... if no one wants it ill stick it on ebay. there are no marks anywhere either on the glass or the bezel. Ive fitted a protector that hides the tiny line even more.

so its head unit out for me and send it off to @pab567

1 hour ago, JohnnyType2 said:

Ok so i had the component protection removed (£60) on the Amundsen MIB2 and the flat screen is a big improvement. Alot of the functionality i had ie the reversing camera is gone, the phone doesnt connect, sat nav is disabled  etc. 

@SashaGrace im guessing these are the things Pawel can fix?

im running with one of the screens that has a dead pixel and to be honest its not noticable most fo the time and i can put up with it for getting a screen thats half the price. I love the capacitance touch screen though so much easier than than tiny bolero.

Yes, Pawel will sort all those for you. On a different note, did you fit the reverse camera and how much extra wiring is there for that out of interest? Thanks :)

yes fitted easy enough. just locate a switched power at the back of the car and run the camera output to the front. I found that a ford  mondeo handle mounted cam was the exact correct size and lower profile as i have the smaller aperture for the handle (so no cutting required)

I followed instructions from Trust2Ks post.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, JohnnyType2 said:

the second screen had a similar issue with a v small hairline. but as these are such a pain to find im going to live with it as its not that bad, can you see it just in the middle of the radio two logo?

trialfit1.jpg

this is forsale at £180 posted.... if no one wants it ill stick it on ebay. there are no marks anywhere either on the glass or the bezel. Ive fitted a protector that hides the tiny line even more.

Im interested, send me a PM :)

37 minutes ago, JohnnyType2 said:

yes fitted easy enough. just locate a switched power at the back of the car and run the camera output to the front. I found that a ford  mondeo handle mounted cam was the exact correct size and lower profile as i have the smaller aperture for the handle (so no cutting required)

I followed instructions from Trust2Ks post.

Interesting. What generation Mondeo? Or a link to the camera would be ideal if you have one. It’s getting further up the mod list :)

17 hours ago, sm00thArsenal said:

The 9.2” screen is compatible with MIB2 Columbus once Pawel has modded it to MIB2.5 spec just in case you are wondering :)

1 hour ago, SashaGrace said:

Interesting. What generation Mondeo? Or a link to the camera would be ideal if you have one. It’s getting further up the mod list :)

this was the one that fitted my handle with no cutting, i have the smaller aperture boot handle,

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Custom-Fit-Rear-Reversing-Camera-Reverse-Backup-Boot-Handle-For-Ford-Mondeo-Mk5/172298845838?epid=650519267&hash=item281dcfbe8e:g:bE8AAOSwPWRZWL4C:rk:18:pf:0

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, SashaGrace said:

The 9.2” screen is compatible with MIB2 Columbus once Pawel has modded it to MIB2.5 spec just in case you are wondering :)

That's cool! Presumably it's some form of hardware modification though, which seems unlikely to happen here in Australia. I'm guessing the 9.2" screen wouldn't fit my dash anyway. To be fair the 8+ Columbus screen is pretty good, just feels a bit low res sometimes.

10 hours ago, JohnnyType2 said:

Is this an upgrade on the default camera? I noticed this week whilst driving a current model Kia Rio, that the camera on my car is a bit average by comparison :( Just had a quick look though and my handle looks to be more like 105-110mm across, so perhaps not the same?

2 hours ago, sm00thArsenal said:

That's cool! Presumably it's some form of hardware modification though, which seems unlikely to happen here in Australia. I'm guessing the 9.2" screen wouldn't fit my dash anyway. To be fair the 8+ Columbus screen is pretty good, just feels a bit low res sometimes.

Is this an upgrade on the default camera? I noticed this week whilst driving a current model Kia Rio, that the camera on my car is a bit average by comparison :( Just had a quick look though and my handle looks to be more like 105-110mm across, so perhaps not the same?

Yes the 9.2 will fit any MK3 octavia dash

you have the later model? >2016? then you have much more choice and can go vw or audi as they are this larger size. this is a retrofit, not an upgrade.

Edited by JohnnyType2

2 hours ago, sm00thArsenal said:

The 9.2 fits the same aperture in the dash as the 8 inch Columbus one and indeed any other Octy 3 screen, the hole is the same size. Pawel could do the unit for you and you could source the screens from EU sources and have it shipped over to AUS, but I imagine it’d be at vast expense!!!

13 hours ago, JohnnyType2 said:

Thanks :) I also have the smaller boot handle aperture as mine is MY14. I guess this camera works with the VAG wiring from Car Systems as used by Trusk2k in his thread? Sorry for all the questions, the reverse camera is one of the mods I find hard to get my head around as there are so many threads with so few answers! From my understanding, I need the VAG wiring and this camera and the coding. Is there anything else that needs to be done for the camera to work? My rear park sensors are still bust but it’s payday today so I’m out shopping for the modules and other extras I like the look of :D

On 11/10/2018 at 15:51, JohnnyType2 said:

trialfit1.jpg

Seems odd that 2 units would have the same issue, you sure its not an issue with the connector and screen?

9 hours ago, pab567 said:

A - MY16, SW 02xx, can be hacked with SW only

B - MY17, SW 03xx, requires both SW and HW hack

C - MY18, SW 04xx, requires both SW and HW hack

Other than that, there are no functionality differences?

11 hours ago, SashaGrace said:

The 9.2 fits the same aperture in the dash as the 8 inch Columbus one and indeed any other Octy 3 screen, the hole is the same size. Pawel could do the unit for you and you could source the screens from EU sources and have it shipped over to AUS, but I imagine it’d be at vast expense!!!

Yeah, I’m pretty sure I don’t need a higher resolution screen that much! ;) Thanks for the info though, very interesting to hear.

12 hours ago, JohnnyType2 said:

Yes the 9.2 will fit any MK3 octavia dash

you have the later model? >2016? then you have much more choice and can go vw or audi as they are this larger size. this is a retrofit, not an upgrade.

Yeah mine is a 2016 build MY17, thanks for the clarification.

Any tips on where to find the latest and greatest camera that will fit? I had a bit of a search last night and couldn’t really find anything definitive on upgrades.. and I’m keen to get my camera at least to the level of a Kia Rio, heh.

this is the head unit an amundsen facelift to replace the 5" original bolero. Ive added a screen protector which does cut down on glare CP removed but still to enable most of the functions which are lost by CP removal.

like i said this is forsale offers around £400 free shipping in the UK

Edited by JohnnyType2