Mileage computer resets

I have a Mk111 Octy SE Hatch with 1.5 TSi and ACT. Does any one else have the annoyance of the mileage/trip computer randomly resetting? On my car, the three readings, ie, Since Start, Since Refuelling and Longterm all reset and start calculating fuel usage and distance travelled again from zero. It seems to happen between turning off the engine and restarting and happens about once in every two weeks. I have also noticed that the radio defaults to FM when the reset happens. I always have DAB selected but it goes to FM. I have not noticed anything else changed after the reset, radio preselects are not lost and other user choices remain unchanged.

31 minutes ago, SoupDragon said:

I have a Mk111 Octy SE Hatch with 1.5 TSi and ACT. Does any one else have the annoyance of the mileage/trip computer randomly resetting? On my car, the three readings, ie, Since Start, Since Refuelling and Longterm all reset and start calculating fuel usage and distance travelled again from zero. It seems to happen between turning off the engine and restarting and happens about once in every two weeks. I have also noticed that the radio defaults to FM when the reset happens. I always have DAB selected but it goes to FM. I have not noticed anything else changed after the reset, radio preselects are not lost and other user choices remain unchanged.

Usually resets to zero every 100 hours driven, so you must do a lot of miles if it's happening as frequently as you claim!:blush:

3 minutes ago, SoupDragon said:

No way do I drive 100 hours in two weeks. Wouldn't that just be the Longterm data reset?

Yes 100 hours only resets the long term.

Since start and since refuel should reset when their names suggest - though since start doesn't reset if you start up again within a couple of hours.

Mine seems to reset the long term every 3 or 4 weeks. I do about 600 Miles and it seems to reset at approx. 2500 Miles.

Does anyone know if it is possible to turn off automatic reset or to extend the period / mileage ?

A manual reset of the individual current, since refuel and long-term modes can be accomplished by pressing the function scroll wheel on the steering wheel for a few seconds. Short presses change the mode.

Is it possible you are pressing it inadvertently for longer than required to change or when scrolling, or it might be  defective and unusually sensitive?

Edited by Gerrycan

• 9 months later...

Did anyone manage to find out what is causing this issue? For me it happens randomly. Sometimes it resets also other things (since start, since refueling, long term, trip and also clock is reset from GPS to manual setup). Sometimes it takes 1000 miles to reset sometimes 500. Sometimes I happens 2-3 times a day! I already contacted my dealer via email but no response so far. I read on other forum that it can be caused by fluctuations of voltage in the battery. But no one knows why also Skoda is struggling to find out root cause. Does anyone has some more info regarding this? it is really frustrating

• 2 months later...

Hi there,

as it seems there is a solution for this problem and that is a new software for the "instrument cluster". Taken from https://forum.skodahome.cz/topic/126687-palubn%C3%AD-pc-se-nuluje-s%C3%A1m/page/3/#comments

(it is in Czech, but I guess Google Translate can help)...
Shortly SKODA has published a TPI (it stands for Technical Product Information) number 2053062/2, published on the 4th of July 2019. It describes mentioned problem - the memory is sporadically reset)

Affected instrument clusters

5E0 920 730E
5E0 920 731E
5E0 920 780E
5E0 920 781E
5E0 920 930E
5E0 920 931E
5E0 920 980E
5E0 920 981E

And the solution is a new SW...

Mine is listed and I've already visited SKODA service and SW was updated. It is too early to say it is fixed... (only few KMs driven),  but I hope it is...

So I would recommend to visit SKODA service and ask to upgrade SW of the instrument cluster (you can refer to the TPI number, but I believe they can find the issue by themselves)

• Like 1

My new 66 plate pre f/l 230 does this, thought i was going mad but mine does it with distance as well as fuelling.

Is there a way of finding out what cluster we have rather than taking it out and looking at part number 

Edited by dsj20v

I used Android app Carista and OBDII bluetooth adapter for few bucks... (not only for getting the number, but originally to fine tuning settings)

If you experience describe problems that all memories ("From Start", "Since fueling", "Long term") are  reset at once & randomly then it is worth to taking it to the service and ask for upgrade... 

• 7 months later...
  • 3 years later...

i had the same problem on my 2018 octavia. The problem was solved by disconnecting the car battery, leaving for an hour and then reconnecting the car battery. 

since start, since refuel and long term mpg info all working as it should.

PS.  factory resets on the infotainment never worked to solve the problem.

• 4 weeks later...

Same issue.

2019 Octavia Mk3 Estate.
Taking car in tomorrow. Hopefully a software update will fix it.
I'll update if there is any information to share.

• 2 weeks later...

"Faulty fuel sensor..." according to diagnosis.
Repaired. No change. Still resetting "since start", "long term" and "since refuel" for no reason.

I appreciate I don't know what I'm talking about and that computers can do squirrely things, but surely a faulty fuel sensor might reset "since refuel" but why would that reset "since start" and "long term"?

Now I have to book it in again. Frustrating.

• Sad 1

• 3 weeks later...

I think it was mentioned by another user here or maybe another thread that the fault might relate to short stops (engine fully off then start again). Or at least it is occurring during that process.

I am definitely finding that the reset occurs after short stops.

Every time I notice a reset, I check the miles since it happened and it is always a mid-journey engine stop then start again. 

Does anyone know if this could info could point to something which might be causing it?

(since start, long-term and since refuel all resetting randomly)

(It's booked in again next week)

Edited by mhr

1 minute ago, mhr said:

Every time I notice a reset, I check the miles since it happened and it is always a mid-journey engine stop then start again. 

Does anyone know if this could info could point to something which might be causing it?

Low battery voltage caused by an engine restart, suggesting a battery with high internal resistance and in poor health?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, PetrolDave said:

Low battery voltage caused by an engine restart, suggesting a battery with high internal resistance and in poor health?

Many thanks for your reply. If low voltage was a suspected cause, would it not be happening more often after the vehicle was left for longer? Overnight, over a weekend, or after returning from holiday?

I have never noticed it happen in those scenarios, only after short mid-journey stops.

Would even a poorly battery, not have it's best fighting chance when the car has just been running for a good length of time?

12 hours ago, mhr said:

Many thanks for your reply. If low voltage was a suspected cause, would it not be happening more often after the vehicle was left for longer? Overnight, over a weekend, or after returning from holiday?

If the open circuit voltage is good but the battery has high internal resistance then the voltage will drop when cranking - that's my thoughts?

I'd suggest a load test on the battery as this will either prove or eliminate this as a possible cause.

• Like 2

On 12/04/2024 at 07:50, PetrolDave said:

If the open circuit voltage is good but the battery has high internal resistance then the voltage will drop when cranking - that's my thoughts?

I'd suggest a load test on the battery as this will either prove or eliminate this as a possible cause.

Again, thank you for your comments @PetrolDave. Much appreciated.

I don't have a meter which stores max/min but just taking readings by eye. Voltage is good at rest but I see it dropping to 10.3V and 10.5V during a couple of starts.

Garage has looked at it again. Still nothing identified but now focusing on the instrument cluster.

55 minutes ago, mhr said:

Again, thank you for your comments @PetrolDave. Much appreciated.

I don't have a meter which stores max/min but just taking readings by eye. Voltage is good at rest but I see it dropping to 10.3V and 10.5V during a couple of starts.

Garage has looked at it again. Still nothing identified but now focusing on the instrument cluster.

Have the garage done a load test on the battery? - eliminate the simple before searching for the complex (and expensive).

• Like 1