SE-Tech DSG Paddles

Hi everyone, I’m in the process of looking for my next car. Unsurprisingly I’m looking at an Octavia (what else would I be here?).  I have a couple of questions if anyone can answer?

if I go for se-tech 1.0 dsg will it have paddles on the steering wheel for the dsg?  I can’t find anything about it online. A friend has an se-tech Karoq which had the, A’s standard at the start of the year but Skoda seem to be changing standard spec weekly at the moment?  Anyone else have one of theses?  How’s the 1.0 cope! It’s such a small 3 cylinder unit it doesn’t quite seem possible?

does anyone know if the se-tech is a trim aimed specifically at contract hire only or can it be bought on PCP too?

look forward to any replies.

kenny

• 1 month later...

Probably far too late, but stumbled across this searching for something. The paddles for DSG are definitely an optional extra, they cost £210 on SE Tech.

I haven't got the 1.0 DSG (yet) and understood the concern about the engine size but reviews of the engine are very positive - as long as you don't trundle down the motorway on a very regular basis and aren't expecting thrills it should be fine from what I've read. Interestingly, I'm changing from a 1.5 diesel Qashqai which copes just fine and I looked up some figures: the 1.0 Octy has 5 more bhp and is almost 200kg lighter, as well as having a lower centre of mass. Granted the Qashqai has a fair whack more torque (44 lb-ft) but the Skoda is almost 2 seconds faster at 0-60 and has a higher top speed too, so the lower torque doesn't seem to cause much bother :)

3 minutes ago, KevC_Derby said:

My 1.5d Qashqai was dangerous pulling out onto fast roads, hadn’t got enough ooomph for the weight of the car.

Sure, it's not quick but I can't say it's ever felt dangerous in the 2 and a bit years I've had it.

On 09/09/2018 at 21:00, Kenny.j said:

Hi everyone, I’m in the process of looking for my next car. Unsurprisingly I’m looking at an Octavia (what else would I be here?).  I have a couple of questions if anyone can answer?

if I go for se-tech 1.0 dsg will it have paddles on the steering wheel for the dsg?  I can’t find anything about it online. A friend has an se-tech Karoq which had the, A’s standard at the start of the year but Skoda seem to be changing standard spec weekly at the moment?  Anyone else have one of theses?  How’s the 1.0 cope! It’s such a small 3 cylinder unit it doesn’t quite seem possible?

does anyone know if the se-tech is a trim aimed specifically at contract hire only or can it be bought on PCP too?

look forward to any replies.

kenny

Hi there Kenny, I have the 1.0 tsi 3 pot in S trim. 17MY, quartz grey. Have it just 3 weeks now and very happy with it. When you test it you will know it has power. A lot of people doubt it but not after they drive it. 

• Like 1

On ‎09‎/‎09‎/‎2018 at 21:00, Kenny.j said:

How’s the 1.0 cope! It’s such a small 3 cylinder unit it doesn’t quite seem possible?

To add to this, I've just been watching this Autogefuehl review of the 2018 FL - he says he's driving the 1.0 TSI in this and is very complimentary about the engine performance. He goes onto the autobahn at about 22 mins in.

I've just done 600+ miles in my 1.0 SE Tech (DSG), all of it motorway (Teesside to Ashford and back) and it happily cruised at 75mph, quiet and comfortable, absolutely no bother and happily overtook when needed. Got around 52mpg indicated (used around a half a tank of fuel on the way back by the fuel gauge, ~320 miles, ~5 hours). Used Waze via Android Auto, with the DAB playing away in the background! Was dark most of the trip back and lights were really good. Was a pleasure to drive and I'd happily recommend it, even if people were doing lots of motorway miles - diesel is probably always going to be more economical though, I think.

• Like 2

I am so close to pulling the trigger on a 1.0 SE Tech as a second car, at £3780 for 2 years and 16k miles I would probably loose that on my car in depreciation and mine is now 4 years old. Can get a nice Octy/Fab 2 for that money and drive it off a cliff at the end of the 2 years and be no worse off but that’s a new car vs a 10 year old one, so apples and oranges. Tempted much :)

4 hours ago, maffyou said:

To add to this, I've just been watching this Autogefuehl review of the 2018 FL - he says he's driving the 1.0 TSI in this and is very complimentary about the engine performance. He goes onto the autobahn at about 22 mins in.

Hi there Maffyou , I havent driven it on motorway yet but can agree it is amazing. Feels like you are driving something more powerful like a 2.0.  Must be down to the turbo charged technology. There are many doubters until they drive it.   Also it will be without many of the diesel issues. 

21 minutes ago, melbury said:

Hi there Maffyou , I havent driven it on motorway yet but can agree it is amazing. Feels like you are driving something more powerful like a 2.0.  Must be down to the turbo charged technology. There are many doubters until they drive it.   Also it will be without many of the diesel issues. 

The gear ratio/boost profile in smaller/turbo engines is more setup for city driving I think, i.e. better at 0-60 than 60+.

My wifes 0.9 tce flies like poo of a stick around the doors, but 60+ it's not so great. 

4 hours ago, SashaGrace said:

I am so close to pulling the trigger on a 1.0 SE Tech as a second car, at £3780 for 2 years and 16k miles I would probably loose that on my car in depreciation and mine is now 4 years old. Can get a nice Octy/Fab 2 for that money and drive it off a cliff at the end of the 2 years and be no worse off but that’s a new car vs a 10 year old one, so apples and oranges. Tempted much :)

Would that be the current PCH deal?

ETA - don’t stress yourselves too much about paddle shifters. Having owned a Leon DSG and now a BMW 8-speed auto the paddles are a short-lived gimmick. Only used properly a couple of times to descend icy inclines but could have used the gear lever to achieve the same, the rest of the time was just faffing about because they are there. Paid extra for them as a factory option on the Leon at the time but they are standard equipment on the 3-er.

Edited by ronime
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, SashaGrace said:

I worry I’d be stung for damage charges at the end because there would probably be quite bit!!

Do your other cars get damaged a bit as it is? 

I'm paying £80 to a third-party to fix where I scraped the bumper with a bike pedal on my current PCH but BVRLA fair wear and tear guidelines and so long as generally look after it, you shouldn't have to pay anything more than a cheap valet and a service (or two, depending on whether they do fixed vs variable)

• Like 1

4 hours ago, SashaGrace said:

Someone with a sadistic other half who hates cars? I worry I’d be stung for damage charges at the end because there would probably be quite bit!!

Not having leased before, I was worrying about the damage bit too, but thinking about it you pay however you have the car. If you're the owner you lose out on the value of the car when you come to sell or trade-in, or pay to repair it anyway because you don't want unsightly damage on it. So there isn't much difference really. You see some scare stories online about being charged hundreds or thousands but inevitably when you look into the details it's someone chancing returning a damaged car and expecting to get away with a badly kerbed wheel or the prang etc.

Of course there's a chance I'm back on here complaining in 2 and a bit years, but I think it's unlikely! :laugh:

• Like 1

I've had quite a few PCH and PCP vehicles and never had to pay a penny at the end for damage,

As long as you stick to the guidelines they are pretty fair.

I've had some damage during the term but have a good local smart repairer that takes care of minor dings and scrapes. I'd have had them done anyway if it was my own car so no difference in costs there.

Lee

• Like 1

I’m not worried about me damaging a car and I’ve done a PCH before. The 1.0 SE Tech would be for my OH who has only ever had 2 cars, a tatty Pug 206 for 6 years then my old Citigo for the last 11 months. Poor Citigo has started to suffer as a result, quite a few marks on the body and wheels that I’ll have to deal with come return time. I’d hate to think how a bigger car would fare, but maybe I’m being a little unfair, maybe it’s me who’s over careful, but other than a handful of chips on the front from the mileage, I had 12 total damage free months in the Citigo from new and put 11k miles on it, and other than an unlucky brush with a loose kerbstone just rubbing the diamond finish from one of my rear wheels the same is true of the Octy. A 10 year old Octy/Fab is not too bad as a second car as it doesn’t matter so much. My car gets filled with all sorts of family rubbish but it remains a tidy car despite its years and anti social mileage. 

Edited by SashaGrace

25 minutes ago, SashaGrace said:

I’m not worried about me damaging a car and I’ve done a PCH before. The 1.0 SE Tech would be for my OH who has only ever had 2 cars, a tatty Pug 206 for 6 years then my old Citigo for the last 11 months. Poor Citigo has started to suffer as a result, quite a few marks on the body and wheels that I’ll have to deal with come return time. I’d hate to think how a bigger car would fare, but maybe I’m being a little unfair, maybe it’s me who’s over careful, but other than a handful of chips on the front from the mileage, I had 12 total damage free months in the Citigo from new and put 11k miles on it, and other than an unlucky brush with a loose kerbstone just rubbing the diamond finish from one of my rear wheels the same is true of the Octy. A 10 year old Octy/Fab is not too bad as a second car as it doesn’t matter so much. My car gets filled with all sorts of family rubbish but it remains a tidy car despite its years and anti social mileage. 

Give the hubby a bike... :D

That being said, I know the feeling. I bought the wife a new car, after being lumped with dealing with all her crappy run abouts. Worse mistake ever, as £12k down, she has treated it like crap and now I have to pay the balloon payment, as it's likely just as expensive to repair everything.

Ok, so I feel I should update.  I’ve now driven both the 1.0 tsi & 1.5tsi.  I have to say the 1.0 was mighty impressive. However I’ve decided to go with the 1.5tsi SEL. Ordered on Monday with Delivery in March.  The 5 month wait will feel like 5 years. 

Now on for my findings, I get that others may think deifferntly but this I what I think based on my driving style and the areas I’ll be driving. 

I tried them back to back with both up to operating temperature when I set off.  I drove them both on the same 12 mile route trying where possible to keep the two runs the same.  The 1.0 managed 47mpg and the 1.5 actually managed 51!  I found the 1.0 perfectly adequate but the power doesn’t really kick it till about 2300rpm, anything below that and it feels flat.  The 1.5 by comparison kicks its heels and takes off from about 1300rpm. So from that point of view the 1.5 feels more flexible and more akin to a diesel driving style (which I like).  So basecin my personal experience the 1.5 was the only choice, it has both power and efficiency. 

One thing I did notice was that even which the revs up high fir power the 1.0 was quieter than the 1.5. Not that the 1.5 was particularly noisey, I just noticed that the 1.0 was a much quieter drive?  Had I chosen the 1.0 without driving them both I’m sure I would have been very happy with it, but having driven them both for me it had to be the 1.5tsi.

id be interested to hear if anyone else tried both and what their thoughts were?

Kenny.

Edited by Kenny.j
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, SashaGrace said:

Damaging a Citigo takes some effort - they’re tiny! I can see your concern - if the car isn’t going to be looked after then a cheap 2nd hand is probably a better option I guess. 

@Kenny.j Fair enough, I'm not surprised to hear the 1.5 was a better engine! Glad you're happy with your decision. To be honest, if you could spec the 1.5 SE Tech with DSG I'd have probably gone for that too, but I'm sure the 1.0 will be fine for my needs.

1 hour ago, Kenny.j said:

Ok, so I feel I should update.  I’ve now driven both the 1.0 tsi & 1.5tsi.  I have to say the 1.0 was mighty impressive. However I’ve decided to go with the 1.5tsi SEL. Ordered on Monday with Delivery in March.  The 5 month wait will feel like 5 years. 

Now on for my findings, I get that others may think deifferntly but this I what I think based on my driving style and the areas I’ll be driving. 

I tried them back to back with both up to operating temperature when I set off.  I drove them both on the same 12 mile route trying where possible to keep the two runs the same.  The 1.0 managed 47mpg and the 1.5 actually managed 51!  I found the 1.0 perfectly adequate but the power doesn’t really kick it till about 2300rpm, anything below that and it feels flat.  The 1.5 by comparison kicks its heels and takes off from about 1300rpm. So from that point of view the 1.5 feels more flexible and more akin to a diesel driving style (which I like).  So basecin my personal experience the 1.5 was the only choice, it has both power and efficiency. 

One thing I did notice was that even which the revs up high fir power the 1.0 was quieter than the 1.5. Not that the 1.5 was particularly noisey, I just noticed that the 1.0 was a much quieter drive?  Had I chosen the 1.0 without driving them both I’m sure I would have been very happy with it, but having driven them both for me it had to be the 1.5tsi.

id be interested to hear if anyone else tried both and what their thoughts were?

Kenny.

I've had my 1.5TSI Estate for just shy of a month so far and would say that I would broadly agree with with your test drive experience. Slightly louder than the 1.0 but not really a drama. What does still impress me with the 1.5 is just tapping down into sport mode on the DSG for overtaking it pulls brilliantly. I'm getting around 50mpg on longer runs, 51.5 on the last one from Glasgow to Gateshead via the boarders which was a bit of motorway but a lot of twisty A roads. Mid 40's on the 5 mile commute. Pretty much on par with my previous 1.6D mk2 Focus so I'm happy with that. 

Being my first auto I've owned, I'm not regretting with the DSG at all. Given my time with it so far I'd struggle to see how the manual paddles would enhance it. My job of 20+ years has me in hire cars quite often, many of which are autos. The 7 speed box in the Octavia is easily amongst the best I've experienced. I think I'd struggle to go back to owning a manual now.